Author Topic: advice on gloves?  (Read 7278 times)

Offline HT Redneck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: advice on gloves?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:38 AM »
I have found a well worn in pair of thinsulate insulated leather gloves to be about the most versatile hand wear going.  When fairly new treat with snow seal and then break in until soft.  Once broken in they offer a great deal of wind protection and water shedding while still allow for quite a bit of feel and warmth.  Maybe not the best in any one category but all around a top contender.   
Any day you can walk on water is a good day.........

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:42 PM »
There are two generations of the Ice Armor gloves.  The first generation used a micro fleece type material. The second uses a ballistic nylon type material. I have no experience with the nylon type. However, I have owed two pairs of the fleece type. Both have ripped out at the base of the thumb. I returned the first pair (got a couple of dozen trips outta that pair) for the second pair.  Wore those for six trips out and they ripped at the same spot (base of thumb) on both hands. The store I bought them from said I had to contact Clam. I sent two emails (no reply) and made a phone call to Clam (put on hold....no answer).  I expected better out of a Clam product and service.  I'd like to hear how the nylon type are holding up.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I use regular insulated work gloves (the cheap ones) and use fingerless goretex / wind stopper glove for jigging outside if needed. Otherwise I go bare paw.

I suggest looking at OR (Outdoor Research) gloves. They are pricey but they are built for the outdoors mainly for  mountain climbers with removable liners. They have all different kinds of styles.

JIGGIN.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2010, 06:25 PM »
i go cheap with the gloves.....but i keep extras handy.....
if my hands get cold and wet, there is a extra dry pair to keep em' warm
2-pair of the walmart "mitten fold up thing-a-mah-jobbies", and a pair of insulated work gloves
i wouldnt depend on one pair of gloves..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2010, 12:24 AM »
I have the Ice Armour extreme gloves and mittens.  Love them. They are durable, warm, and water proof.  I have had them for two seasons.

I also had the regular ice armour gloves. They lasted 3 seasons of heavy use and finally wore out when I was changing a garage door and cable. (Wife back into the door and kept going with the Jeep while it was half way down.) The cable just tore them apart, they were not really built construction work.

surflizard

« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:36 AM »
Due to making my living working outside for over 29 years and my fair share of work related injuries to the paws, I really have a tough time keeping them warm. Last year a buddy suggested trying the heavy duty latex rubber examination gloves, What a God send, YIPEE, NO MORE COLD PAWS !! I wear them under my Choko Claws for the ride out and set up, then I'm good for the day with the exam gloves. I have enough dexterity with them on to tie knots with 4lb leader line.
The thicker exam gloves cost 7 bucks for a box of  200 pairs, the box lasted the whole ice season and through Spring Salmon season with a bunch left over.  ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Ah that explains it. I thought you didn't want to get the fish smell / slime on your hands or had dermatitis and that's why you wore latex gloves.

Neat idea.

JIGGIN.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:36 AM »
Ah that explains it. I thought you didn't want to get the fish smell / slime on your hands or had dermatitis and that's why you wore latex gloves.

Neat idea.

JIGGIN.

Ya I thought something was up too!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #38 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:41 AM »
I don't have problems with my hands. I stick them in the water to remove ice and fish. The extreme days I will wear some fingered gore-tex with the gauntlets. I also will wear them for the ride out on the four wheeler. But if you want extreme gloves look to drifters. He would not have a glove that wasn't warm where he fishes.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #39 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Due to making my living working outside for over 29 years and my fair share of work related injuries to the paws, I really have a tough time keeping them warm. Last year a buddy suggested trying the heavy duty latex rubber examination gloves, What a God send, YIPEE, NO MORE COLD PAWS !! I wear them under my Choko Claws for the ride out and set up, then I'm good for the day with the exam gloves. I have enough dexterity with them on to tie knots with 4lb leader line.
The thicker exam gloves cost 7 bucks for a box of  200 pairs, the box lasted the whole ice season and through Spring Salmon season with a bunch left over.  ;D

