Author Topic: Spud Bar  (Read 3827 times)

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
Spud Bar
« on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Anyone able to recommend a spud bar ON AMAZON.COM to purchase? I have credit on there and want to get a new bar as mine came up missing

I dont see any with rope on the end to wrap around my hand - or do people usually drill their own hole in them?

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
Re: Spud Bar
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Anyone able to recommend a spud bar ON AMAZON.COM to purchase? I have credit on there and want to get a new bar as mine came up missing

I dont see any with rope on the end to wrap around my hand - or do people usually drill their own hole in them?

I bought a new Clam two-piece spud a few winters ago and don't like it.  The joint is loose and wobbly.  My old two-piece spud had a threaded joint that wasn't as fast to detach/attach, but was solid. 

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:52 AM »
The basic nims one piece with t handle is What I use. It's 35 bucks on Amazon. You can make a rope handle on it easily with no drilling since the t handle is hollow. I like the extra grip of the t handle but that's my preference
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I just got an eskimo red neck chisel. It has a lanyard on it to keep it from going to the bottom of the lake. It has a foam likehandle.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2017, 01:53 PM »
I think I bought my yellow frabil from fishusa a few years ago for 20 bucks and it’s awesome.  Cabelas has one that I like that’s 19.99. It’s fairly heavy and has a rubberized grip on it so it ain’t gonna slip through your hands to the bottom of the lake when you wack some thin ice.

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Long handle ice chisel from Menards is what I use. Very effective. 10 dollars. I've had mine 6 years.
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:03 PM »
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I like the HT polar 54" ice chisel I bought from Cabela's. It's heavy duty and has a hollow T handle, I put a rope through it. It was $20.
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2017, 08:29 PM »
More important than what kind you get is knowing how many hits it takes on different types of ice to let you know if you should proceed.  Only way to know that is take it out and use it.  I know if I swing mine 2 times in the same spot and it does not go thru, then neither will I, but everyone is different.  they have different heads, different sharpness, different weight and each person swings them different.  Learn to use it as it will save you from getting wet or losing your life.   

Example.  2 years ago I was on wawasee.  It was not first ice, was not a good ice year and the lake froze funny.  There were guys out fishing near where I wanted to go, so I spudded my way out to within 15 yrds of where I wanted to go and the ice was fine.  It was all snow covered so there was no obvious signs the ice was different.  I went about 3 more yrds swinging the spud each step.  It was ok for 3 more steps, then the next swing it went right thru in one swing.  Ice went from 5 to 6 inches to 1 in a single step.  Without a spud that day I would have went in.  That is the second time that exact scenario has happened to me.  Use it every time you go unless you know how the lake froze and are sure there is plenty of ice.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Wax_Worm is right on!
Make sure you figure out how much force it takes your chisel to punch through.
I love my Mille lacs deluxe.  If I can't draw liquid on one whack I'm good..  With that said yoy need to calibrate your own  whack. 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Im wondering how im going to relate my old way of determining to go out or a no go with my old frabill economy chisel which has kept me out of several situations as wax has said. The red neck chisel is much heavier and not as sharp. It has two blunt points on the ends and a somewhat sharpened middle. Im.used to about 8lbs lighter.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:35 AM »
It sure is easy to get complacent after you carefully spud your way out to the middle of the lake.  Sometimes before I know it I grab the drill and start punching holes in all directions while leaving the spud lay.  It's best to check in a couple of directions once you are in the area you plan on fishing.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2017, 07:54 AM »

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 07:12 AM »
the eskimo ice chisel. Sounds like it's just what you're looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Eskimo-CH11-Ice-Chisel/dp/B001ODAZE8/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AAX8KARXSV4EZ8SZ41ZB
if you would read the comments, two others have already recommended the same tool. ::)

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2017, 06:19 AM »
thanks guys - i looked at menards (quickly) didnt see the one recommended.. ill prob just grab one off amazon. will need it soon!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2017, 07:04 AM »
if you would read the comments, two others have already recommended the same tool. ::)

I did read the comments and then recommended it a third time. Hey, did you yap off at the guy that recommend it the second time or did you just wait for me???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck satyr36.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2017, 10:07 AM »
I did read the comments and then recommended it a third time. Hey, did you yap off at the guy that recommend it the second time or did you just wait for me???
---------------------awe spidey...someone needs to go fishing  ;D--------------------------------------------------------

Good luck satyr36.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:03 AM »
does it show? LOL!  :wacko:

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Big R or Rural King has them.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I saved myself a couple of bucks and got the eskimo economy redneck chisel.  It does not come with a grip or lanyard.  It is only the welded steel bar.  After a quick youtube search you can easily put a lanyard and handle on this using paracord.  I followed the below youtube video for a grip.  I'd suggest putting some athletic tape under the paracord so it doesn't slide around and I'd also suggest building up a layer of athletic tape at the bottom so the grip won't slide down when you are hitting the ice.

westernmas on the finder

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I saved myself a couple of bucks and got the eskimo economy redneck chisel. 

I think I have extra covers for that on the paying it forward thread:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=323774.msg3705617#msg3705617
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2017, 09:46 AM »
I bought a digging bar from one of the home improvement stores, Home Depot I think.  Wrapped some cord for handles and a wrist strap.  Heavy, strong, and cheap- just like me.  At least I used to be strong, and two out of three still ain’t bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.