Author Topic: "Double lace" bunny boots?  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
"Double lace" bunny boots?
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:53 PM »
So I'm on my second pair of bunny boots and absolutely love them for warmness. That said my first pair did fail in a year or so but they spent the offseason cast off in the garage somewhere. This pair will get a little more love and hopefully last for a couple seasons. My question is does any one now the process of "Double Lacing" bunny boots. There is a large printed instruction to double lace printed directly on the boot. Also the person I purchased from sent along 4 new laces. Hopefully someone who served in our armed forces and knows them well!! Or any one with any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: "Double lace" bunny boots?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:19 PM »
huh my bunnys and mickeys don't have that printed  on the boot..ive used them for 15 years straight on both pair.what failed on yours?only thing I do is fold the tongue the way it wants to go,wear  a big long pair of socks and fold them over the outside of the boots or ankles/legs will chaff bad.1 pair of laces.mine are bata brand.i do have some white ones from Canada that are alright but aren't as well built as my batas.both my pairs were made in 1971 and still in great shape.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 03:08 PM »
My first pair were Canadian made. I probably should have bought them Wide as one was a tad difficult to slide my foot in. Each boot had a slit or tear of the rubber on the inside of the ankle but that was only superficial as it stopped as the insulation started in the high ankle. Later in the season they ended up cracking in the bend of the foot where the most stress is on the rubber. Just before they cracked I added like 15-20 3/8ths drywall screws to the bottom tread. After the crack opened and the screws were in the boots would not keep my feet warm. I'm a little skeptical but will probably buy the dirt bike racing screws and add just a few to each boot. Also the acton brand I think it was were from 83'. My new pair are batas, not sure of the year I will check tonight. I will post a picture of the label if I can figure out how to do so.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 04:02 PM »
My first pair were Canadian made. I probably should have bought them Wide as one was a tad difficult to slide my foot in. Each boot had a slit or tear of the rubber on the inside of the ankle but that was only superficial as it stopped as the insulation started in the high ankle. Later in the season they ended up cracking in the bend of the foot where the most stress is on the rubber. Just before they cracked I added like 15-20 3/8ths drywall screws to the bottom tread. After the crack opened and the screws were in the boots would not keep my feet warm. I'm a little skeptical but will probably buy the dirt bike racing screws and add just a few to each boot. Also the acton brand I think it was were from 83'. My new pair are batas, not sure of the year I will check tonight. I will post a picture of the label if I can figure out how to do so.
those Canadian ones are pos compared to batas.you should have your batas for many years.they don't crack like the actons.even if the batas show little stress cracks they still will be warm and waterproof.i love my bata mickeys and bunny boots and have used them for over 20 years but as I get older they are getting too heavy to walk in with bad hips.hope muck arctic pros are as good as my micks.i could never put screws in my boots tho.id check out kahtoola microspikes.expensive but a great set of spikes and I could run across the ice if I was a little younger.lol

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:21 PM »
The earliest date melted into the heel is 76'. I have been doing some research online, and haven't come up with any information related to double lacing the bunny boots.I did however find examples of different ways to double lace. Some were a bit too hip to wear on the ice! First attempt at adding a picture! And the picture is pretty poorly lit. Here goes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 12:35 PM »
My question is does any one now the process of "Double Lacing" bunny boots. There is a large printed instruction to double lace printed directly on the boot. Also the person I purchased from sent along 4 new laces. Hopefully someone who served in our armed forces and knows them well!! Or any one with any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the picture in the links ...the lace doubled in that hole ...not certain how you accomplish that ...good luck with your purchase .

http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/boots/mickey-mouse-boots/us-military-bunny-boots-new.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Guess mine are double laced in the hole that says keep double laced to hold firmly.no idea how to lace like that tho.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 01:22 PM »
Guess mine are double laced in the hole that says keep double laced to hold firmly.

I believe it is so not to compress or put pressure across bones and blood vessels across the top of the foot causing constriction and less blood flow ...neat idea ..looks like i may try this on a pair or to of my boots .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Thank you gentleman for your response. I didn't take the little arrow on the instruction to mean literally that hole. Good to know!! I should be able to make something work with the pictures you both provided. Thanks!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Thank you gentleman for your response. I didn't take the little arrow on the instruction to mean literally that hole. Good to know!! I should be able to make something work with the pictures you both provided. Thanks!

:thumbsup: good luck

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:42 AM »
Check out the picture in the links ...the lace doubled in that hole ...not certain how you accomplish that ...good luck with your purchase .

http://go-armynavy.com/military-surplus/boots/mickey-mouse-boots/us-military-bunny-boots-new.html

Instead of lacing up to the next hole, go straight across the boot and back through, then continue working your way up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.