The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Material for making flags  (Read 2021 times)

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Material for making flags
« on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:35 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations for material to replace flags on some traps.

I've got a soft felt that get water logged or covered with blowing snow and can be too heavy for the steel to keep up. I'm also not a big fan of the duck tape flags. Sure they are cheap and easy and light, but I like the feel of something a little more permanent.

Recommendations?
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
Re: Material for making flags
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:09 AM »
Jack traps sells sets of 5 online in different colors for $8. Heard people make their own out of felt from Wal-Mart.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2019, 04:44 AM »
Heritagetraps.com has flags for sale also, Maine company.   The only problem with the felt JT's use is when you are fishing in freezing rain they freeze to your trap and wont trip.  I fish an old set of traps called Superiors and the flag material is more like a thin canvas and do not freeze up like felt.  Not sure where you would find that type of material but highly suggest.

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:28 AM »
I like 3"x4" bright red felt.  As far as rain, freezing rain being an issue, I usually don't ice fish in the rain.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:33 AM »
My buddy got a new set of jacks he got the red they are pretty nice easy to see. I went with the black flags big mistake. Can't see the black against the shoreline greenery. Ripping them off than going with Hunter orange.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2019, 06:42 AM »
The Jack Traps felt flags are quality as are their entire trap, the felt is just not bright enough. I remove the felt and replace with the Heritage flag material, glue with Goop. Heresy I know, but I can see them in low light.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:04 AM »
My buddy got a new set of jacks he got the red they are pretty nice easy to see. I went with the black flags big mistake. Can't see the black against the shoreline greenery. Ripping them off than going with Hunter orange.
The black is nice on snow covered lakes but other than that I agree. I like a red or orange flag with a piece of black tape in the middle.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Duck tape get the color you want ,Does not flap in wind like cloth fabric

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:15 AM »
I’ve got some great stuff! It’s a thin 3/32ish  green rubbery kind of matting. Shows up great even against a wood line. Had it for years. Don’t remember were it came from.  I can send you some.   Got plenty. Waterproof, very tough stuff. Just make sure you leave a wide enough piece connected to the flag mast as it will wear there over the years. I’ll send you enough, if you want, for the life of you or your traps. The first time I put it on, like 9 years ago, i didn’t make the connection wide enough. Still hung on, BUT wider is better.  PM me your address, if you would like some.  The crimped aluminum came from flag repair stuff I got a long time ago. Those flags were crap, like typar or vinyl or the like.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline clam_hammer19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Legendary Jager Sleeve
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:17 AM »
Repurposed blaze orange hats/vests
LEGENDARY JAGER SLEEVE

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:40 AM »
The half black half orange doesn't look to bad.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Nothing works better than duck tape and its quick and easy. traps on the ice looking out camp window can be a visable problem and itsw so easy to increase size and color ,nothing cheaper

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:10 PM »
+1 on the duct tape cheap and easy!

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:13 PM »
The only problem I had with duct tape flags was I found they tended to roll and curl when kept in storage through the year, and I could never get them to lay flat again.  So, instead of a flag I just had this skinny little roll of color that was very difficult to see.  I replaced them with neon green felt flags.
-Matt

Offline MaineMoparMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Get some aluminum foil tape like they use in HVAC and tape a strip in the middle of the old felt flags. This will keep them mostly dry, ridged enough to shape, and even give a reflection if set up right. I have a set of traps like this and really like them.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:25 PM »
two pieces back to back stickey sides together

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Clamfarmer did you make that trap from the wood you found from Noah's Arc?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Clamfarmer did you make that trap from the wood you found from Noah's Arc?

Got them for Christmas when I was 14.... 60.5 now.  ;D  Made of Hickory by someone in PA. Still the best rigs I’ve ever seen. I wondering who I might pass them along too, when the time comes. I posted them a while ago. Lots of people have them. I imagine the Maker is gone. I’d like to make some just like it, but 50% bigger. A lot to these tip-ups though. I looked into it. The new stuff doesn’t compare.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2019, 03:25 AM »
I have used the firefighter turnout gear reflective triple trim in orange / silver or yellow silver is the balls. Low light am and after dark cusk fishing these things are the best. My traps are now tricked out with as much reflective as possible after having a hard time finding my wife’s jack traps on Moosehead after a long night of cusk fishing. I have the trim where I work.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2019, 04:49 AM »
Have the wife go to Joann's fabric shop pick me up a bunch of different one by one squares in different colors and then I cut them out myself very cute very easy

Offline snag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Reflective tape for trailers cut the red part off peel the back fold the sticky to the sticky it's easy to see during the day and it lights up bright with a flashlight at night if you're cusk fishing

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2019, 09:28 AM »
mardens sewing section has all kinds of fabric. thats where i got mine.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Hey Joe that looks like underlayment/pad for laminate flooring.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Hey Joe that looks like underlayment/pad for laminate flooring.

Could be. Don’t remember were I got it. Maybe at the dump where I shop on occasion. Coulda been Goodwill. Makes a great flag!

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Heritagetraps.com has flags for sale also, Maine company.   The only problem with the felt JT's use is when you are fishing in freezing rain they freeze to your trap and wont trip.  I fish an old set of traps called Superiors and the flag material is more like a thin canvas and do not freeze up like felt.  Not sure where you would find that type of material but highly suggest.

I obviously can't speak to your experience but I've fished Jacks for years and never had a flag freeze to my trap where it wouldn't trip in either snow, sleet and/or rain.

If some are concerned about this, a quick fix could be to spray any felt flag with a repellent (Sof Sole, etc) and allow it to thoroughly dry prior to fishing.   This should cause most precipitation to bead.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:46 AM »
caught_the_fever   -------DUCK TAPE its cheaper and  don't need spraying  Lots of colors

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2019, 03:09 PM »
I obviously can't speak to your experience but I've fished Jacks for years and never had a flag freeze to my trap where it wouldn't trip in either snow, sleet and/or rain.

If some are concerned about this, a quick fix could be to spray any felt flag with a repellent (Sof Sole, etc) and allow it to thoroughly dry prior to fishing.   This should cause most precipitation to bead.

My traps aren't very tall, the flags hang a bit low when set, and the felt I put on them prob 8 yrs ago is getting kinda frayed and loose. If we have some snow blowing across the ice, either it sticks to the flags directly, or they get buried under it, and that causes water to seep up from the hole and get them wet. Sometimes they turn into an icy chunk.

I like the traps well enough that I'm not willing to part with them or upgrade to Jack (although I do chase them in my dreams). I enjoy the smaller and lighter weight of these as I'm getting where I'm going on foot.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Duck tape does not soak up with water from rain or snow  and its light and more wind resident. 

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I made custom flags from fabric but the Bruins colors didn’t show up near shore lines. I put orange duct tape over 2/3 of the fabric think that will work.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2019, 11:26 AM »
caught_the_fever   -------DUCK TAPE its cheaper and  don't need spraying  Lots of colors

I hear ya Woodchip!  Behind the wheel, duct tape has to be one of mankind's best inventions.

Perhaps I'll get there if the felt on my traps ever become ruined but it's less time consuming leaving the felt on than to rip it off then replace w/ duct tape.   Just trying to give those who've already made the investment in a nice trap that are experiencing an issue, or looking to prevent one, a tip to prolong the life of them.   For some it may already be too late; but if I help only one person get more for their money than I'm happy.   

My goal, after getting my own enjoyment out them, is to keep my traps in good enough condition to pass down to my little one, should he be interested in pursuing the sport when he gets older.   A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.