Author Topic: YouTuber from IL goes through the ice.  (Read 750 times)

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
YouTuber from IL goes through the ice.
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:55 AM »
618 Fishing goes through some late season ice.  He mentions he knew the ice was getting sketchy, but pushed it past the limit.  If you're cynical, then this could be about getting views.  It has some good shots of when ice goes bad and breaks out from under you.  I don't think he planned to go through.

Offline KRASHED

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: YouTuber from IL goes through the ice.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:53 AM »
You can hear the wind get knocked out of him.

Cold water is no joke. If you haven't experienced it you really will have a hard time grasping how immediately it handicaps your body regardless of your swimming ability or tolerance to cold.

I haven't gone through ice but I did flip a canoe into a fast moving stream just after ice out. The low current portions were still frozen. Life jackets and float suits are a must if you're gonna be out on the hardwater.

No fish is worth your life and a pond can kill you just as easily as a big Lake.

Since my experience I always wear a life jacket or float suit and I carry a small dry bag with a change of clothing and fire starter.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: YouTuber from IL goes through the ice.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:20 AM »
When you see the "chunks" of ice floating after he got out, it gives you a better understanding of when someone says "rotted ice"
The ice can look good, be quite thick, and yet be as dangerous as a skim coat in November.

When ice forms, it generally forms in horizontal layers, but when it "rots" it breaks down vertically. Think of which direction air bubbles will head?

My theory is simple: "When the ice turns grey it's time to stay away!"
I fish late season ice that was a day or two from doing the same thing (years ago). I had to plank out to the more "solid" ice, and was fishing on 7-8" of what was probably frozen slush at some point. I could scuff my feet through 3 inches with little effort. I was fortunate that nothing bad happened, but at that point I considered the season over for me. I refuse, to this day, to push the boundaries of safety just to catch a fish.

I'm glad you got out safely and with minimal loss of gear.

Did you try to retrieve it later that year?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.