Author Topic: Chinese snowmobiles  (Read 5631 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Chinese snowmobiles
« on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:41 PM »
I have been lamenting the demise of the small light utility machine. I have a '90s 1 cylinder Tundra that I love, but it is so old! It was run by Idaho F&G until it was shot, then my buddy bought a half dozen of them for cat hunting, and what remains is this collection of the surviving parts. If I want something new, it is going to be $10k and weigh 550lb at least and be 12 feet long.
I have considered going to a Snowdog, but then I saw these Chinese snowmobiles for about half the price of a Snowdog.

https://birdysscootersandatvs.com/product/taotao-snowleopard-200cc-snowmobile/

I already know people hate Chinese stuff, but does anyone have first person experience using one of these for fishing?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Chinese snowmobiles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:17 PM »
I have been lamenting the demise of the small light utility machine. I have a '90s 1 cylinder Tundra that I love, but it is so old! It was run by Idaho F&G until it was shot, then my buddy bought a half dozen of them for cat hunting, and what remains is this collection of the surviving parts. If I want something new, it is going to be $10k and weigh 550lb at least and be 12 feet long.
I have considered going to a Snowdog, but then I saw these Chinese snowmobiles for about half the price of a Snowdog.

https://birdysscootersandatvs.com/product/taotao-snowleopard-200cc-snowmobile/

I already know people hate Chinese stuff, but does anyone have first person experience using one of these for fishing?

Can't speak to these. My friend had a side by side he bought that was Chinese made and some weird name. Thing ran great and preformed well....then a part broke. Took it to three or four different shops trying to get it fixed......nobody could get a part or find the part for it. He ended up having a friend rip into it and they jimmy rigged it somehow and got it working.....he sold it shortly after. The price tags are great on some of that stuff, but if a part breaks it can be almost impossible to find parts. I wouldn't worry so much about it running/working has I would be about finding parts for it.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:21 AM »
Yup parts and service are a big issue with these types of products.
A friend has a Chinese SxS and overall he's happy with it.
But his first one crapped out on him and he bought another.
Then the only dealer in AK quit carrying their machines and so went the parts and service.
So a former mechanic of that dealership now fixes them at his home shop.
But that's a 3.5 hour drive one way from my buddies place.
Personally I just wouldn't touch one of these.
Certainly not without seeing one in person first
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:01 AM »
While I'd be wary of repair issues, these little sleds could be a great way to get kids started. If it was for me, and the alternative is a Snowdog, I'm taking the Snowdog.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:09 AM »
For the price of them you could find a good used one.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:11 AM »
The chinese atvs are junk so I imagine the snowmobiles are no different.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Cheap chinese crap should make up for covid...   ::)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:26 AM »
For the price of them you could find a good used one.

They have no made a similar machine for years. 2006-2009 Tundra 300f is the latest I can find, and there are usually none available in the US, and I can't drive to Canada to get one there, even though they are selling for $5000-6000 CAD

I suppose I could take the ferry to Alaska, but the ferry ride alone would be more than this thing.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:43 AM »
seriously, when you go to the website and look under the specifications they can't even spell or use the correct information.  Lack of quality control there makes you wonder about the product.  Why support their junk.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:47 AM »

Here some thoughts that fit the everybody has an opinion category.  From conversations with a couple of people with the China 4-wheelers you get what you pay for and in the end are stuck with something nobody wants, would guess that holds true for China snowmobiles, I would steer clear.

Would you would be happy with a Snowdog after being used to the flexibility of a snowmobile?

For the heck of it I skimmed through the Craigs List for Idaho, you sure don't have a lot of good used snowmobile options out that way do you? If new parts are available, would it be feasible to rebuild whatever might be mechanically in question on your Tundra, put it in new condition? not a great resale investment, but would buy reliability.  For new it looks like the Tundra LT is the closest thing to what you are looking for, not super heavy or long, just under $9000.  Not knowing if your snow conditions warrant it, the Yamaha VK is a good value, its a workhorse, has two speed gearbox and will handle heavy snow conditions well, but with that comes length and weight. 

Keep us updated.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Rapid rickshaws.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:59 AM »
Here some thoughts that fit the everybody has an opinion category.  From conversations with a couple of people with the China 4-wheelers you get what you pay for and in the end are stuck with something nobody wants, would guess that holds true for China snowmobiles, I would steer clear.

Would you would be happy with a Snowdog after being used to the flexibility of a snowmobile?

For the heck of it I skimmed through the Craigs List for Idaho, you sure don't have a lot of good used snowmobile options out that way do you? If new parts are available, would it be feasible to rebuild whatever might be mechanically in question on your Tundra, put it in new condition? not a great resale investment, but would buy reliability.  For new it looks like the Tundra LT is the closest thing to what you are looking for, not super heavy or long, just under $9000.  Not knowing if your snow conditions warrant it, the Yamaha VK is a good value, its a workhorse, has two speed gearbox and will handle heavy snow conditions well, but with that comes length and weight. 

