Author Topic: NFS bobhouse  (Read 2096 times)

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
NFS bobhouse
« on: Aug 28, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Hi all,
Just purchased my 1st hardside used 2 yr old bob house.
Couple of questions
Best way to fasten down? Plan on using racket straps good idea?
When drilling holes for jigging inside any issues with water coming up the holes and flooding the area under house?
Thanks in advance

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: NFS bobhouse
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I used my 6” Ion auger to drill 4 holes, one at each corner (not too close so you have some room) about 2-3 feet from corners. Use some scrap 2x4s with a half inch hole drilled in the middle and fix a strong rope in the hole. Make a bowline knot in the rope so you have a loop to hook your ratchet strap to.
The rope should belong enough to reach through the ice when you push the 2x4 down into the hole and position it across the bottom of the hole like a brace.
Do this off of each corner then ratchet the house down. Make sure you put the house runners on 2x4 or 4x4 blocks so the runners don’t melt into the ice. A farm jack works great to jack the house up for the blocks. Check your house often as ice conditions change as you may need to add blocks in melting conditions.
As far as the fishing holes under the house…if drilling from inside, you may need an auger extension as the ice thickens (drilling from inside through 3’ of ice)
You may see water pooling under the shack during thaws. This is when you move the house to a new location! Lots of work to maintain a hard side but nothing like the comfort of being out of the elements! Good luck!

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Thanks for the advise mowbizz

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2021, 07:28 PM »
An old thread ..My buddy made me a pair out of conduit to hole down my Clam 6800 a loooong time ago

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15331.0

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2021, 11:43 AM »
Congrats on your new hard side!

For tying down your house, I use a rachet straps on all four corners. of the house.

I use a 4.5" nils auger drill (with my Milwaukee drill) for my tie down holes. The smaller the hole the better cause during warm weather or rain, they will open up. If your tie down sticks come out then you're at the mercy of the wind at that point.

I use 2x4" ripped in half and cut to 18" - 20" long for tie down sticks. Seems excessive but a 4.5" hole will open up. This will give you a chance to save the house from blowing down the lake.

I take that tie down stick, tie some rope (3/8" - 1/2" thick) to the middle of it and push it down the hole. On the other end of the rope, I put a loop. Then rachet strap from the corner of your house down to the loop in the rope. Make tight. This saves a lot of rope too. You only need enough rope to stick out above your hole 8" - 12" or so.

Make sure you jack up your house first before drilling holes for tying down your house.
I use 4"x4" blocks to keep my house off the ice and out of the water if any comes up. If there is a lot of snow on the lake, that creates weight and will have water come up your holes flooding the immediate area. Sometimes you'll need to jack up your house on a couple of 4"x4" blocks. I have my blocks notched so my runners will fit inside so not to slip off during  windy days.

I also jam pack the tie down holes with slush and snow to help it freeze quicker.

Good luck with your new house! Best to make sure you keep a close eye on it during the season and not leave it too long unattended due to changing conditions on the ice.
It's way easier to deal with your house in a proactive manner rather than reactive.

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Jiggin
Thanks for your advise
Much appreciated
Bill

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2021, 07:25 AM »

I have been using a piece of aluminum stock with a hole drilled off center with a caribiner with a length off rope to another caribiner, easy in and out , been using this same rig for over 25 years

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:01 PM »
When can you bring out bobhouse on lake winni of course pending ice conditions?
Do you have to wait until January 1st or can you set up a day or so earlier?
Thanks in advance

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:24 PM »
Not certain but I believe you can bring it out 3 days before the seasons tarts

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2021, 06:39 PM »
I used my 6” Ion auger to drill 4 holes, one at each corner (not too close so you have some room) about 2-3 feet from corners. Use some scrap 2x4s with a half inch hole drilled in the middle and fix a strong rope in the hole. Make a bowline knot in the rope so you have a loop to hook your ratchet strap to.
The rope should belong enough to reach through the ice when you push the 2x4 down into the hole and position it across the bottom of the hole like a brace.
Do this off of each corner then ratchet the house down. Make sure you put the house runners on 2x4 or 4x4 blocks so the runners don’t melt into the ice. A farm jack works great to jack the house up for the blocks. Check your house often as ice conditions change as you may need to add blocks in melting conditions.
As far as the fishing holes under the house…if drilling from inside, you may need an auger extension as the ice thickens (drilling from inside through 3’ of ice)
You may see water pooling under the shack during thaws. This is when you move the house to a new location! Lots of work to maintain a hard side but nothing like the comfort of being out of the elements! Good luck!

All of what mow said but also to add to this make sure to clean up your wood.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2021, 07:42 PM »
All of what mow said but also to add to this make sure to clean up your wood.

Yup! Lots leave them under the ice for the camp owners and ice out boaters to deal with…
Jiggin and his buds would canvass the lake and clean up others’ mess at season’s end.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2021, 11:21 AM »
Yup! Lots leave them under the ice for the camp owners and ice out boaters to deal with…
Jiggin and his buds would canvass the lake and clean up others’ mess at season’s end.

Here's a video from one of our last times cleaning up the lake together with Laker Taker. His birthday was this past Saturday.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2021, 01:25 PM »
Here's a video from one of our last times cleaning up the lake together with Laker Taker. His birthday was this past Saturday.

R.I.P. Laker Taker. 🙁

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Great video and tribute R.I.P   Thanks Jiggin
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Great tribute to your friend, R.I.P. Laker Taker.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:52 PM »
I use the PVC with ratchet straps on my NFS house and it works perfectly... inexpensive.. reliable.. easy to adjust when conditions change and then to retrieve from the ice so they're not left in the water (with the 2nd rope model) 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.