Author Topic: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks  (Read 9279 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks
« on: Dec 24, 2023, 09:01 AM »
Some Menards have put these new tanks out on the shelf for sale so I picked one up to try.  I assumed my Flame King valve was going to work on these fuel kegs, but I was wrong.
You will need the Mr Heater valve to fill the Mr Heater tanks.
Valve $29.99
Tank $17.99

First video with an overview of the tank and comparison to Flame King and then a follow up using the correct valve.

i=XUVxoSfzld74FupQ

i=GQPXXUab8gXYLQ8P

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2023, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the video!

Ive been looking at picking up some of the refillables, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I don't go through a ton of cans, don't use the heater much, but it's definitely more cost effective in the long run. Plus better for the environment, as you point out. Also, technically the disposables are supposed to be taken to hazardous waste facilities, which is pretty inconvenient for most people. So as I deplete my stock of the coleman ones, I'll probably pick up some refillables.

I presume the Mr Heater kegs are compatible with all products that take 1lb tanks(camp stoves, lanterns, torches, etc) , and not just Mr Heater products? It doesn't technically say on any of the product information anywhere
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2023, 02:18 PM »
Best to be sure, Mr Heater has a habit of making their stuff compatible only with their stuff.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2023, 02:22 PM »
That's still where I would predominantly use it, so it's still worth having a few to me. That said I have some camping gear that I'd like to put to use that would be nice if they were universally compatible. Proprietary stuff is a pain, and I try to avoid it when at all possible

Offline sylvain guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2023, 03:41 PM »
Here is what confuses me about this. I have been using Flame King bottles for years on Mr. Heater and Coleman products, so the threads must match. So why would the threads for the keg not match? Also all the one time use 1lbers all match. By the way Menards has discontinued the Flame King 1lbers.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2023, 04:15 PM »
I am pretty invested in the Flame  King line up ..valve/stand and 5 canisters ... but the Fuel Kegs do intrigue me ...if I could use my FK refill adapter I could be tempted to purchase a canister or two . I would imagine that Flame King will be updating their canisters to follow suit with Mr Heater.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2023, 04:26 PM »
That's still where I would predominantly use it, so it's still worth having a few to me. That said I have some camping gear that I'd like to put to use that would be nice if they were universally compatible. Proprietary stuff is a pain, and I try to avoid it when at all possible :thumbsup:

Apple products. Any of 'em.  >:D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2023, 05:19 PM »
Looks too easy to open the valve. I have the kind of luck where I'd end up with propane spewing all over the place in my sled.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2023, 06:41 PM »
Looks too easy to open the valve. I have the kind of luck where I'd end up with propane spewing all over the place in my sled.

I may be mistaken, but I would presume that valve only dumps the tank if the primary pressure valve is depressed (ie, when connected)?

The ease at which I could accidentally break that off is a little concerning though. But then again, I can accidentally break anything

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2023, 09:36 PM »
Anywhere to buy this that isn't Menards?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2023, 06:27 AM »

I’m set with my FK , but it’s nice to have options , nothing wrong with some competition

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2023, 09:05 AM »
The purposely designed incompatibility with Flame King sucks, but I'm sure someone will come up with a work-around. The little spring plunger that blocks the purge valve doesn't necessarily have a function other than to force people to buy their adapter?  Or a pin the right size that would depress that plunger as the FK fitting is tightened? Not saying that I recommend doing any of the above, but you know someone will!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2023, 09:31 AM »
Very probable flame king has a patent on their adapter and rank, forcing a different design.

Of course it doesn't look like too sophisticated a design, I've seen people on ice shanty build far more complex stuff themselves in their garage. Just don't know if you could build/modify an adapter yourself as cheaply as a larger company can mass produce one

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2023, 10:41 AM »
DTro...some questions will the Mr Heater Refill valve work on the Flame King canisters ...and have you tried the Mr Heater stand ..is it functional . Thinking about how you have to depress the valve via the Mr Heater refill valve seems to be a safety feature ...no accidental discharges of propane should the release pin gets broken/dislodged ...which is a possibility as it kinda hangs out there and that split ring style pull tab is just waiting to ge hung up on something .

RickWakeman  My understanding is after January they will be in the usual retail outlets every where.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2023, 12:09 PM »
DTro...some questions will the Mr Heater Refill valve work on the Flame King canisters ...and have you tried the Mr Heater stand ..is it functional . Thinking about how you have to depress the valve via the Mr Heater refill valve seems to be a safety feature ...no accidental discharges of propane should the release pin gets broken/dislodged ...which is a possibility as it kinda hangs out there and that split ring style pull tab is just waiting to ge hung up on something .

