Author Topic: GLOVES?!?  (Read 15469 times)

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
GLOVES?!?
« on: Sep 14, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Every winter its a new pair that promises me "waterproof" qualitites and "incredible warmth retention" and every year, it's another disappointment on the ice.  My hands go numb (my dad has Reynauds, I probably do too), I sit in the truck and defrost, or hold my hands over the Buddy for 10 minutes. 

I need a pair of gloves that work, that keep water off my fingers and keep them warm.  Most importantly, I need fingered gloves that DO NOT impede my run-n-gun fishing style, and allow me to reel, bait, and take fish off in a manner that isn't cumbersome. 

I've got everything else - auger, shack, rods, heater, Vex - and it all works fine, but the basic need is missing still.  Anyone got advice on the next (last?) pair of gloves I will buy for the upcoming season?
Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: GLOVES?!?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:15 PM »
I need a pair of gloves that work, that keep water off my fingers and keep them warm.  Most importantly, I need fingered gloves that DO NOT impede my run-n-gun fishing style, and allow me to reel, bait, and take fish off in a manner that isn't cumbersome. 

Easy problem to resolve.  Take some with you that is willing to do everything for you except reel in the the fish.  :laugh:  But, seriously...  I bet all of us have similar problems.  As for me, I always take 3-4 pair of gloves/mittens with me because they are inevitably going to get wet or slimy or both.  Another trick I use is to place a wool stocking cap in each coat pocket for extra insulation.  If you do this, wear light gloves that will still keep your hands warm until you can get them back in your pockets.  I also started using a handwarmer that burns Coleman fuel which I alternate from one pocket to the other.  If I'm in my portable I set up a propane lantern and set it between my legs.  This keeps the light out of my eyes, I can alternate hands over the heat, and Jim and Twins don't have to hibernate.

Just my $.02.

Icy Mike

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:26 PM »
 I have a pair of fleece Glommitts ( fingered gloves with a mitt pull over). They also had 40 grams of thinsulate. They repelled water so long as you're not dipping your hand in the hole or in puddles. They did keep my hands plenty warm to temps in the negative degrees. You can put handwarmers in the mitt parts for the added warmth.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:49 PM »
Hey Buck!  Is the Norsky Nook still open there in Osseo??  I graduated from UWEC in 95 and my wife and I used to love to stop in for pie and coffee.

Icy Mike

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:52 PM »
I wish you the best of luck finding a pair of gloves that do everything you want. If by some chance you do find them, you better get a dozen pairs or so because as soon as you tell us about them, they will be sold out for a long time.
       Jim

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:52 PM »
heres one we used on the job     those brown jersy gloves cover those with a nitral glove   and you can also add another glove over that    keeps hands warm and dry
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2007, 01:09 PM »
Hey Buck!  Is the Norsky Nook still open there in Osseo??  I graduated from UWEC in 95 and my wife and I used to love to stop in for pie and coffee.

Icy Mike

Yep it is, except they moved it across the street and built it new, I dunno if the new one was up when you were around, I've lived in this town almost all my life so I don't remember years on stuff like that. Lol, it's a small world
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2007, 04:03 PM »
For gloves I have found that I need to have several pairs with different levels of insulation and then bring a few out so I can match them to the weather.

I use Polypropylene glove liners in milder weather. I bring out several pair because they will get wet.

I use insulated work gloves a lot due to the sturdy construction and cheap price.

My newest pair of gloves are Cabela's GORE-TEX Pinnacle Gloves. They keep my hands warm and dry. They are too much glove for most conditions but they are great when it gets cold.

I often wear a leather lined mitten. I take them off for the reeling, baiting and fish catching. When I put them back on it doesn't take long for the hands to warm back up. It works especially well with the polypro liners. The liners are thin enough to do everything except tie a knot. The mitts are big enough to kneel on if need be when tending to tip-ups.

You will not find one pair of gloves that will do it all for you. You will need to either compromise or use several different ones.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:09 PM »
I too have tried every glove combo I could find and always end up using the brown jersey gloves and just take the one off I hold the fish with when the time comes.  You can judge how good the fish are biting by how cold your hand gets because the glove is off so much ;D ;D  I always keep an extra pair in my bucket just in case but only had to use them once.  Works all the way down to -25 but you have to be faster taking them off.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007, 08:07 PM »
I have had awesome luck with the rubber dipped palm gloves. My local bait shop sells an ultra thick one but I cant seem to find them on the web.

