New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1031918 times)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #5760 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:33 AM »
I may be wrong but i believe the regs say a 10" hole is the biggest you can have in ny.

Not true. You can cut big holes but you are suppose to mark them afterwards to warn others.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5761 on: Feb 02, 2021, 11:40 AM »
i really think there are people trying to get  others hurt...if the holes were legit they would be marked i sure as hell will be using my spud
Places where spearing and sight angling are common you come across a lot of them, especially early ice when it is easier to buzz a hole that big. Never have stepped in one, but came close a few times. Ran my truck into a snow covered spear block and bent a tie rod one time, too.

You're supposed to push the blocks under the ice, but once in a while guys will pop them out on top, and they can become a serious travel hazard if they freeze down and are covered by snow.

My guess is someone was just too lazy to mark them after they finished fishing, rather than malice.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5762 on: Feb 02, 2021, 02:53 PM »
just got off lake a foot or more of snow or more and still falling areas already getting slushy not good

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5763 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:32 PM »
Anybody seen this? A big square hole drilled off LP.

Looks like equipment recovery but don’t they normally use a chainsaw and flag it off when they are done? What else could it be?

The person/people who did that should be held accountable if someone gets killed!!! Absolutely ignorant!!! Did that pic get sent to the DEC by chance??? It should!!!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5764 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Anybody seen this? A big square hole drilled off LP.

Looks like equipment recovery but don’t they normally use a chainsaw and flag it off when they are done? What else could it be?
When I was young I fell through a hole walking on the ice that looked strikingly similar to this in Minnesota. A spear shack had just been moved and it was snowing lightly. Never even had a chance, threw my arms out and luckily my dad was walking only steps away.
I don’t like the looks of it!

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5765 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:42 PM »
I sent the pic to an Officer who patrols that area. Hopefully, they will barricade that spot. If anymore of these holes pop up guys,  Please post the cords with a pic and call the DEC to get it handled. I’m sure the best they can do is put up barricades. Better than nothing, I guess.

Offline BRUCEHOOKEDUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5766 on: Feb 02, 2021, 04:44 PM »
yep definitely not a good thing , legal or not!!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5767 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:00 PM »
Places where spearing and sight angling are common you come across a lot of them, especially early ice when it is easier to buzz a hole that big. Never have stepped in one, but came close a few times. Ran my truck into a snow covered spear block and bent a tie rod one time, too.

You're supposed to push the blocks under the ice, but once in a while guys will pop them out on top, and they can become a serious travel hazard if they freeze down and are covered by snow.

My guess is someone was just too lazy to mark them after they finished fishing, rather than malice.

in new york  you can't spear threw the ice

Offline fellinonce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5768 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Could they be dipping for smelt? I don’t know if Oneida has a population of them or not?
Tap, Tap,.. Cross his eyes!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5769 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:07 PM »
no they cant 

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5770 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:09 PM »
Could they be dipping for smelt? I don’t know if Oneida has a population of them or not?

No smelts in Oneida... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5771 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Does it really matter what the intention was for drilling a massive hole like that out there? It doesn't freaking matter why they did it. Now it's under a foot of snow. I don't understand why people are going back and forth about it being a spearing hole. First it doesn't matter, second no one is spearing fish in 25 feet of murky water, on Oneida lake. It was done to be a stupid mouth breather and that's it. No reason to que the dateline music.

Offline Bug-Eye-Brew

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release into the Grease
« Reply #5772 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:17 PM »
just got off lake a foot or more of snow or more and still falling areas already getting slushy not good
That really sucks, getting a later start then most years and now this
Age is an issue of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter ... Mark Twain

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5773 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:27 PM »
Does it really matter what the intention was for drilling a massive hole like that out there? It doesn't freaking matter why they did it. Now it's under a foot of snow. I don't understand why people are going back and forth about it being a spearing hole. First it doesn't matter, second no one is spearing fish in 25 feet of murky water, on Oneida lake. It was done to be a stupid mouth breather and that's it. No reason to que the dateline music.

