Author Topic: Kawartha lakes  (Read 2150 times)

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
Kawartha lakes
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Hello all. New to this site. Lot's of great info here and it seems nice guys too. I took up ice fishing last winter and had a blast! My son and I hit up the local spots (Simcoe, Scugog, Frenchmens bay). We now have all the gear required including a portable hut. I'm looking for a spot to drive to for early season action in the Kawarthas. We will be walking so I'm looking for road access. I realize most guys don't want to give up there secret trout holes. That's ok. Just wondering if there's some lakes that are popular and gets lot's of use from other fishermen.  I was thinking maybe long lake when the season opens. Anyone have any luck there? How about splake lakes?   thanks all. cff

Offline middlewick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Kawartha lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Someone posted these stocking lists
 on the OOD site.  You can study these and decide for yourself which ones you would like to try.
Looncall lake is calling me, and its close by and easily accessible.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~sparkysfishin...02007-2010.pdf

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Thanks Middlewick. That lake is on my list of "to get to" lakes. I frequent the ood site as well. I rented a cottage on anstruther last summer. Beautiful lake. unfortunatelty no ice fishing.  Is looncall easily accessed?

Offline middlewick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Apparently i can't get the hyperlink to work properly, so you may have to access it directly from the OOD site.
Looncall is right beside the road on the way into Anstruther. I haven't been there in years , but I think there is a parking lot just off the main road.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I had heard that you could park on the road but if there's a parking area possible a boat launch/government dock then I guess it's time to hit up the maps. The person I rented the cottage on anstruther said you could see looncall from the road but I don't remember it. You're the second to tell me it is, so ... Maybe a roadtrip is in order. Thanks again.. cf 

Offline middlewick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Try google earth, works great for finding these lakes, you can use the gps coordinates that come with the stocking charts.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I fish Jack lake alot, it is a good fishery and an easy walk out. there is parking and if you follow the huts you will find fish it is Very close to Looncall lake

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Thanks icejunky. I've thought about that lake as well. Been years since I've been there. My brothers in-laws live not far from there...They live on a back lake near wollaston. I might have to pay them a visit!  Since it's early ice I'm thinking of sticking close to shore.. untill the huts appear that is.  Thanks for the tip on the coordinates on google maps middlewick. I've tried to use it before but I had no luck. I might need to try again. cf

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Since it's early ice I'm thinking of sticking close to shore

I have not been up to check on the ice conditions, but I usually get down there early Jan, and guys a drving ATV's and permanents everywhere. The crappies are usually in 40ft of water, or on the edge of the 40ft mark, so you will need to so some walking

Offline middlewick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:33 AM »
I just noticed that the new stock charts don't have the lat and long #s on them like the older 1s do.

I have also fished Jack's, never had any real luck there myself, will have to look for that 40 ft mark. Thanks for the tip.
Have you noticed that if you look at these Lakes with google earth, that you can see the contour of the bottom of the lake. Either google earth is getting better and stronger or it's an optical illusion. I have used this to find humps and dropoffs, and seems to be the real thing.

Offline WAM1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:50 AM »
I see people using Google earth. Note that Google maps is the same but you can also try Bing. I have noticed sometimes when the images in Google are bad Bing can have very good ones and vice versa always check both

Offline rdubs89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010, 12:33 AM »
went up to visit friends that live on pidgeon lake this weekend, ice was not safe off their dock there was 6 inches of ice but walk out 50 towards the lake gets slushy and feels really unstable, some people out on sleds really risky as one went through the ice a few days ago, so if your thinking about fishing pidgeon be extremely cautious but in my opinion should wait another 2 weeks, maybe 1 if theres a cold snap, but just a heads up for anyone in that area just take something out with you like a shovel to clear the snow and test the ice ahead of you when walking out if your really itching to get out.
its the time of year to grow a beard and go ice fishin'

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:49 AM »
Here is that link: http://home.cogeco.ca/~sparkysfishin/Stock%20Lists/

There are some more up to date lists on the net for those areas as well.  Just don't have the links handy at the moment.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.