Keep us updated.

I have looked at both the Tundra and the VK- They are indeed the best new options for me. They are, however, full sized, long track machines. I have horsed 500lb machines around when they are stuck, and sadly that time in my life is coming to a close. I do have enough parts to keep the old Tundra running, but it has no reverse, and dragging it backwards off the trailer, hauling on the recall starter are getting to be a lot. If I could get a good condition Tundra when they still made them small with a 1 cylinder engine, electric start, and heated grips, I would be set for life.

I also am interested in a Snowdog, but it is Russian made, and from my brothers experience with a Ural motorcycle, that is not a clear level above a Chinese snowmobile in terms of parts availability or reputation. People seem to like them, so that is a plus. They do have no windshield and no grip heaters, so that is a minus.

The problem is the market is driven by the powder machines out here, and those are really not great for fishing. They are huge, overpowered for what I want, and used ones are abused in general.

I just think that the small, light economical machine that goes 30 MPH is ideal for my use, and the Chinese models checked all the boxes I wanted except for maybe a better windscreen. If I had an idea that I could get 2000 miles out of one, putting 10 miles a day on the ice, I would order one to try.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:38 PM »
The Polaris Indy Evo?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Ran across this intersting article a while back on the Tundra by Marty on that Alaska TV show...

https://www.alaskatrappers.org/stories_thoughts_on_the_tundra_2.html

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2021, 01:00 PM »
The snowdog might be russian in origin but there are dealers here in the USA. That means you can get parts and service in the USA.
Are there any dealers here in the USA for these chinese Snowmobiles?
Another good machine that fits your needs is the Yamaha Bravo. Quite similar to the old Tundras.
I had a1999 Tundra R I bought new and ran until I bought my 08 Tundra 550f.
I traded the old Tundras to my dad for a riding lawn mower a few years back. Still runs but I don't really miss riding it.
It was a great machine for icefishing and short firewood hauling etc but not much else.
My newest sled is a 2011 expedition sport 600ace. I paid $10,000 cash for it new and I'm happy I bought it
My 08 Tundra might be heavier than the 99 but if I was only icefishing i'd have to work hard to get it stuck unless I hit a serious patch of overflow.
Plus it has reverse and heated grips.
The added suspension makes riding so much more comfortable. Especially when you consider how rutted the ATV,/utv crowd makes the lakes around here.
If I were in your shoes i'd go snowdog over Chinese sled all day long and twice on Sunday.
Or find a decent used utility sled with heated grips and reverse.
KasilofChrisN

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:00 PM »
The Polaris Indy Evo?

Looks close, I like the weight. Do they make a high windshield option?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:05 PM »
Could probably have one made if they don't.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:10 PM »
Looks close, I like the weight. Do they make a high windshield option?

I just realized that the Polaris site link was for Canada, the prices were in CAD, below is the US site and pricing.

Three windshield options.  https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/rmk/rmk-evo-144/build/?id=2487c8de-2dd2-4689-be69-1b1e841de519

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Ran across this intersting article a while back on the Tundra by Marty on that Alaska TV show...

https://www.alaskatrappers.org/stories_thoughts_on_the_tundra_2.html

Nice write up, will probably help out some riders.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2021, 09:22 PM »
Can't speak to these. My friend had a side by side he bought that was Chinese made and some weird name. Thing ran great and preformed well....then a part broke. Took it to three or four different shops trying to get it fixed......nobody could get a part or find the part for it. He ended up having a friend rip into it and they jimmy rigged it somehow and got it working.....he sold it shortly after. The price tags are great on some of that stuff, but if a part breaks it can be almost impossible to find parts. I wouldn't worry so much about it running/working has I would be about finding parts for it.
You will wait a while (15-30 days for most orders) but lots of parts for the Hisun are on Ali Express (Chinese company) and some on Amazon.  I have already ordered a spare oil filter, air filter, front and back brakes, and a belt to have on hand, total for all was less than 100.00  If you are going to be fishing you might have to overlook buying from China as probably at least 80% of all fishing products regardless of the name on them are made in China. I have only had my unit (2012) about a month or so, so not much of a test but so far everything seems to be working good.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:58 AM »
I've been searching all over for "kids", "mini", "youth", "50cc", "120cc", snowmobiles.   Nothing.  Nothing on craigslist.  It seems like there must be a large demand on them right now.  Or very little inventory.  Or both. 

