Author Topic: Aquaview ?  (Read 2459 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Aquaview ?
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:10 AM »
How many use them. Is most water in Indiana to stained for deep water use. Seems like a great training tool to learn how fish react to your jig and presentation. Buddy of mine has one but we have never used it. We both use vexlars so the two together seem like a good ideal just more to haul. How quick we'll a battery last if the two run off same draw. 

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Aquaview ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:18 AM »
I have a basic micro and it's neat but no game changer, at least for me. I can usually see in waters around here but I don't fish reservoirs so I can't speak for them. It has a built in lithium battery and mine lasts most if not all winter but I don't run it all the time. Mostly just check out what kind of bottom, how dense the fish are schooled and what the bait is doing. I picked it up reconditioned through aquavu and it was pretty cheap. If it ever breaks I don't know that I'll replace it.

Offline stephen20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:19 AM »
I have one and use it a bit. Its the handheld aquaview unit. I dont ise it to watch my jig. I use it to chexk out the bottom, or see what kind of weeds im in, that sort of thing. I like it and it serves ots purpose for me. If its a slow bite, but marking fish, i will send it down and play with it and look for fish. When the bite is on, the vexilar is all i use. It does seem that the particles in the water, make it hard to see much. Some lakes are better than others tho.

Offline Graygills22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:40 PM »
My buddy's had one in the upper peninsula...it was a windy miserable day...stuck it in water and seen schools of gills,crappie, pike...just not biting...they gave up. We stuck it out and got 10 or so in the morning...ended up limited out by the eve...with a couple 30 inch pike..they partied at cabin.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I've had one for 15 years or so and use it a lot on clear lakes, sand ,marl bottom. Works great to see what the fish are doing when they are not biting. Works great for finding perch in deep water. That being said, after learning a lot from using, I don't even take it anymore. Only if my grandson is along.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I'm going to share a little story with the only time I've seen or used one. Was up in Mn on our our yearly trip with life time buddies. To say the least we 'd been drinking like young mid 20 yr olds do. My buddy in the front of the boat standing on the deck, you might of guessed, feel out. No big deal just funnier than h---. When he climbs back aboard the glasses he was wearing, his only pair was not on his head. Again funnier than h---. He's one of those guys with the beer bottle thick glasses, can't see without them. We head into town with ideal we would rent an aquaview and just dive down and pick em up off bottom. After many attempts in the 25ft deep water and a lot of laughs we finally gave up but the aquaview did it's part. After leaving the entire unit out in the rain for a couple days we knew we couldn't take it back where we rented it so we all threw in a few bucks and bought a seldom used but worn out abused unit for just under $200.     

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:38 AM »
Most waters anywhere have enough clarity for using under water cameras. I've fished from North Dakota to Michigan and Indiana, everywhere in between. The trick is keeping the screen glare and reflection to a minimum. For example inside your shack and if your hole hopping, we on the tournament trail have just kept a large towel draped around neck and covered up over our head when looking using them on the move. I recommend the micro 5 for my all around use. It's big enough to see quite clearly yet still small enough to fit in my ice armor coat pocket when on the move. Use of the tripod panner is beneficial when educating myself on the fish reaction to my jig and presentation.  Honestly I should tell you that I've kind of switched to the new marcum recon 5+ for several reasons. First is the ability to have water temp, depth and especially directional options which aqua vu doesn't offer as of yet. I've also noticed the color and clarity of it are better as well. Couple things to remember with the marcum. Directional will quit working if the camera is in the up or down viewing position instead of horizontal, the other is anytime you use infra red or lighting you are going to lose visibility to an extent because you are also illuminating the zoo plankton and other particles within the water system. With that said you will definitely see eyes, crappie as well as other fish just as well. All in all they extremely great tools for the underwater world
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:40 AM »
Oh and I should have said that along with marcum being sponsers of this site , they are cheaper than an aqua vu
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:42 PM »
Use it exclusively when looking for crappies and gills in channels. Saves a ton of time and even stained water visibility is good enough. Clear water though rocks! I like the micro but the cord to the camera gets damaged pretty easily my only complaint.

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:26 AM »
  i quit using my aquaview a couple years ago. spent more time watching screen than actually fishing lol. very interesting to watch fish reactions. also had trouble using in day light.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:11 PM »
The only time I seem to benefit using my aquaview is when I am searching the bottom. Never can see anything above that. Just my problem I guess. Maybe if there was a big school suspended I might be able to tune it in.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:06 PM »
I use my mirco 5 to to scout...check for weeds , bottom etc...It is cool to see fish on it to.  But to hard to fish it.   Its a great add on tool for your ice gear collection.   I use my vex to jig them up.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline fishingfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2017, 01:00 AM »

I love my aqua view.  A friend built me a camera holder that works great,  I drill a hole about 2 feet away from the hole i am fishing and watch my jig and the fish.  It also helps seeing the bottom when I am searching for a place to fish.  The vex shows the depth and if weeds are present but to see it on the camera shows you the whole picture.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2017, 03:47 AM »
I had an older scout several years back that showed me how the fish would suck the bait in before even seeing it on a spring bobber. Pretty cool but I looked as it as a distraction and ended up selling it. The new ones with color and better screens to show weeds and bottom make up might make it more useful. Now the guys that post camera or flasher? every year on here it's the same answer from me flasher.
Fish on!

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I have an aqua view micro. Like others have posted, I use it for specific purposes when ice fishing (looking to see how dense the fish are, checking out the weeds, checking the bottom surface, watching how the fish are biting my jig, etc...). The main thing to know is that it works pretty well inside a shanty or quick flip, but the screen is very difficult to see when you are out in the open (too much glare). Called Aquaview about that, and they said that is just the way it is and recommended a screen protector with glare reduction. Still can't see well out in the open.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.