Author Topic: 'Looking to head up to Haliburton on Saturday Dec 14th  (Read 878 times)

Offline endoguy

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm looking to go to Haliburton this weekend to target some Splake and Rainbows.   Anybody up there have any reports on ice condions on some of the smaller lakes???

Offline addictedtwoice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 'Looking to head up to Haliburton on Saturday Dec 14th
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2013, 05:38 AM »
I am also looking for information on the lakes in this area..

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Some of the smaller lakes definitely have ice on them,  just a matter of chipping holes as you go.

Offline endoguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:41 AM »
I spoke to Krista's bait @ Hall's lake Wednesday.  she said the larger lakes such as Hall's still had open water and only the bays had ice.  She said some of the smaller lakes closer to the town of haliburton had frozen over.  With the cold weather this week  they should be doing better.  There has been snow up there which may slow the growth of ice.    I have a few small lakes to check out. ie 500 m across that I'm hoping to be frozen.   I'm taking my son who's 11.  so we woulnt be taking any chances.  We are not looking to be out on 2.5" of ice.  If I find 4"+ of good ice we'll fish, otherwise were are bringing along our snowboards and will head over to Sir Sam's for a day on the slopes.   If anyone has first hand info on how back lakes in Haliburton are doing re ice,  please chime in.

Offline endoguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I got back from Haliburton after fishing this morn.  I was able to check out a small back lake for splake.  spent about 3 hours,  did't mark any fish.  so its back to the maps.  There was 4-5" inches of ice but with a foot of snow on top.  every hole would just flood over the ice with 2" of water making for a sloppy place to fish and unable to erect a pop tent.    I stayed near shore  <100 yards in anywhere from 15-35 fow.  the snow made travelling a pain.   I'll prob go back when there is more ice and I can take my ATV.   At least the scenery was nice.

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about soft ice.   I guess the snow we just got is working against us ice fishermen.  Happened similar to us there last year.  Soft ice
Sportsman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.