well 1st   why are  you upset if people  ask  questions and  voice  opinions? does  it hurt anyone?doesn't it  get people talking about it and the word  gets out there that  there is  big holes  covered  by snow  right now?  i think it's  good.... second  knowing  why people  did  something helps  to know  where they may have punched other holes ......also knowing  why they  didn't mark  the  holes  and  if they they wanted  someone to fall in ...... another thing   LP maybe  just maybe the  person or  people   responsible reads this  we  can  educate them  to  not  do  it again before  someone  gets  hurt or  drowned.....that is  why it's getting talked  about 

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5774 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:30 PM »
well 1st   why are  you upset if people  ask  questions and  voice  opinions? does  it hurt anyone?doesn't it  get people talking about it and the word  gets out there that  there is  big holes  covered  by snow  right now?  i think it's  good.... second  knowing  why people  did  something helps  to know  where they may have punched other holes ......also knowing  why they  didn't mark  the  holes  and  if they they wanted  someone to fall in ...... another thing   LP maybe  just maybe the  person or  people   responsible reads this  we  can  educate them  to  not  do  it again before  someone  gets  hurt or  drowned.....that is  why it's getting talked  about
Hey yapper didn't say it shouldn't be talked about and the reason is a stupid person exists somewhere on Lewis point. I'm sure the stupid person who did this is beyond being educated but you always seem to have the answers so maybe you can try.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5775 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:31 PM »
In my 30+ years in that lake... I’ve never seen such a thing done intentionally. Only gas holes I’ve seen that big. The officer I contacted replied that he will be alerting his colleagues in district 6 and 7 ASAP!!

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5776 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:35 PM »
In my 30+ years in that lake... I’ve never seen such a thing done intentionally. Only gas holes I’ve seen that big. The officer I contacted replied that he will be alerting his colleagues in district 6 and 7 ASAP!!
Your a good man. Of course no one has ever seen such stupidity in real life but it's out there. The snow on top is a real issue now unfortunately. Hopefully it froze good the night the picture was taken.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5777 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:37 PM »
seen it at big bay 2 years ago i know other people have run into them i'm tossing some muskrat trapping stakes in the  sled and i'll make any i see.....i'll post in here any location i see one ...... i personally would like to know the intent of this  person....theyput some work in cutting that ....  were they simply  stupid as LP pointed out ,or are they fishing for fisherman or atv's

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5778 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Sounds like lp steve is probably the one doing it 😂😂😂

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5779 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:44 PM »
green no  he's just upset  someone  could get killed

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5780 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:45 PM »
 Guys have been known to net through the ice
 Ps the ice maker just came to a halt
 Pray for rain on Friday

Offline LP Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5781 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:51 PM »
Sounds like lp steve is probably the one doing it 😂😂😂
Lol I don't even drill that many holes in an entire season of ice fishing.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5782 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:54 PM »
someone hooked a sturgeon threw theis and had to open the hole

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5783 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:06 PM »
True sportsman...actions speak louder than words and you may have saved someone from getting wet or worse. Not everyone is on this site or social media. I’d hate to hear of someone going in when it could have easily been prevented. Well done.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5784 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Thanks KP!

I do think the way we are going to figure this out is by talking about it to other people. So I think all discussion is good on this one!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5785 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:14 PM »
this makes me think ....we all know where a person took the time  energy and money to make a fishing access dangerous to the point someone could easily be killed  b in front of tat access is where i seen a large hole last year.....we really don't know

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #5786 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:22 PM »
someone hooked a sturgeon threw theis and had to open the hole
I need evidence it was released. Lol
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5787 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:22 PM »

Decided to make a go of it on foot today. Made it halfway out to grassy and was rewarded with a nice eye. Ice conditions varied as I started out on 8 to 9 inches and ended up on 5 inches of good ice when I just couldn’t drag the shanty anymore. The bite was steady until mid day and then seemed to slow down. I left at 3:00 so am not sure how the evening bite was. Good luck all and tight lines!

Offline moosefeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5788 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:31 PM »
Because it's under a foot of snow and not frozen which makes it very handy for a person or wheeler to end up in! That's why its a big deal.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5789 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:48 PM »
Nice eye dsportman!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.