Author Topic: Car booster as FF battery?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Car booster as FF battery?
« on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:23 PM »
I have a booster pack for my car. Since it is 12v I should be able to use it on my FF in a pinch. I am having trouble finding out the amp hr rating.

Has anyone tried this and how did you figure out, even approx, how many amp-hrs of 'juice' was in the batt pack>?

thx
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Car booster as FF battery?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2020, 03:54 AM »
Should be some sort of label on it somewhere. Those are usually rated/sold by milliamps (mA) and you might even see mAh for milliamp hours. Divide by 1000 and you get an answer. I am disinclined to believe some of those ratings, often in the 20 - 10K range), for the cheaper pocket sized lithium units. I had an older Prestone jumper pack that was the size of a 12 pack. When I dissected it there was a 17 Ah SLA inside which would be 17000mAh. If you've got a full sized jumper it would probably be in the same area as that Prestone.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Those cheap lithium jumper packs should have no problem running a flasher - they'd struggle running a helix or the like for a decent amount of time. I'd wager the true capacity of those jumpers is closer to 4-6ah

They would run shack lights w/o a problem

Catchin' Fish

Offline dsupercat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:07 AM »
I have a booster pack for my car. Since it is 12v I should be able to use it on my FF in a pinch. I am having trouble finding out the amp hr rating.

Has anyone tried this and how did you figure out, even approx, how many amp-hrs of 'juice' was in the batt pack>?

thx

What is the brand, model or does is have any labels on the unit.  Those jumper packs sometimes need to see a load on them to turn the output on.  If you connect them directly to the fish finder it might not turn the output on.  I would need other specs to determine if it would work. 

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2020, 06:35 AM »
I hooked up a jumper to my HB 797c2 (over 10 yrs old) with the GPS running, and it lasted about 4 hrs.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:47 PM »
Noco jump starters can serve as power source ONLY if GB70 or larger. I got the GB 40 for Christmas and it only jump starts. So I returned for the GB70.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:57 PM »
I got a viking from harbor freight that I run my flasher with.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2021, 11:56 AM »
I pulled apart an old booster/tire pump combo and there was a 19 amp hour SLA battery inside. It was still in great shape and I'm now using it in my shack.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:10 PM »
I pulled apart an old booster/tire pump combo and there was a 19 amp hour SLA battery inside. It was still in great shape and I'm now using it in my shack.

Same dimensions as a common Flasher SLA battery ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:15 PM »
The car boosters ive taken apart the batteries range in size depending on how many jump crank amps it has.all have been bigger than a flasher battery.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Same dimensions as a common Flasher SLA battery ?

No. Nearly three times the capacity equals a lot larger. Still smaller and lighter and more handy than a big deep cycle though. I was pretty happy when I saw it was still charging and holding like new. I never drained it or abused it, it was the tire pump crapping out that made me tear it down, so hopefully it will last a while.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Good photo

Lower cost jumper packs have one sealed lead acid small 7ah. 12v battery
Same dimensions to fit in your vexilar carry box or genzblue ice box

These 7ah batteries will run your flasher all day
They can be bought ebay 15.00 and generally last 3-5 years

Higher cost jumper packs have either two 7ah sla batteries.  or the have one jumbo heavy 15ah or 19ah.   imo too much weight for me to drag around

i have replaced batteries in jumper packs.    just note the size shape ah and terminal type.     and go find one in the ebay

i keep a couple 7ah on hand charged for my flashers and cameras

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2021, 08:35 AM »
Thx guys for the responses. I have not had a chance to look into it further.It is now a low priority. We are now "locked down"----fishing is OK but  driving outside our local area is not

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.