RickWakeman  My understanding is after January they will be in the usual retail outlets every where.

Good to know, thanks. I'm not anti Menards or anything, just don't have one nearby.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2023, 02:27 PM »
Here is what confuses me about this. I have been using Flame King bottles for years on Mr. Heater and Coleman products, so the threads must match. So why would the threads for the keg not match? Also all the one time use 1lbers all match. By the way Menards has discontinued the Flame King 1lbers.

The threads match fine.  If you watch the second video I explain exactly why they aren't compatible with valve system.   They both will however work will all propane burning devices (those threads are pretty much universal)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2023, 02:53 PM »
The threads match fine.  If you watch the second video I explain exactly why they aren't compatible with valve system.   They both will however work will all propane burning devices (those threads are pretty much universal)

Thanks ...is the Mr Heater stand functional in any way ? It looks kinda cheesy .

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2023, 10:53 AM »
The Mr. Heater management no doubt thinks that they are geniuses for making these tanks compatible ONLY with their refill valve to sell more refill kits, but doing so cuts both ways. I would have bought some of their tanks locally if they were compatible with other fill valves, but ordered a couple more Flame King tanks today instead.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2023, 11:35 AM »
My thoughts are, if you are using FK tanks, keep using them. If looking to start refilling tanks, you now have a choice. Eventually it may come down to which is easiest to find in your area . Here Runnings has FK tanks and refill kits and Menards carries Fuel Kegs. Six months from now that could change.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2023, 12:13 PM »
My thoughts are, if you are using FK tanks, keep using them. If looking to start refilling tanks, you now have a choice. Eventually it may come down to which is easiest to find in your area . Here Runnings has FK tanks and refill kits and Menards carries Fuel Kegs. Six months from now that could change.

I agree ..but that lil allen wrench ...seems to just walk away ...down to one from 5 . .. I more then likely squirreled them in my secret never to be found safe hiding place ...with my duncan yo yo and some silly putty .

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2023, 12:34 PM »

I’m curious if the Mr heater fill nozzle would work on FK as it has a brass nipple that might fit the FK

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2023, 12:39 PM »
I agree ..but that lil allen wrench ...seems to just walk away ...down to one from 5 . .. I more then likely squirreled them in my secret never to be found safe hiding place ...with my duncan yo yo and some silly putty .
I have a very similar safe hiding place. I wish I could remember where it is.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2023, 12:50 PM »
I’m curious if the Mr heater fill nozzle would work on FK as it has a brass nipple that might fit the FK

That metal stem on the MH valve...looks to be quite long ..the notch on the FK canisters if I recall is not deep at all . I have filled the FK canisters with an actual MH valve ...the old style w/o any problem..the new valve looks to present some problems with all canisters ie the green bombs . DTro may be able to clear the air on this though... as he has both .

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2023, 01:04 PM »
 Thanks HWD , maybe he will clear that up , I’ve had no issues with the FK

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2023, 07:09 PM »
Here's another update.  I did a quick comparison burn with 3 tanks.

This was the first time I actually used the Fuel Keg in my heater and I really wasn't happy with how much it leaked while I was screwing it in. 

Offline fisherbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2023, 10:00 AM »

Looks like they have millions of the Coleman units in stores

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2023, 02:06 PM »
I purchased an Allen wrench with a screwdriver type handle.
I keep it in the drawer of my tool box with the other screwdrivers.
One could easily paint the handle or use colored tape making it more visible I suppose.
Anyway the new wrench is easier to keep track of and easier to use.
Just a thought.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2024, 02:02 PM »
I purchased an Allen wrench with a screwdriver type handle.
I keep it in the drawer of my tool box with the other screwdrivers.
One could easily paint the handle or use colored tape making it more visible I suppose.
Anyway the new wrench is easier to keep track of and easier to use.
Just a thought.

Did you buy this on-line by chance?

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:27 AM »

I use one of those little rubber twist gear tie's to keep my allen wrench secured to the adapter.  Works pretty well.  One of these:  https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Original-Reusable-Rubber/dp/B004MMEHKQ/ref=sr_1_7?crid=W2IPIB8G39C8&keywords=gear%2Btie&qid=1704288324&sprefix=gear%2Bti%2Caps%2C275&sr=8-7&th=1

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2024, 07:44 AM »
i tied and taped my allen wrench right to the flame king filler with spiderwire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.