Author Topic: Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3  (Read 3949 times)

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3
« on: Aug 29, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Hi Everyone,

just looking to get people's opinions if they use the unit. It would be primarily my open water unit, but may convert to use it on the ice. Originally I was going to get the Helix 5 but since I want side imaging it seems as though the 5 inch screen would be too small. So I'm looking at the Helix 7 SI Gen2 and love the price point and is right what I wanted to spend on a unit. Is the extra $150 or so bucks worth it for the Gen 3? I'm not in need of a networking unit. Just chart plotter and maps.

thanks for any insight.
Tight Lines!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helix 7 SI Gen2 vs Gen3
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2019, 01:40 PM »
I don't have a Helix.  I have Garmin EchoMaps, but this advice is universal.

To make a long story short...  More screen = more pixels.  More pixels = more details.  More details = more clarity.

Buy what you can afford.  No one ever complains about their depth finder screen being too big.  I have a 9" screen on my boat and would like to go bigger.  I think 9" would be overkill on the ice, but side imaging is a different beast all together.

-  Jim
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I don't have a Helix.  I have Garmin EchoMaps, but this advice is universal.

To make a long story short...  More screen = more pixels.  More pixels = more details.  More details = more clarity.

Buy what you can afford.  No one ever complains about their depth finder screen being too big.  I have a 9" screen on my boat and would like to go bigger.  I think 9" would be overkill on the ice, but side imaging is a different beast all together.

-  Jim

Good advice here. the only thing I would say is that if you're going to go with Garmin panoptix or Livescope that the 9" screen is a must have imo. I've used both a 7" and a 9" with original panoptix and the 9" was worlds better. I've only used a 9-inch with livescope, but I can't see wanting to go back to a smaller screen.

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2019, 08:38 AM »
thanks for the replies. I'm not stuck so much on screen size as Gen2 vs Gen3. Definitely ditching the 5 and going with the 7, might give Garmin a shot but seems a lot pricier
Tight Lines!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2019, 12:46 PM »
Good advice here. the only thing I would say is that if you're going to go with Garmin panoptix or Livescope that the 9" screen is a must have imo. I've used both a 7" and a 9" with original panoptix and the 9" was worlds better. I've only used a 9-inch with livescope, but I can't see wanting to go back to a smaller screen.

I agree on the livescope point.  If you're going to get a Garmin and use it for livescope, then I would definitely get the 9" at a minimum since it will primarily be an open water unit.  If you're sticking with a Helix then I still say buy the biggest you can afford. 
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2019, 01:08 PM »

This isn't exactly correct.  Both the Helix 5 and 7 have the same pixel count, both are 800H x 480v.  Different size, brightness and of different quality constituent LED.  Same with a Garmin, same #, differing quality.  You need to go bigger like a Helix 9 to actually get more pixels. 

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2019, 01:56 PM »
This isn't exactly correct.  Both the Helix 5 and 7 have the same pixel count, both are 800H x 480v.  Different size, brightness and of different quality constituent LED.  Same with a Garmin, same #, differing quality.  You need to go bigger like a Helix 9 to actually get more pixels.

I stand corrected.  So maybe bigger isn't better???  Just kidding - it totally is when it comes to screens.

Offline Vinny1892

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2019, 03:35 PM »
How are these units with batteries? Do they eat through them quickly?

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2019, 05:29 AM »
For side image you do want the larger screen. you just need to make sure your g2 unit is the gps model. it will have the mapping capabilities. If you are planning to down load your maps onto a pc you will need to buy additional software.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2019, 05:31 AM »
How are these units with batteries? Do they eat through them quickly?
My Helix will fish all day, with maybe 50% usage.
Keep it safe! JDL

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2019, 12:32 PM »
For side image you do want the larger screen. you just need to make sure your g2 unit is the gps model. it will have the mapping capabilities. If you are planning to down load your maps onto a pc you will need to buy additional software.
Keep it safe! JDL

thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting the mapping for sure. So you're saying there is no drastic difference between Gen2 and Gen3?
Tight Lines!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2019, 02:40 PM »

thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting the mapping for sure. So you're saying there is no drastic difference between Gen2 and Gen3?
No I was saying if you didn’t want the networking both units have mapping. The gen 3 is going to give you wider area of coverage. Don’t know how much of a tech head you are, but do a search for difference between gen 2 and three. Will give you a good idea as to if you want to spend the extra cash. Have to say the helix units give you a great bang for the buck. So if you have the cash I would go with the gen, 3. Don’t know where you are shopping but check out Hodges Marine, they have prices that may save you $20.00 or more. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2019, 04:59 PM »
No I was saying if you didn’t want the networking both units have mapping. The gen 3 is going to give you wider area of coverage. Don’t know how much of a tech head you are, but do a search for difference between gen 2 and three. Will give you a good idea as to if you want to spend the extra cash. Have to say the helix units give you a great bang for the buck. So if you have the cash I would go with the gen, 3. Don’t know where you are shopping but check out Hodges Marine, they have prices that may save you $20.00 or more. Good luck!
Keep it safe! JDL
sent you a message!
JDL

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:24 PM »
thank you! Hodges has some great prices. Turns out a friend at work has a Garmin Echomap 73SV (he think it's a G2) but brand new transducer. Says he'd sell it for 350 so might go that route.
Tight Lines!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2019, 06:32 AM »
thank you! Hodges has some great prices. Turns out a friend at work has a Garmin Echomap 73SV (he think it's a G2) but brand new transducer. Says he'd sell it for 350 so might go that route.

For $350 it should be the Echomap chirp at least. That's not a smoking deal, but not terrible. If it's the plus (touchscreen) it's a good deal. If it's the non-chirp it's a bad deal.

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2019, 08:36 AM »
good to know, just asked if it was chirp. If it's not chirp i'm going to pass.
Tight Lines!

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2019, 09:59 AM »
good to know, just asked if it was chirp. If it's not chirp i'm going to pass.

The chirp would be a better deal at $300. That said, the chirp can run the older version of panoptix and the PS22 ducer can sometimes be found for around $500 used, which gets you into the panoptix game for a reasonable price.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.