They are kinda like these..Atlas Thermafit

You can leave them on to fight fish handline, and even hold fish to unhook them. The palm is waterproof and slime proof, but the back is knit so they dry quickly if you dunk them. I use these at work too, my hands stay warm unless it is way cold out.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Another thing you might want to try is glove liners. These are on the Dennis Kirk website for snowmobile use.
www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=3408584LXL&store=Main&catId=302&productId=P3408584&leafCatId=30203&mmyId=
These are what I found but not the ones I was looking for. I was looking for the metallic looking ones that the
astronauts used under their space suits.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Skipper - I happened into a pair of these while fishing Bay de Noc a few years ago. I was having trouble with my hands and the baitshop owner had a pair of these gloves called Chilly Grippers (rubber palm with a wool/knit top) and they are awesome. I found them again at Gander Mountain last year for $7 so I bought 4 pairs. They keep your hands dry and warm while still allowing dexterity.

In addition, I also take 3-4 pairs of gloves/mittens along. I like to switch after awhile due to dampness getting in the glove etc...I know a lot of people have had negative experiences with the Ice Armour gloves, but I have never had an issue. I own the gloves and mittens and they have performed beyond my expectations.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:54 AM »
My newest pair of gloves are Cabela's GORE-TEX Pinnacle Gloves. They keep my hands warm and dry. They are too much glove for most conditions but they are great when it gets cold.

I also use the Pinnacles.  Going into the fourth season now.  I also wear a pair of "fingerless" wool gloves underneath which allows me to take the Pinnacles off for added dexterity and not have my hands completely exposed.  The Pinnacle also has a lanyard arrangement on them so you can don't have to set them down on the ice when you need to take them off for just a moment.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2007, 06:48 PM »
gloves...........we don't need no stinkin gloves..... ;) ;D :tipup: :unsure: :tipup: :whistle:

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2007, 08:28 AM »
gloves...........we don't need no stinkin gloves..... ;) ;D :tipup: :unsure: :tipup: :whistle:

I agree.  I have a couple pairs of mittens from wal-mart that the end of the fingers fold back as does the thumb.  They are warm and have a pouch to put a disposable hand warmer in, I wear them out when pulling sled and setting up but once the holes are drilled and the rods get unpacked the gloves come off.  I usually have a towel to dry my hands on.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Another option is a pair of wool lined chopper mittens. They are easy to get on and of, you can get the insides a little wet and they still are ok, and they are the warmest ever with a heat pack inside.

Offline thordoggydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:16 PM »
I have a pair of giant rabbit fur mittens that slip on and off very easily and then I use the polypropylene liner gloves. This combo works awesome. You do not have to wear the mittens very long and your hands are back to being toasty warm. They are very hard to find though.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:23 PM »
For true waterproofness, you need to look at some neoprene gloves.  Made out of the stuff used in wet suits.  They should be good for dexterity as well.  With some type of liner, wool or polypro come to mind, they should be fairly warm. 

To me, warm hands equate with dry hands.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Easy problem to resolve.  Take some with you that is willing to do everything for you except reel in the the fish.  :laugh:  But, seriously...  I bet all of us have similar problems.  As for me, I always take 3-4 pair of gloves/mittens with me because they are inevitably going to get wet or slimy or both.  Another trick I use is to place a wool stocking cap in each coat pocket for extra insulation.  If you do this, wear light gloves that will still keep your hands warm until you can get them back in your pockets.  I also started using a handwarmer that burns Coleman fuel which I alternate from one pocket to the other.  If I'm in my portable I set up a propane lantern and set it between my legs.  This keeps the light out of my eyes, I can alternate hands over the heat, and Jim and Twins don't have to hibernate.

Just my $.02.
Icy Mike
Lmao glad to hear Jim and the twins don't have to hibernate !!!!!!!!!!! :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :tipup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline njsimonson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Panfish are the new walleyes
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I'll check out the Thermafits. 

