The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Garmin Striker 4  (Read 13698 times)

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Garmin Striker 4
« on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:30 AM »
What’s everyone’s opinion of the garmin striker 4, pros cons, look good but I’d like to hear from someone that owns one.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garmin Striker 4
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:46 AM »
 ???  I don't think the  Striker 4 0r 5 is made for ice fishing since the transducer is for open water.
It might  be rigged for ice fishing??
Dick

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:49 AM »
i dont know but iv got one coming for xmas, first flasher.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:20 PM »
i dont know but iv got one coming for xmas, first flasher.

you will probably need a tranducer float as used my Vexilar.
Dick

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Striker 5 has vexilar on it. They sell a ice fishing bag rig

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2017, 07:57 PM »
What’s everyone’s opinion of the garmin striker 4, pros cons, look good but I’d like to hear from someone that owns one.

I don't have one but it can be bought right now for $150 at Dick's... https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/garmin-striker-4-gps-fish-finder-combo-portable-kit-15gmnustrkr4prtblfel/15gmnustrkr4prtblfel

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2017, 08:11 PM »
yup that is what was ordered. i guess you can get a iceducer for it for better effect.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:24 AM »
this will be my third season with my striker 4. I love it. The first year I had it on the ice I redneck rigged the open water ducer to sit upright in the hole and it worked alright. Last year I bought the ice ducer and it was well worth it. The a-scope feature gives you the real time information that a flasher offers while still giving you the historical data of more traditional fish finders... I also use mine open water on my canoe. Very versatile for the price imo.
Cheers,
Keith
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline burkdog24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:31 AM »
I used the Striker 4 for ice fishing. There are some videos on youtube that show you how to rig the open water transducer to work for ice fishing using PVC pipe. Or you can spend 100 bucks and buy the actual ice fishing transducer made for the striker 4. It works but not fancy by any means. I ended up getting a vexlar fl-28

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2017, 06:32 AM »

This thing was fantastic to me caught fish every time they showed up on the screen

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:17 AM »
the lowrance was my 2nd choice.

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Thanks guys, upon consideration I ordered the striker 4 with portable pack, I’m going to try to rig the open water transducer first, probably will end up buying the ice ducer for it. Also for those of you that have one, what species are you targeting, on some lakes I enjoy jigging smelts to pass the time, wondering if anyone has used it on smelts, (will it show schools of smelts.)

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:50 AM »
should fit fine on genz box, got striker 7 on one.  genz boxes are tough plastic, saves a bit of money too if already got battery hanging around.  i dont think the portable pack comes with a dedicated ice fishing transducer either, just a multipurpose one that you "hope" will aim straight down.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:45 AM »
Thanks guys, upon consideration I ordered the striker 4 with portable pack, I’m going to try to rig the open water transducer first, probably will end up buying the ice ducer for it. Also for those of you that have one, what species are you targeting, on some lakes I enjoy jigging smelts to pass the time, wondering if anyone has used it on smelts, (will it show schools of smelts.)

I generally target lakers but I also jig for bait (smelt) on a couple lakes. It will definitely show bait balls. One of the lakes I most frequently jig for smelt the sweet spot is near 55 FOW and you can see the bait move in and out for sure (cross referenced with a hummingbird ice 35 and jigging success).
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Thanks, mine is all set up and ready to go, do you have the ice ducer? Or did you retrofit the one it comes with?[
I generally target lakers but I also jig for bait (smelt) on a couple lakes. It will definitely show bait balls. One of the lakes I most frequently jig for smelt the sweet spot is near 55 FOW and you can see the bait move in and out for sure (cross referenced with a hummingbird ice 35 and jigging success).
quote author=Hottuna5150 link=topic=349010.msg3721102#msg3721102 date=1512492343]
[/quote]

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Thanks, mine is all set up and ready to go, do you have the ice ducer? Or did you retrofit the one it comes with?

I did buy the ice ducer last season definitely helps but two seasons ago I used the ducer it came with rednecked with a piece of conduit and a float. I caught smelt and lakers both years it’s just less finicky with the ice ducer. The a scope feature helps a lot when jigging imo. As I said before I use it all year round and for the price I think you’d be hard pressed to get better versatility.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Who’s, not sure what I did there ^
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Multi tasking, didn’t see that haha thanks for the tips. Have you used the “gps” function to mark anything with it?

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:05 PM »
There is no map overlay so it’s not much use really (could be that maybe I’m just too stupid to figure it out. That’s entirely possible). I already had a bunch of stuff stored on my phone navionics app anyhow so I tend to use that.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:20 PM »
unless your on a new body of water the map feature is more useful open water, and thats where it is mosty missed, but it has the ability for GPS to mark waypoints so if you find a spot thats working, just give it a mark and you can return on a different day, i think u can make notes about the mark as well.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 02:27 PM »
i look forward to mine on xmas, just bought the cover for it. hoping for ice, 50 here today.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:40 PM »
 i got the garmin

this thing has a tons of settings. how should it be best set up for ice fishing?

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:51 PM »
I’m gonna be of no help but would love your thoughts/review once you get it out and all set up.

I keep looking at them but really am on the fence.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:04 AM »
i got the garmin

this thing has a tons of settings. how should it be best set up for ice fishing?

I use the traditional view with the a-scope feature on (freq dependent on depth). The a-scope is basically a real time vertical flasher while the traditional view gives you historical data, your jig cadence when a fish rose, how fast his rise was etc. I use it fishing Togue mostly and for the finicky bite that info has proven remarkably helpful.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2017, 08:59 AM »
I’m gonna be of no help but would love your thoughts/review once you get it out and all set up.

I keep looking at them but really am on the fence.

the hardest part so for was deciding between this and the similar lowrance one. will probably take a season or two for me to totally figure it out. first device of its type for me. took me 10 min to get the accessory cover i bought for it off of it once i put it on. sure looks like a great unit for the money, just wish it had the ice transducer. 

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:22 AM »
What good is it if it doesn't have a transducer ?

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:23 AM »
it comes with an open water transducer that you can mount under a trolling motor.  purchased the striker 4 off of amazon last june for 109. I have it mounted in my kayak during the summer, and it works awesome there. i purchased a new empty blue genz box and put it in there with a sae charging cable and added a led light with on/off switch mounted on the side of the genz box to light up my glow jigs. the only mod i had to do with the transducer is cut the length of the pool noodle down to fit in the top of the box so that the transducer cup could still be used. this weekend was my third trip with it now and i plan on selling or giving my marcum vp-1 to my fishing buddy who's never had the thrill of a flasher except when he's with me. granted i went the expensive route to buy everything for it, but its a system i enjoy having the use of year round.

while i'm at it, does anybody have any suggestions as to which gain they have better luck with? the auto gain, or the auto range settings too for that matter? tight lines!

Offline YoYo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:18 PM »
Hey mt4410, would it be possible for you to post or pm some pics of your setup with the genz box? I have a striker 4cv and might go that same route.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:41 PM »
sorry for the late reply! i've been hitting the ice daily after work and then coming home to hit the pillow before going after it again.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:50 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.