Author Topic: Maxi  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Slab catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Maxi
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Thinking of driving north to Maxi this Friday. Never fished there before any suggestions on
where to get on the ice? Thanks for any advice.

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Maxi
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:39 PM »
The access is on the West side of the lake.  You can also park at the beach on the North end. 

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I'll be 100% truthful. I'm amazed you hear "maxi", "maxi", "maxi" so much on the IS. This lake is likely to hand you your a** 8 times out of 10 (which is a general statement). This lake is the Masters Course, and if you don't have a ton of history or side image it each year, you could be really pi**ing in the wind. It does have some big perch and a ton of little one, and decent walleye, but again you absolutely need to have history on this lake. You can find fish 1st ice, but after that, all bets are off. I'd love for somebody to tell me I'm wrong, but without proof, I wouldn't believe my own family if they said they continually have successful trips on this lake.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I'll be 100% truthful. I'm amazed you hear "maxi", "maxi", "maxi" so much on the IS. This lake is likely to hand you your a** 8 times out of 10 (which is a general statement). This lake is the Masters Course, and if you don't have a ton of history or side image it each year, you could be really pi**ing in the wind. It does have some big perch and a ton of little one, and decent walleye, but again you absolutely need to have history on this lake. You can find fish 1st ice, but after that, all bets are off. I'd love for somebody to tell me I'm wrong, but without proof, I wouldn't believe my own family if they said they continually have successful trips on this lake.

I agree with you ! It is the hardest lake iver ever fished !! And I know what is down there because I have seen the perch , smallies , and the wallet with an aquaveiw

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I agree with you ! It is the hardest lake iver ever fished !! And I know what is down there because I have seen the perch , smallies , and the wallet with an aquaveiw
I appreciate your honesty... sometimes I think people talk about this lake so much because they want to send people on a wild goose chase. If you took a kid fishing on this lake, I could really see them losing interest in a hurry, but as much as it gets mentioned anybody would think it's a good place!?!?

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:26 PM »
The lake is intimidating!!
I watched a kid come on the ice after dark and kick open a hole we fished all day. He limited out on walleye while I watched!!
You never know

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Well said High Tide! Very true. Its definitely a tough nut to crack. One day can be better or worse then the other out there. I never take my kids to this lake on ice for more reasons then a tough bite. 

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:28 PM »
I do not fish it very much on the hard water, but do when the software is here. You have to put in a lot of hours on this LAKE before you start having any luck.

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:08 PM »
It’s very tough like forest gump said

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I just got back from Maxi and I had a pretty good time today. Not many there, maybe 10 on the whole lake. I dont feel intimidated by it at all. Big water is usually harder to fish than smaller lakes. If you know much about fishing they arent hard to find but getting them to bite sometimes takes some doing.  Most of the guys I know who fish the lake are very informative and share info. I personally like a challenging lake. What lake you fish is your choice but if you are at Maxi when the bite is on you will know why guys keep going back.

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 10:17 PM »
Its called fishing not catching lol.
What fun would it be to get your limit every time you went out with out a struggle.
Its the challenge and the reward.
What a lake.
Tom

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 06:17 AM »
Dead on balls accurate, its an industry term

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I fished in the summer.  Only got 2 bass over 12 in" outa the 10 times I have fished it.   Definitely a challenge to find and catch the fish.  But I have heard good things many times.   Even seen people pull up good eyes but I never do.   Walleye is definitely on my bucket list to catch one of these years.   I just don't think I'll get one this year lol. 

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I appreciate your honesty... sometimes I think people talk about this lake so much because they want to send people on a wild goose chase. If you took a kid fishing on this lake, I could really see them losing interest in a hurry, but as much as it gets mentioned anybody would think it's a good place!?!?

I agree 100%

Offline Slab catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Thanks for the great info, I like a challenge but since I'm 2 hours away I might try somewhere else.

Offline 4SeasonFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Welp, we are headed there tomorrow morning and it looks like we are have an uphill battle based on all these posts.  Folks around here hit up the Slough quite a bit and usually we do too.  The main reason we are going is to try a new lake.  Can't learn a lake if you don't fish it. 

Wish us luck boys.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Im heading there now to catch the evening bite on walleyes. I got my plow on the ATV and plan on making a road out from the ramp so guys wont have such a hard time pulling sleds in the snow. Good luck to all of you.....