Born to fish, forced to go to work and think about fishing and talk about fishing with coworkers.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Get an insulated muff that clips around your waist...throw a couple disposable heat packs in there and never worry about which gloves are the best; the muff makes any glove adequate.....

I have a pair of the Ice Team gloves (they really aren't very good; but they're somewhat waterproof) that I use when I'm dragging stuff out but once everything is set up I just wear a thin pair of liners and keep going to the muff when I need warmth....
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:36 PM »
I see that Ice Armour  (Clam Corp) has a new improved pair of gloves and mitts for this year. It seems to be following the X2 line. I am not sure how good they are  ???   ,but maybe they are better.  I own a pair of ice armour gloves, they work fine for about the first hour of handling fish. After that my hands get wet and cold. Not worth the money I paid.   :P

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 PM »
I like chopper mits, you can throw 'em off in a hurry, and slip 'em back when the fish is landed. For jigging (and work) I cut the fingers out of a pair of insulated leather gloves. My hands keep plenty warm, and I can still use my fingers. If it gets to cold for that you can find me in my portable with the heat on. 8)

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #23 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Deerskin choppers with wool mit liners inside...easy on easy off.....I also have a muff with handwarmers....so when the chopppers are off and im doing something, and i need a quick warmer-upper, its easy peasy.  Those choppers have to be 30 years old and are still in great shape.  Its going to be 80 here today, but I still might go slip them on.....just to get in the mood......

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2007, 07:59 AM »
i've taken to bringing a couple of hand towels with me, 2 or 3 pairs of light gloves, and a pair of big goofy mittens.
it's essential to dry your hands with the towel befor you put on your gloves or mittens. as your first pair gets damp. use the others.
i've experimented with putting bag balm on my hands as awaterproofer, it works, and helps with chapping, but is kind of messy.
dryness is the key
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #25 on: Sep 20, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I had a pair of Seal Skins(brand) gloves for Mt. Biking that I dug out they are wind/water proof and thin.  The have a neoprene inner layer to keep the warm in and the wet out.

I too bring multiple sets of gloves, my big gauntlets for hauling the sled and gear out on the ice, boring holes and then change to the thinner gloves while fishing.  Hand warmers in the palms of the gloves are great also...

Good luck man!

&

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 20, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Another option is HT Polar Mitts.  They have a rubberized surface on the outside which is water/wind proof and on the inside is a removeable wool/felt liner.  I like them because underneath these i will wear a pair of the fingerless gloves with the flap which can fold over the fingers.  You can slide the polar mitts off very easy when running after tip ups or when you are inside your icehouse jigging.  They work great when cleaning out skim ice in your hole, drilling holes, or when moving to/from your spots.

Do a search for them on here and some other guys have chimmed in on them as well.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #27 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:45 PM »
For true waterproofness, you need to look at some neoprene gloves.  Made out of the stuff used in wet suits.  They should be good for dexterity as well.  With some type of liner, wool or polypro come to mind, they should be fairly warm. 

To me, warm hands equate with dry hands.

Neoprene gloves make my hands sweat.

Your right on with the staying dry thing. I bring a hand towel along with me to dry the hands off before putting gloves on.
I have 2 pair of gloves I bring.

I am going on my 3rd season with Ht polar gloves with the wool liners. They are great for keeping warm and dry while setting up. The biggest down fall is fishing temps below 20 degrees with them and sticking one in the water, because of their rough texture they pretty much get rigamortus. Best 14 dollars I spent on gloves though.

I have a pair of wool lined mittens I wear with a hot hands packet in each one. Tis the best way to keep the hands warm in my opinion.

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:32 AM »
Using a towel to dry your hands AND dry your gloves after getting them wet helps a great deal in the fight against  the cold.  I also bring a towel and learned that using it for my gloves along with my hands helped them perform better....

Good Fishing!

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2007, 07:22 PM »
  Eskimo mitts work well,rubberized outer, fleece style inner, easy off and on, very warm.  Usually most "WAL-MART" stores have these when they put ot the ice fishing gear.  My first preference is a good pair of ragg wool fingerless gloves that have the flip down mitten style finger pocket attachment.  Velcro tab holds it up and out of the way until you need it..........Dexterity and warmth!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.