The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Feed the Eagles  (Read 6211 times)

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Feed the Eagles
« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2006, 04:42 PM »
very intersting FK thanks for passing along the info...i see where you are coming from but it might not apply here...this is the text that was under the pic you posted...

The life cycle begins as fertile eggs (2) produced by adult flukes (1) which live in the mouth of the heron (7).
The eggs are shed to open water as the heron feeds. The first stage larvae, called miracidia (3), emerge from the eggs and penetrate a suitable snail host (4). Within the snail, miracidia undergo numerous cycles of asexual reproduction in various developmental phases after which second stage larvae, called cercariae (5), emerge from the snail and swim about in search of a suitable fish host, such as the yellow perch (6). Cercariae penetrate the fish and encyst to assume the third larval stage -- metacercariae (6), also known as grubs. When the infested fish is consumed by the heron, the metacercariae excyst (come out of the cyst) and become adult flukes (1) in the mouth of the heron, thus completing the cycle.

i dont think the birds are feeding in open water when you leave a fish on the ice  :-\ 

Slipbob...i have only seen the dark lines in the fillets of our fish but have always heard of the fish being "wormy" when they come from warm water.couldnt tell you about the perch ...cause no one eats them!!  :D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2006, 05:07 PM »
very intersting FK thanks for passing along the info...i see where you are coming from but it might not apply here...this is the text that was under the pic you posted...

The life cycle begins as fertile eggs (2) produced by adult flukes (1) which live in the mouth of the heron (7).
The eggs are shed to open water as the heron feeds.

i dont think the birds are feeding in open water when you leave a fish on the ice  :-\ 

The eggs go through a cycle in the birds and are shed into the water sometime after they are initually infected with the flukes, But i forgot Eagles swwop down and grab fish with their feet not mouths :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Are you guys in Maine finding white grubs in the yellow perch or small black dots? 

For the past two years I have noticed black dots in the small mouth bass that I have taken from a particular pond. The large mouth fillets are clear though. I remember posts stating that the dots aren't anything to worry about. The fish are okay to eat.  ???  I didn't though.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2006, 09:30 PM »
we have alot of ponds up north here that have trout with black dots. the locals call them speckled brookies.some are covered so bad they look almost solid black. the meat is fine though.

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2006, 08:34 AM »
I'll eat them as long as there's not too many black dots :D  I have my limits, the same with the white grubs in the meat.  They are fine to eat hope

bob.......that explains a lot!!! thanks  ;D

you should change your name to sickbob

Frozen_nutts

« Reply #36 on: Oct 26, 2006, 06:48 PM »
;D  The grubs aren't my problem.  It's the 4 meals a week of mercury laden walleye that's doing it for me :D  What month is it again :wacko:
mercury......uummmmmmm

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2006, 11:51 AM »
I'm just curious, where are you from rob?

im from nh.
 i have lived in greenville me. fishing moosehead, sebec, and local ponds to that area.i have spent time in amherst me fishing mopang and local downeast waters.
i also lived @  t-10 r-11 at a logging camp.
 the best thing about that was not paying the fee to use the north maine woods. 5 lakes within 5 miles of camp. 8 miles from churchill dam. 4 day work week. my longest strech i stayed 5 months in camp only traveling to ashland to cash the check and buy beer and food.
 also lived for some time in watkinglen ny, fishing seneca and local waters.
 i still cant see wasting a pile o perch for only your own good reason.
 just because you dont like them.
  hey i love maine

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:21 PM »
im from nh.
 i have lived in greenville me. fishing moosehead, sebec, and local ponds to that area.i have spent time in amherst me fishing mopang and local downeast waters.
i also lived @  t-10 r-11 at a logging camp.
 the best thing about that was not paying the fee to use the north maine woods. 5 lakes within 5 miles of camp. 8 miles from churchill dam. 4 day work week. my longest strech i stayed 5 months in camp only traveling to ashland to cash the check and buy beer and food.
 also lived for some time in watkinglen ny, fishing seneca and local waters.
 i still cant see wasting a pile o perch for only your own good reason.
 just because you dont like them.
  hey i love maine

Hello Rob, looks like you've spent quite a bit of time in this great state. I take the family up to the Greenville area quite a few times during the summer, and fish Churchill, Spider and Clear Lake every winter. Whole different world up there, and no yellow perch.  ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:52 PM »
yea!!!!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 03, 2006, 03:46 AM »
cliff aint bad either, or allagash,then there is the river. an ole timer up there showed me a spring hole on the river that was a fish nest. you could count on brookie supper if you went there  ;)
 oh and did i mention visiting my sister in ustis. you cant ski in the summer. tim & jim pond , rangely, just down the way. so many others ;D whats not to like in maine country.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2006, 03:37 PM »
such a popular subject and it has died  hmmmm ;D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.