Author Topic: Are all extreme cold snow boots heavy and stiff?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Need to fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Are all extreme cold snow boots heavy and stiff?
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I just bought my wife the Cabalas Inferno 2000 Pac boots. They fit her fine but she said that they were heavy and stiff. My experience with serious cold boots are with my Sorels are just as heavy though not quite as stiff.

Can we expect the boots to soften up with use? Are all boots for serious cold heavy and stiff. The boots weigh about five pounds a pair.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Are all extreme cold snow boots heavy and stiff?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2009, 07:09 AM »
I would bet they will get softer as they wear in. 

Offline CJW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:55 AM »
For pac boots, you're probably not going to get any lighter.  And though I have no experience with said boots, I've never had a pair of boots that weren't at least a little stiff before being broken in, work, hunting, or pac boots.  Probable depends on how they're made too.  My advice would be for her to just wear them around the house for a little while, and as long as they aren't rubbing or creasing in any way that's causing pain, they'll probably be alright.  But if she doesn't like them, by all means send them back.  This is why I won't order boots.  It's in the store or nothing.

Good luck.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:40 AM »
If you look at Bafin and Irish Setters, they're just over 3 lbs each.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:56 AM »
If you look at Bafin and Irish Setters, they're just over 3 lbs each.

I'd 2nd the Setters.  I got them and really like them.  Light, warm, and comfortable.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:03 AM »
I just bought my wife the Cabalas Inferno 2000 Pac boots. They fit her fine but she said that they were heavy and stiff. My experience with serious cold boots are with my Sorels are just as heavy though not quite as stiff.

Can we expect the boots to soften up with use? Are all boots for serious cold heavy and stiff. The boots weigh about five pounds a pair.

Huh I have the exact same boots and I do not think that they are stiff or heavy (actually some of the lighter heavy duty cold boots I have had). Mine are 3 years old so maybe they will loosen up a bit. Maybe some mink oil or something along that lines on the leather to soften it up?

J-

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:11 AM »
If the uppers are made of leather, treat them with a good sealant like snow seal. It will keep them waterproof, help break them in, and keep the leather from cracking.  Heat them up good with a hair dryer first so the sealant soaks in.  Just like a baseball glove...got to break them in a little first.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.