Author Topic: Sad news  (Read 2738 times)

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sad news
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:51 AM »
Indy radio station reports 2 drown in Madison county.
Very sad.

Offline Hog Daddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • old school - the "don't laugh " sled
Re: Sad news
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:00 AM »
Sad indeed.  Was hoping not to hear any more of these stories , as it seems we have had more than normal this year. 

HHD

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:35 AM »
One of them was a Coservation Officer.
Truly sad. Prayers for the familes.

https://www.google.com/amp/fox59.com/2018/02/14/two
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:46 AM »
To sad, Prayers for the families...

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:54 AM »
thoughts and prayers to family and friends

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Far too many of these reports this season. prayers for the families, RIP
bobbers down- flags up

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Very sad news. My heart goes out to the family and friends. I can't imagine the feeling the CO's must have felt when they arrived to see a fellow friend and brother was involved.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:03 PM »
Another tragedy !! Prayers to the familes and friends !! This ice season just needs to be done and over with so there isn't any more of this !

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Sympathies to all of their family and friends.

Offline dualjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "eyes, for to see"!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Thoughts and prayers to the families. God bless them both. Thank you to our Law Enforcement/ First Responders!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Truly sad event.  Hard to believe the CO was not better equipped.  They always put out PSA's about having all safety gear and wearing PFD's or float suits when ice fishing.  Tragic and preventable.  Thoughts to the families of those lost.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:59 PM »
Prayers sent.  Be careful out there guys, the worst is yet to come.  Some folks won't be done walking on it till it's gone.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2018, 02:44 PM »
When I was checked earlier this year the CO was very uncomfortable being on the ice and I discussed the PFD I was wearing with him and he had a floatation jacket on that I believe was issued by the department for the ice season.  Don't know the details but most definitly should have been avoided.  Stay safe out there.

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I don't think any flotation device is going to do anyone any good if your body is wet and you aren't removed from the water in time !

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:32 PM »
I don't think any flotation device is going to do anyone any good if your body is wet and you aren't removed from the water in time !
Just buys you a little time.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:43 PM »
Float suit and ice picks improves your chances of getting out but no fish is worth risking your life. Condolences to the families. Hex

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:10 PM »

Buys you time, may keep your head from going under and inhaling a ton of water from the initial shock and makes your body more buoyant to help you get out with picks or with the help of others.  Your chances of survival are much greater if you are not wasting a ton of energy trying stay above water.  No one can help you if you go under and you have no chance of survival under the water.

Offline walleye wil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:28 PM »
very sad news, prayers to all there family and friends, tough situation to go through!!
prayers to them all!!~!!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Buys you time, may keep your head from going under and inhaling a ton of water from the initial shock and makes your body more buoyant to help you get out with picks or with the help of others.  Your chances of survival are much greater if you are not wasting a ton of energy trying stay above water.  No one can help you if you go under and you have no chance of survival under the water.

Yes I understand that , but I'm referring to time in the water . Flotation well not save you if your into long . But I agree it increases your chances of making it ...

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Yes I understand that , but I'm referring to time in the water . Flotation well not save you if your into long . But I agree it increases your chances of making it ...

Agree....but there are stories of guys being in the water for up to an hour and surviving if they can keep their head out of the water.  TeacherPreccher on here is one and there was a guy that went into summit a few years back and was in the water for over 45 minutes and survived.  If you can get to the edge of the ice and at least hold on to your ice picks and stay calm the human body can do amazing things.  If you have to use all your energy to stay afloat or have to hold your entire body weight and wet clothes up with ice picks with no assistance from a floatation suit you are likely going to lose your grip a lot sooner without a float suit.  Most people that fall in die from drowning vs. hypothermia.  Anything I can do to prevent the drowning part increases your chances of survival.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Someone said there were 3 guys that went through on wawasee today.  Anyone know anything about that?

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Sad to hear about this  prayers to both families

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Teacher/Preacher told me his arms froze to the ice, and that's what kept him from going under.  Believe he passed out too, not something I'd wish on anyone no matter how it turns out.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Arms did not freeze to ice. Air temp was 42 degrees. I had a finger on each hand stuck into a hole in the ice . My legs kept wanting to float up under the ice which forced my body off the edge of the ice. No I never passed out. Was totally exhausted by the time they got me out! Was slurring my words and knew hypothermia was setting in.

No I didn't have Ice Picks!!!!!! Would have been out with little problem if I would have had them !!!!

I had a good snowmobile suit on which kept me afloat for a long time until it became saturated.
When I went in I grabbed water with a sweeping motion and drug my back leg which kept my head from going under the water.
As Wax said, the intitial shock of cold water causes you to gasp for air, which I did a couple of times. But did not inhale any water.
I paddled back to where my bucket was floating and threw it up on the ice. Had rods and fish in it. If I would have tried to crawl out there, in the direction I was walking from, ice probably would have held me. But I went back to edge of ice at the direction I was walking and it kept breaking as I pulled myself up onto ice. I read later on that a person will face the shortest distance to the shore while attempting to crawl out of the water. This is what I did.
I looked at my watch before I began to walk off the ice and it was 10:00am. The call to Fire Dept., came in at 11:27am. So I was in water for an hour and a half. I never felt cold until they pulled me into boat and that is when I began to convulse. Temperature in ambulance was 87 degrees.
From what I've read about Hypothermia, it all depends on the individual as to how one's body reacts. Some 20 minutes, others longer. I was one of the lucky ones.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Someone said there were 3 guys that went through on wawasee today.  Anyone know anything about that?

not confirmed but they said north of boat launch which is the kettle area.  Guys posted over the weekend the ice was bad there and spud was going thru in one hit in spots.  That area does not handle warm spells well due to several factors and has not been good since the previous warm spell.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 AM »
I fished from the access yesterday till noon and ice was decent there. But like Wax said and I mentioned previously the Kettle accessing from the marina is asking for trouble! I saw 2 guys take a side by side 4wheeler out to Lilly's Flats about 10AM. They were still out when I left. Hex

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Well teach I'm sorry I got it wrong, but glad your still with us.  I remember being at school and all my fellow teachers thought that was me that took the swim because we share the same name.  I would not have made it, I wore picks, but back then wore them wrapped around my waist, they would have been of no help.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Thats a small world for sure. Two teachers who shate the same name and are also ice fisherman sry to sory of hi jack the more important part of this thread bit it is quite a coincidence.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.