Author Topic: Floro or Mono??  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Huckster

• IceShanty Rookie
Floro or Mono??
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:37 PM »
After reading the post braid or floro it got me thinking, why so many floro users?  I have not used floro but have always used 4 ft of 8# trilene tied to braid.  What is the advantage to floro??

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Floro or Mono??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:15 PM »
To me it is not so much floro over Mono, it just happens that I love P-line as my walleye leader, to be honest I could not remember that it was floro off the top of my head and had to double check. It is stronge and low memory, great line

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 06:53 AM »
The advantage of fluorocarbon is that it is nearly invisible when you put it in the water.

I use it for Trout and whitefish, mostly due to their incredible eyesight, and the Gin clear water that I fish for them.

When I am fishing in dark or stained water, I don't bother with the Fluorocarbon.
I'll leave it on my tip-ups as long as it is the pound test that I want for the fish I am after.

Some days, it does not matter what you use, other days it has made the difference.   

I keep it around as another option to try, just in case things are slow.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Flourocarbon lines are generally more stiff as well as being heavier density than water.  Those properties can help at times.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I have always used 30lb mono for a liter. Fishing for Pike and Walleye. and done quite well. I just switched to P Line Flouroclear. Only beacause of some very clear lakes I fish. Not that I had a problem before. But also cuz I have been reading  reports that P Line is really strong.  We will see how it goes. I fish a mix of stained and very clear lakes. I have P line on one of my rods and it is some strong stuff. The P line I have is a little less in diamater then the reg mono I used. but it seems just as tough.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:20 PM »
100% mono that is the only thing i ever use.

Offline WalleyeNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I use Crystal 6 lb and tie on Vanish 6 lb.  Works great for Walleye and Perch.  Wonderful feel.  I tie on with the "Modified Albright (Alberto Knot)".  Google web and see an excellent illustration.  Caught 10 lb walleyes and never had the knot or line break.  Only break off I have had is when snagged on a tree and then it broke in the floro line, not at the connection knot.  Probably because this knot is a bend rather than a knot.  Very strong.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:57 PM »
fluorocarbon. just do it :tipup:

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:51 AM »
go flouro!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor