Author Topic: lets talk about this rubber band trick...  (Read 23274 times)

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: lets talk about this rubber band trick...
« Reply #60 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I tried it this past weekend also. works great.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the smaller fishe such as perch just bounce around waiting for you to pull them up. LOVE IT.  :thumbsup:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:33 AM »
i tried it for lakers using smelt. hooked every perch that grabbed and got to one flag and saw my band stretching and bouncing. good fish on. only a 21 inch laker so no rubber band snap. hows it working for walleye with octopus hooks guys? im using trebles now but would like to go back to octos

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 06, 2012, 02:33 PM »
So you really need to use circle or octopus hooks with this? 

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2012, 03:23 PM »
So you really need to use circle or octopus hooks with this?
any hook works fine,all the rubberband does is set the hook for you

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:44 AM »
Awesome, thanx!

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:37 PM »
I n.ever use tip ups for trout or perch because they do not hold onto the bait very long. Thanks to this trick I'm gonna start using them. Can't wait to try it out

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:40 AM »
So, I've been thinking about this trick for a while, and finally picked up some rubber bands (size 16, supposedly 5 lb breaking strength).  They're relatively small 2.5 inches long, figured they'd work great.  The problem I have is when I put them around the spool and then try to trip the set up myself, the rubber band itself doesn't seem to be doing the stretching, it seems that the tip up line is cutting into the knot and seems like i have to apply a lot of pressure to get the band to break.  Am I tying something wrong?  I typically just take the rubber band next to the line, and pull one end through the other end of the rubber band so it attaches onto the line.  Obviously I'm having issues and any help would be appreciated!

Edit:  Now that I'm trying to visualize, maybe my rubber band is too long, I'll try to find some shorter ones that are already stretching around the spool.  These were the smallest ones at Office Max, so I'll look for maybe something around size 10 (same width, breaking strength, just half the length). 

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2012, 09:57 AM »
What i ran into were band not breaking at all. I would like to find one that breaks on 20" plus

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Upon closer inspection and thought, I think if my rubber band is tighter, like half the length, it'd work better.  When I fold the band in half and then hitch it on, now the rubber band is seeming to provide some stretch and "bounce" but it's still the line cutting through the knot that causes it to break.  But now the line has to cut through a double rubber band, so it's probably still comparable strength.  I think with a smaller band, it's going to work.  I'm investing about $15 into 2 of the smallest sizes I can find (size 10 = 1.25" length, size 8 = .75" length).  I think it'll work.  If not, then I've wasted $15 into worse things, but whatever.  Won't come in the mail until Thursday or Friday, so I'll try it out then.  If it doesn't work... well then whatever. 

Offline brl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:59 AM »
What i ran into were band not breaking at all. I would like to find one that breaks on 20" plus

I have nail clippers I bring with me. Snip about halfway through the rubber band. Works like a charm!

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:22 AM »
ahhhh that will work great! i keep a pair hanging off my jacket for clipping line so that will work.

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:27 PM »
This is what makes this site amazing,

I fish alot of walleye and have had around 15 flags so far this year, with only one catch. They would take the bait 5 feet then drop it before I would make it to the flag. This could really make a differnce.

Side Note: how to hitch the rubber bank to the line. Do you just fold it over the line, and inster one end through the others?
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:40 PM »

Side Note: how to hitch the rubber bank to the line. Do you just fold it over the line, and inster one end through the others?
Yes, then put  the rubber band around the reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.