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Lots and lots and lots of structure!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Im heading there now to catch the evening bite on walleyes. I got my plow on the ATV and plan on making a road out from the ramp so guys wont have such a hard time pulling sleds in the snow. Good luck to all of you.....

Hey you’re alright!  :thumbsup: I had to truck it out far yesterday. Even with my smittysled it felt like I was dragging a dead horse. Snow was 3-4 inches with drifts. Ice is 7-8 inches everywhere I went.

Offline 4SeasonFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2018, 12:18 PM »
I got my plow on the ATV and plan on making a road out from the ramp so guys wont have such a hard time pulling sleds in the snow.

Thanks Ace in the Hole!  We appreciate that since we'll be hoofing it out there!

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Does anyone catch perch off the point area? 

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2018, 09:43 PM »

I agree, seems like I've heard it mentioned more this year than any year in recent memory. Maybe its because I've been paying more attention, maybe its because it froze earlier than normal(?), who knows.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Got the roads plowed in from the ramp, I think 4 total. I was surprised at some of the drift sizes, glad I wasnt dragging a sled. Ive had better fishing days but still managed a few bites. Equipment failure cost me one nice fish. Hook point broke off on the set on another, brand new bait. The one I did land was short. You guys who sent me PM, I set up on humps and flats next to deep water. Usually put out two tip ups with shiners and jig a 3 rod. Unless its cloudy the bite is first hour or 2 of daylight and last 2 at dark. There is no secret spot, fish all over that lake. Go to Navionics and use the free boating chart to find the spot or follow the tracks. Any color that looks like a perch will work. Sometimes I tip them and sometimes I dont. Ice was 8-9" most everywhere. I'll probably be back tomorrow god willing.

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:38 PM »
"There is no secret spot"

I disagree. If you target walleyes, there ARE secret spots. They may not Always produce every time, and its no surety. But you up your odds if you know what to look for. And it isnt no secret...
INSIDE TURNS
PINCH POINTS BETWEEN HUMPS
And the one everybody knows, steep dropoffs adjacent to shallow humps and of course weeds... The hotspot map for max Clearly shows them. You can do like everybody does, go to the ramp, get on out a bit, drill for a breakline or certain depth and park it. That Will catch fish. You do the homework during soft water, and MARK the waypoints (secret spots), and you Will do better. Im no pro, i get my arse kicked out there too. I have put in the homework tho. Did I mention Inside turns between humps??? You still gotta catchem...

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I should also mention, you wont find those spots 300 yards off academy, the dnr ramp or the marina. My gps coords are still as good as the day i marked them, IE-- the structure didnt move.

Offline Gartoon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:49 AM »
is the lake atv worthy yet ?

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:34 AM »
"There is no secret spot"

I disagree. If you target walleyes, there ARE secret spots. They may not Always produce every time, and its no surety. But you up your odds if you know what to look for. And it isnt no secret...
INSIDE TURNS
PINCH POINTS BETWEEN HUMPS
And the one everybody knows, steep dropoffs adjacent to shallow humps and of course weeds... The hotspot map for max Clearly shows them. You can do like everybody does, go to the ramp, get on out a bit, drill for a breakline or certain depth and park it. That Will catch fish. You do the homework during soft water, and MARK the waypoints (secret spots), and you Will do better. Im no pro, i get my arse kicked out there too. I have put in the homework tho. Did I mention Inside turns between humps??? You still gotta catchem...

I agree with your disagreement. All my spots are secret spots, and I sure hope no plowed road leads to it!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:01 AM »
Maxi can most certainly hand you your rear end but she also can give you impressive creels. Thats what keeps me going back, shaking my head and cussing a lot of trips.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Maxi can most certainly hand you your rear end but she also can give you impressive creels. Thats what keeps me going back, shaking my head and cussing a lot of trips.
Agree. FYI, the roads are in shanty town area right off the ramp since that is where the majority fish. After seeing one guy pulling and one guy pushing a sled I just wanted to help out fellow fisherman. Good luck to all.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Agree. FYI, the roads are in shanty town area right off the ramp since that is where the majority fish. After seeing one guy pulling and one guy pushing a sled I just wanted to help out fellow fisherman. Good luck to all.
It's all good... you did a very cool thing that you didn't have to. Pulling a shack through snow is dangerous, especially for old timers, so now they can at least get out and wet a line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.