New York > Ice Fishing New York

engel bait cooler or bait cooler recommendations

(1/5) > >>

Mancaveburnett:
I have been using my buddies bait cooler for a while and I want to purchase one for this season. I have seen engel bait coolers. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on these or what bait coolers all of you would recommend?

esox_xtm:
I got a 19 qt on sale @ Cabelas last year for just over $50 to my door. Certainly solves the slosh/spill issue. Seems pretty sturdy. I liked the bait net insert but did was not impressed with the noisy two-speed aerator. Wound up adapting my much quieter Frabill Whisper pump and added an outboard power jack to it so I can run it off a 110v wall wart.

I'd had it with the spilling all over everything. Seemed like no matter how I secured a lid or how careful I was there was always minnow water everywhere.  By the time I looked for a suitable cooler that lent itself to a secure mod I was in the $40 range so this was a no brainer for me.

kayl:
I bought the Engle for $50 last year from Austin Kayak with one of their monthly coupons. If you sign up for the newsletter, you'll get a 10% or 15% off coupon every month. I was in lucky enough that my credit card price protection gave it to me for $7 after it was posted on that price at that price on another site that cancelled all the orders. I was very happy with it at the $50 I paid and recommend it without reservation.

ActiveTrapChecker:

--- Quote from: esox_xtm on Aug 22, 2018, 04:06 PM ---I got a 19 qt on sale @ Cabelas last year for just over $50 to my door. Certainly solves the slosh/spill issue. Seems pretty sturdy. I liked the bait net insert but did was not impressed with the noisy two-speed aerator. Wound up adapting my much quieter Frabill Whisper pump and added an outboard power jack to it so I can run it off a 110v wall wart.

I'd had it with the spilling all over everything. Seemed like no matter how I secured a lid or how careful I was there was always minnow water everywhere.  By the time I looked for a suitable cooler that lent itself to a secure mod I was in the $40 range so this was a no brainer for me.

--- End quote ---

19 quarts seems like a decent size. Given I don’t fill my 5gal bucket to the top with the styrofoam liner, I am curious to know how much water you put in it, and what kind/how much bait you carry at one time.

This question is assuming you were able to use it last season on the hardwater...

esox_xtm:
Yep. Almost 5 gallons to the top. Even though it seals well I only fill 2/3 to 3/4. It never hurts to give quality bait plenty of room. One trip to LBDN last year I left the bait shop with 8 dozen suckers up to 10" and another 4 dozen small shiners for tipping heads. Made it out to the lake and divided there. It was double full but didn't lose a one.

Usually I'd carry 1 - 2 dozen assorted shiners, suckers or chubs. I like to fish pike so it's generally some of the largest bait I can get my hands on. Then depending on what the trip is there'll be another coupla dozen medium of same. So as I think about it 4 dozen is easily handled. I do much prefer the performance of the Frabill aerator vs the stock one for both quiet and air delivery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version