Author Topic: What transducer to use in OPEN water?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
What transducer to use in OPEN water?
« on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:37 AM »
Planning to mount the VEX to my kayak - just wondering what transducer will give best results ?

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What transducer to use in OPEN water?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:11 AM »
Everyone is gone for the year on this site. No ice no food they packed up and left. Ghost town. Heard they headed to a new town call myfishfinder.com. Might ask there or crappie.com has lots on kayaks.
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:28 AM »
If you go to vexilars website they have a skimmer and a shoot through hull puck both will work I think I don't know how the shoot through will work with plastic I would guess fine. I know the skimmer will work but may be tricky to mount although I know some fishing kayaks are set up for a skimmer.

Offline trjordan09886

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drill it till it squirts
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:51 AM »
i'm checking this and MFF daily. I have a garmin striker 4 dv mounted on my yak, works well. just have my transducer mounted to a pvc pipe that i put in one of the rod holders and swing over the side. http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm392/Donlucille/TM4.jpg\

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:09 AM »
my ocean kayak has a scupper hole in the rear that is made to hold a transducer. it is egg shaped. i don't use them because i don't troll with it. i cast towards shore always.
i read they are expensive to get the ones that fit that design. i think it was 250$ and not a brand i would use either.

maybe think of how would it benefit you to have one on it or not. i have a marcum lx9 that is designed for open water too, but i always cast towards shore even in my boat and that has two sonars on it. the only reason i would turn one on it to get the water temp.

if you think you want it, see if your ducer is small enough to have most of it in a scupper hole first. if not then hull mount it. the ice ducers are limited and won't see far away tho, so you might prefer an open water ducer that does. cone angles are what your looking at next. open water uses 60 degree cone or more.

people use various adhesives for hull mount and some just keep a wet wash cloth under it. marine goop is one of the adhesives and i think clay was another. just use a semi permanent adhesive so it can be used on ice or if you buy a open water it can be removed if you upgrade your yak.

it has been talked about here and mf so try the search engine on both sites for more info.

here's more info on the web
http://www.fishnyak.com/sounder-to-prowler-13.html

http://store.oceankayak.com/products/909695/Transducer_Kits

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/2625/Humminbird-Transducer-for-Ocean-Kayak-Fishing-Kayaks-XTH-9-20-P.html

Offline satyr36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2017, 10:23 AM »
Thanks Ill take a look at the options

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:14 AM »
i just let it hang over the side. lol  as long as its not too deep and im not going too fast its fine. it tells me what i want to know from a flasher.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Check to see if the standard transducer will shoot through your kayak's hull.  I do this all of the time in my canoe, but I have to sit the transducer in the nose.  In order for it to work, the hull needs to be solid, without any air gaps or foam layers.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.