It looks like Arctic Cat/Textron might have one: https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/youth/zr-120

Not sure if it is actually available anywhere.  If there's some hidden trove of mini snowmobiles out there, someone please tell us!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:17 PM »
Any one use one of these https://www.iceaugermachines.com/
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:18 PM »
I've been searching all over for "kids", "mini", "youth", "50cc", "120cc", snowmobiles.   Nothing.  Nothing on craigslist.  It seems like there must be a large demand on them right now.  Or very little inventory.  Or both. 

It looks like Arctic Cat/Textron might have one: https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/youth/zr-120

Not sure if it is actually available anywhere.  If there's some hidden trove of mini snowmobiles out there, someone please tell us!

Good luck. Due to the COVID stay-at-home thing, at least here, you can't find bicycles, boats, camping gear, etc.
Snowmobiles are like second cars here; I just looked on C-list, there's two for sale... ::)

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:36 PM »

You'll get what you paid for!!!! Most things are crap that come from there! fact checked
Nothing like breaking down in the middle of no where on a cheap chinese snowmobile !

smitty :tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:17 PM »
not EVERYTHING from China is short lived.. look how long covid has lasted... longer than a lot of their products...sorry couldn't help myself.

Those old tundras were  hard to beat, they lack a lot of the modern niceties, but they were dependable..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Stka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2021, 02:34 PM »
I would personally look for a used snowmobile over a new chinese anything. I'm sure if you take time looking and have cash ready when the right deal shows up, you can get a great used machine in your budget.
Eventually when I upgrade, some lucky icefisher will get to buy my 2011 polaris IQ XLQ. Ten years old and 215 miles so far.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I have owned 4 old snowmobiles, and they are not trouble free either. There are certain problems that come with age, and sitting seems to be as hard on small engines as hours of operation. I am sure that if I could get 215 miles out of a snowmobile before it died, that would last me.
That is not the only thing that interested me about the Chinese sleds. Modern snowmobiles have totally abandoned the market space taken by the '90s and before Tundra/Bravo machines. They are twice as heavy, 5 times as fast, but they don't have the small, light, slow, simple any more. Trappers took Tundras apart and flew them in Cessnas and put them back together in the bush. I would assume now they are trying snow dogs of something to get that same job done.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2021, 08:10 AM »
I have owned 4 old snowmobiles, and they are not trouble free either. There are certain problems that come with age, and sitting seems to be as hard on small engines as hours of operation. I am sure that if I could get 215 miles out of a snowmobile before it died, that would last me.
That is not the only thing that interested me about the Chinese sleds. Modern snowmobiles have totally abandoned the market space taken by the '90s and before Tundra/Bravo machines. They are twice as heavy, 5 times as fast, but they don't have the small, light, slow, simple any more. Trappers took Tundras apart and flew them in Cessnas and put them back together in the bush. I would assume now they are trying snow dogs of something to get that same job done.

If you watch Mountain Men you'll see that Marty gave up on his old Tundras and switched to a new modern Skidoo  Snowmobile(snowmachine here in Alaska).
Had to ride it to the trapline cabin as it didn't fit in his Piper.
I used to think my old 99 Tundra R was all I'd ever need in a machine.
Since getting my newer machines I realize how wrong I was in my thinking.
And how much better and more comfortable of a ride these newer machines really are.
Plus it opened up so many other uses like trail riding with family etc.
And when my machine needs a part they are available locally. Just replaced a rubber hood latch this year that my local dealer had in stock.
KasilofChrisN

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:37 PM »
If you watch Mountain Men you'll see that Marty gave up on his old Tundras and switched to a new modern Skidoo  Snowmobile(snowmachine here in Alaska).
Had to ride it to the trapline cabin as it didn't fit in his Piper.
I used to think my old 99 Tundra R was all I'd ever need in a machine.
Since getting my newer machines I realize how wrong I was in my thinking.
And how much better and more comfortable of a ride these newer machines really are.
Plus it opened up so many other uses like trail riding with family etc.
And when my machine needs a part they are available locally. Just replaced a rubber hood latch this year that my local dealer had in stock.

I have 2 1/2 old Tundras- there were maybe 8 of them that were purchased new by F&G, when they got sick of fixing them, they sold the lot to the outfitter I worked for. He used them for cat hunting for a dozen years and gave me the remainder- 1 running sled, 90% of another, and a pile of shrouds and a pack box full of parts. I am probably set for as long as I want to keep fixing, and my back and shoulders can drag the thing around and start it. Some day I will get a new sled. Every time it breaks I swear I am done fixing, but I think I would miss the old thing.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2021, 06:54 PM »
Since we're talking tundras...my 1998 tundra lt r just quit on me on the way to go fishing.  Buzzing along good until the thing just quit like I hit the kill switch.  Have spark, fuel and very good compression.  Am I looking at trying to find a cdi unit?  Any and all help is appreciated!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.