Author Topic: Power Auger Question  (Read 1498 times)

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
Power Auger Question
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Just fired up my Strikemaster Auger today in the garage. It started pretty good and idled good as well. I wound it up and it seems to be running great. Put some premium gas and new oil in her, should be ready to go for tomorrow. The one thing I noticed and am not sure about is when it is just idling the blade still turns slowly. If I remember correctly it should not turn during idle. As it seems to be running ok I don't want to mess with it unless someone can tell me something specific to do or weather or not it is ok and leave it be.

If all goes well will be testing out the blades tomorrow for the first time this year. ;D :tipup:
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Power Auger Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:55 PM »
nice!  good luck out there jigs...enjoy the new auger.

I don't know about the idle spin, what's the manual say on that?    ???
Tight lines

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:28 PM »
If it has sat for a while the clutch weights might have rusted a bit. After you use it for a bunch of holes it may free up.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 09:20 PM »
nice!  good luck out there jigs...enjoy the new auger.

I don't know about the idle spin, what's the manual say on that?    ???

The Auger is going on it's 3rd year, I just don't remember if it should spin on idle. I haven't checked the manual.

Last year new hut, this year new fish finder and otter sled.

Now all I need is the fish to cooperate.

Offline PoCo Loco

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm willin' to do the drillin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Hey guys,
I bought an Eskimo last year and it has always spun very slowly when idling. When it is resting on the ice / garage floor it doesn't (ie: has some resistence), so I believe this is normal.

Only really seen/used a handful of power augers, but I seem to recall that all of them did this.

Hope this helps.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Used it today and it started, idled and cut like a dream. Yes it does spin slow on idle but that doesn't really bother me. I just couldn't remember it doing it before or if it is usual. Still not sure if it is supposed to do it but not going to touch it as it is working perfect. If it aint broke...

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:16 PM »
the engine idle is probably set just a little high. small adjustment on carb to turn idle down slightly should stop it from turning. if not idling to high i would agree with the stickig clutch.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:27 AM »
i have the rapala pretty much the same thing and it says if the auger spins on idel check clutch or the tranny on it thats what mine says anyway hop it helps

Offline Valley Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:23 AM »
It should not spin at idle.....check your idle screw adjustment and turn down until it stops turning....could also be clutch weights as mentioned above.

Iceman

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2012, 09:31 AM »
before you touch any adjustment screws,,try reg gas,,you said you filled it with prem,,that makes it burn hotter,,try reg,,

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I haven't tried to adjust it as of yet because it is starting and running great. If it ever gets cold and I can get out on the ice again I will try to tweek it. I have only been out once this year so far.

As far as premium versus regular gas I have been told to use premium in all my small engines for better, more reliable performance. It's full of gas and my gerry can will last me all year so I will only change the type of gas if the idle doesn't work for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.