i was wondering the same as jiggin' "why the doc's gloves" in lizards pics??
we use the same gloves at work. ill have to give em' a try this year, cuz when i cut up the sucker,
 i do it outside, and sometimes when im done, it feels like my fingers arent there...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

surflizard

« Reply #40 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Hey Jiggin, another side benefit to the exam gloves,is that I don't get any of my nasty smellin human oil on my bait or jigs ! I've seen enough times that when the Lakers come into the chum pile, they don't pick it up and spit it back out now ! They don't hesitate at any human odor anymore, they gobble it down like the odd uncle and the Turkey that everyone has that shows up for the holidays !  ;D  EXCEPT WHEN THEY GRAB THE ONE WITH THE SHARP POINTY THINGAMAJIG IN IT !   :icefish: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

surflizard

« Reply #41 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Your right Michiana, Last year Drifter mentioned the Choko Claws on one of his posts. I found them at the work clothes store just off of the Waterville Valley exit on 93. I think I paid $ 49.00 for them, I'd even pay more for em if I had too ! ;D THEY WORK !! I really like the fact that I can pull out the polypropylene liners to dry em, They have zippered pockets for heat packs and last but not least, The have a nice fuzzy removable and washable snot rocket wiper !! ;D  :roflmao: I really gave those Choko Claws a beating last winter and all they did was get softer !! :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Aug 31, 2010, 09:34 PM »
love my ice armor gloves. i must have newer ones? i hear guys saying they suck. ive never been able to wear gloves. on ice or in woods. my fingers get cold. ive always needed mitts. this is honestly the first pair of GLOVES that keep my fingers warm. plus i can set up and pick up with them on

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Aug 31, 2010, 10:43 PM »
ice armor gloves are deffinitely the way to go i can stick my hands down the with them on and they stay bone dry on the inside

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 01, 2010, 01:04 AM »
I've went with a pair of leather thinsulates last year. I own a pair of the first gen. Ice armour X', and while they are TOASTY warm and they were waterproof, they were not very good "chore" gloves. They were very, VERY warm though!!! I found a tough old pair of snowboarding gloves I'll use again until I buy a snowmobile or I am impressed enough to buy a new pair of icefishing gloves...I'll stick with the leather thinsulates as my "tipup" gloves. You almost need two pairs of icefishing gloves (Or one really WARM DURABLE pair) and thats what I think the manufacturers are gearing towards nowadays. I wont buy if they are not quality gloves anymore. The only way I see fit though to determine if they are really waterproof or not is to take the "watertest"...but I'm babbling and waiting for ICE!!! :icefish:

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I'm going to try the latex gloves out! Thanks Surflizard. For jigging i use the wool fingerless gloves because i can't stand the loss of dexterity from fingered gloves. For the rest of the time I buy all my winter gear in "tall" sizes. That way i can wear no gloves or my wool fingerless and have toasty warm hands and fingers. I simply pull my sleeves down over my hands. Very quick and easy to do and super fast to get my hands out of. Surprisingly warm too.  I can guarantee this will not work for everyone but it's what i preffer. But it does suck when you have to carry a 5lb wet flopping pike 100yards and it's -20 and windy!!!! You wind up with a dry, frozen pike and burning hands since your fingers have to be exposed to hold the critter!  I purchased a pair of duck decoy gloves to try for those conditions this season.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #46 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:00 AM »
I rarely wear gloves, if I do, I wear the military wool insert gloves.(see my avatar)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #47 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:28 AM »
I'm not a glove wearer but got a pair for Christmas one year...original ice armor gloves SUCK! mine were never waterproof first steel head i pulled through the hole, the gloves soaked thru. so when cold. i went to the old standby white cotton inserts my dad gets from the electric company. they travel well in a pocket and do not take up much space.
wood is good

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Fingerless wool gloves with the pull over mitten part...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.