Author Topic: Fishing all day  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing all day
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:11 PM »
How many of you like to fish from sun-up to sunset or later? 

If not and you like to fish just a half day, what would you rather fish? Morning or Evening?

Offline fwcanoefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing all day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Literally the same as asking if you're a morning or night person. It's all personal preferences. Either way, you wanna get there at the transition time, as the sun is rising or as it's setting.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:26 PM »
A lot of it depends on the lake I'm going to. I live on a body of water that's very clear so the best bite is always first thing in the morning and right at dusk. I seem to fish more in the afternoon just because I can target crappies that begin to feed at dusk and into the night. I do fish some lakes in the area that have a slight stain to them so they seem to produce better during the day. It's a broad question because no 2 lakes fish the same. Best advice I can give is to learn the waters you fish and let the fish tell you what they want.

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:08 PM »
A lot of it depends on the lake I'm going to. I live on a body of water that's very clear so the best bite is always first thing in the morning and right at dusk. I seem to fish more in the afternoon just because I can target crappies that begin to feed at dusk and into the night. I do fish some lakes in the area that have a slight stain to them so they seem to produce better during the day. It's a broad question because no 2 lakes fish the same. Best advice I can give is to learn the waters you fish and let the fish tell you what they want.

Any and all advice truly appreciated. I understand it is a very broad question. Definitely still a rookie here with very limited time to get out. I do understand that asking specific information on any lakes is disrespectful.  I fully intend to learn my own spots and become experienced on my own, which is half the fun, but getting some general knowledge helps.
Having a little one at home pretty much allows me to choose a half day of fishing on my day off. So I come to the experts to help me decide what part of the day is usually more productive.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Yes
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:34 PM »
sun up to sun down/into the night whenever possible.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Whenever my wife let's me..ha
I haven't had any all day trips ice fishing since my kid was born
About time for one
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:08 PM »

Any and all advice truly appreciated. I understand it is a very broad question. Definitely still a rookie here with very limited time to get out. I do understand that asking specific information on any lakes is disrespectful.  I fully intend to learn my own spots and become experienced on my own, which is half the fun, but getting some general knowledge helps.
Having a little one at home pretty much allows me to choose a half day of fishing on my day off. So I come to the experts to help me decide what part of the day is usually more productive.
Best advice I can give you is fish the afternoon/evening bite. When doing so (this is generally speaking for clear water) I try to drill several (as many as I feel might be needed) holes right off the bat. Then give them time to settle (that's usually when I go back to scoop them out). Clear water fish seem to spook easily. I wear my micro spikes on the way out to where I'm going. When I approach, I take them off. Stealth mode is key on many waters I fish!!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I rarely get the chance to fish all day.  I also have young ones and what works for us sometimes is the night bite.  I can fish longer and not bother the family time too bad.  At times i have waited to go out until 8-9 oclock at night. Lack of sleep is the downfall to that. My recomendation for a night bite is typically clear water has potential for night fishing.  Stained water as someone aready mentioned is better for the daytime.  I have even seen heavily pressured fishing holes turn into a great night bite after all the chaos leaves.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:23 PM »
It varies with other responsibilities and time availability.  I used to be a can't see to can't see hunter and fisherman, not any more.
This year it seems that at dusk everything cuts loose.  I got out tonight at 4:30 and had only a few until a few minutes before 6:00,- then all heck broke loose....

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline bburman90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Whenever my wife let's me..ha
I haven't had any all day trips ice fishing since my kid was born
About time for one
Amen all day trips what?! Lol

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2018, 10:49 PM »
  I don't know that it's better mornings, evenings, or in between. I've been on the ice and everyone left by 10:00-11:00 because the fish weren't biting, short time later they were slamming the baits as they dropped down. Seen crappie bite in the morning but not the evening, and the opposite. Fish when you can and hope they are hungry while you are there.

Offline Slab catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2018, 04:37 AM »
I was on the ice for 8 hours yesterday!!! Sure was nice have not done that in awhile.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:13 AM »
i used to fish all day and night when i was younger.  if want and can DO.

as for second question.  morning bite for crappie till about 10am some days. unless by evening you mean night.  id take night under light over the morning bite.

gills, afternoon has been better to me over the years it seems.  a couple lakes/spots are like clock work 3pm or so till dusk.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Lite-Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:43 AM »
All helpful tips and just the direction I'm looking for. Thank you.

Yes
You didn't have to get that detailed ;D ;D.....but I get ya!

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I wish. For instance yesterday I got the kid up and headed to a 7:30am meeting 3 counties away on my day off. Made it to Loomis by 11am. Tried 2 more lakes ending at Robinson around 3:30 and hurried home to get the kid on his homework. Basically fishing the worst part of the day just so I could fish. Oh well at least I had fun

Offline JDH46151

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I wish. For instance yesterday I got the kid up and headed to a 7:30am meeting 3 counties away on my day off. Made it to Loomis by 11am. Tried 2 more lakes ending at Robinson around 3:30 and hurried home to get the kid on his homework. Basically fishing the worst part of the day just so I could fish. Oh well at least I had fun
I fish whenever I can get out there.  I just try to spend more time on the water than the time it takes me to travel there and back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.