Author Topic: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..  (Read 94088 times)

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slammer Tip-Up Kit Review ..
« Reply #120 on: Mar 10, 2011, 08:44 AM »
the slammers look nice. just wish we could use them up here, not supposed to have them within 30 meters of any shoreline

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #121 on: Nov 15, 2011, 02:37 PM »
the slammers look nice. just wish we could use them up here, not supposed to have them within 30 meters of any shoreline
you can, I confirmed with the ministry.  I posted a reply from an mnr guy last year on here somewhere....but they definately ARE legal in canada, the tension of the rod is not considered a "spring" for setting the hook.
Tight lines

Offline koolaidnd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Does anyone know if the Slammer is legal for use in north dakota?

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:40 AM »
Just finished making 2 slammers.  Has anyone ever tried to use a circle hook on a slammer with the rod set at the 45 degree angle?  I like to use circle hooks on my tipups but am afraid the automatic hookset will be to forcefull.  I almost broke a window testing out the system with a one ounce sinker and the 15 degree angle

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I'd think the circle hook would get ripped out too quick
Tight lines

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #125 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Just finished making 2 slammers.  Has anyone ever tried to use a circle hook on a slammer with the rod set at the 45 degree angle?  I like to use circle hooks on my tipups but am afraid the automatic hookset will be to forcefull.  I almost broke a window testing out the system with a one ounce sinker and the 15 degree angle
:roflmao: :roflmao: :clap:   hahahahaha thats funny glad you didnt break the window though.   I wouldnt use a circle hook with a slammer.  :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline ugotmcmahonhere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I can't wait to try these things out!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #127 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:06 AM »
I use circle hooks on my lip rippers (#6 & 8). they work fantastic. Never liked the trigger on the slammer so I made my own.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:59 AM »
can you post a pic of the trigger?
Tight lines

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #129 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:01 PM »
I uhhh,     could.......  Maybe.... Gee, should just patent it first.
 ???    ???    ???    ???   

I was really disappioted when I found out the Slammer was just a eye hook and a split ring.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Bullelk34

« Reply #130 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:16 PM »
DL- I made a few of these last year, I used a piece of ceiling grid wire and bent a trigger. You could use coat hanger wire too. It works like a charm and catches fish, but I don't like lugging them around very much. I'll get a pic of my "primitive" but effective trigger....   

Bullelk34

« Reply #131 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Here's a few pix Dave- I adjust the sensitivity by how much of the trigger rod I put through the eyelet. Never had a broken eye like some people are saying could happen either. It took a bit of tweaking to get the angle figured out, but it isn't rocket science. And by the way, the "jerk-o-matic" is the name my wife came up with for this "contraption"....    :thumbsup:

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 06, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Looks like the setup on that auto fisherman...I'd cut off that last eye and glue on an oversized rod tip
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Nice bend Bull, How many trys got you there?

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:18 PM »
looks like you'd need a pretty good hit to trip that trigger?  You ever catch anything on that?  I experimented with a lot of different triggering methods (always outside of the eyelet, attached to the eyelet foot).  I ended up with a guitar string attached to the base, with a 1" piece sticking up and bent on a 90 degree angle.  I hook the guitar string through the last eyelet's foot and adjust sensitivy by how far I stick the bent string in the rod tip.  It's incredibly sensitive and works great.  I'll try to upload some pics. 

It does wreak havoc with rods though...skip the st. croix and use a medium 30" ugly stick (or longer, even a broken/small long rod).

Tight lines

Bullelk34

« Reply #135 on: Jan 08, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Actually it's a hair-trigger, very easy to trip. I've only used it for perch, and it works very well. As of right now, it has a 100% hook-up percentage.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #136 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:00 PM »
The red glass rods seem to work best, ugly sticks are a bit pricey

Bullelk34

« Reply #137 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Ugly Sticks pricey where you live jimmy? I got mine for $12.00 each (on eBay). I don't really like them too much but my wife likes them alot.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Ugly Sticks pricey where you live jimmy? I got mine for $12.00 each (on eBay). I don't really like them too much but my wife likes them alot.
I usually go to the end of season sales and get the rod, reels already rigged for 8 or 10 bucks each.  Then I can have my way with them.

Bullelk34

« Reply #139 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I usually go to the end of season sales and get the rod, reels already rigged for 8 or 10 bucks each.  Then I can have my way with them.

You're scaring me, Jimmy!    ;D

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:57 PM »
 unless I missed it, where do these kits come from, or if you made one, could you post pics. I also like tip=ups, but a pike on a little rod is a gas

Bullelk34

« Reply #141 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:49 PM »
unless I missed it, where do these kits come from, or if you made one, could you post pics. I also like tip=ups, but a pike on a little rod is a gas

The very first post has a link for the kit, and the thread has plenty of pix if you read the posts.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #142 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:33 AM »
You're scaring me, Jimmy!    ;D

BWwahahahaha.....

Offline huntnfish84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:03 AM »
Got my supplies and built some slammers. Can't wait to try em out on some eyes.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.