Author Topic: Otter XT Hideout review  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Otter XT Hideout review
« on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Pulled the trigger on the Otter XT hideout this year, ordered it early as it sounds like they are going to be in short supply. I had a hard time finding a whole lot of reviews, Scheels isn't carrying any in stock, and I got annoyed with "pro-staffers" pushing their biased recommendations on me. So I thought i'd leave a short review and update it throughout the season as I get to use it more.

Initial thoughts:
-Heck of a lot easier to put together than my Clam Nanook was, took ~2 hours while entertaining a 2 and 4 year old as well.
-Fabric seems very durable, thicker than the insulated fabric on my XTH lodge although the descriptions both say 600d thermal tec
-Heavy, this was something I saw consistently in reviews and they weren't lying. I don't plan to use it until I can drive my ATV out
-Wish the windows were removable like in the hub shacks
-The seat is very comfortable and seems like a good height for me, I could see the benefit of having an adjustable seat height for different sized people. I like that the back of the sled doesn't lift up when I sit down, seems like all the flip overs I used in the past had that problem
-It's big, way bigger than I expected. Personally I would have been okay with a smaller shack as I plan to use it on the move vs setting up camp. I can't really complain about too much room but I'm glad I didn't go with the wide 1 inferno.
-Comes with an extra skirt to seal off around the sled, I didn't put it on but might later in the season depending how much air flow there is.
-The front wind pole goes right through the center of the door, I'll more than likely not use it.

I added a cargo net to the sled and sprayed with scotch guard to make it more waterproof. Will likely add some LED lights at some point and some rod holders, just not exactly sure how I want those set up yet. I'll add more thoughts as we get into the hardwater season. (4-5 weeks to go!)
Da Pack!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Otter XT Hideout review
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2020, 11:13 AM »
I ran one for a couple years, would agree it is bigger and heavier than I expected. I pulled by hand and it wasn't bad unless it was in deep, heavy, wet snow.

I kept off the outside skirt extensions and that skirt that hangs off the rear of the sled when I first built it. It's just a bad design with the way the sled is shaped, the material isn't cut right to cover it all. My advice, definitely put the two outside extensions on, any cold breeze blowing around finds its way into the inside. The skirt that attaches down by your feet... I did end up putting it on, just because, but I thought the extensions were enough to block out any air just fine. 

I thought about putting a spacer under the seat post to raise it up but never got around to it, it was pretty comfortable for me as is. My only complaint was my seat wobbled a lot, when I'd lean over to the side I almost felt the need to catch myself. Got used to it after a while and wasn't a big deal.

Never had any issues with windows, zippers, or anything else. In really heavy winds, I would use the rear support, and that was usually enough, rarely the center support and I don't think I ever used the front one.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2020, 11:29 AM »
I ran one for a couple years, would agree it is bigger and heavier than I expected. I pulled by hand and it wasn't bad unless it was in deep, heavy, wet snow.

I kept off the outside skirt extensions and that skirt that hangs off the rear of the sled when I first built it. It's just a bad design with the way the sled is shaped, the material isn't cut right to cover it all. My advice, definitely put the two outside extensions on, any cold breeze blowing around finds its way into the inside. The skirt that attaches down by your feet... I did end up putting it on, just because, but I thought the extensions were enough to block out any air just fine. 

I thought about putting a spacer under the seat post to raise it up but never got around to it, it was pretty comfortable for me as is. My only complaint was my seat wobbled a lot, when I'd lean over to the side I almost felt the need to catch myself. Got used to it after a while and wasn't a big deal.

Never had any issues with windows, zippers, or anything else. In really heavy winds, I would use the rear support, and that was usually enough, rarely the center support and I don't think I ever used the front one.

Appreciate the input! I should probably just put the skirt extensions on and be done with it, they can't really hurt. Did you use the top wind support at all or would you run it without any wind support on a normal day?
Da Pack!

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Appreciate the input! I should probably just put the skirt extensions on and be done with it, they can't really hurt. Did you use the top wind support at all or would you run it without any wind support on a normal day?

That was what I mean by the center support, the one on the top. Normal days I didn't need the supports at all.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2020, 07:12 AM »
I added some battery powered LED lights to my shack. Bought a 4 pack off amazon. They are rechargeable with a lithium ion battery, approximately 6" long each. I used velcro with tape backing to attach to my shack so they are easily removable to charge. No wires and no extra battery was the kicker for me.

These are the lights I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081B1CJZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added the skirt to the inside by my feet as suggested, I can see the benefit.

Another month and she should see her first outing!
Da Pack!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I've got two uses out of the shack so far, both moreso because I wanted to use it vs needing to use it. My Mr buddy heater is almost over-kill for the shack, even on low I was overheating if I kept it on for an extended period of time. Not a bad problem I suppose.

Not having to adjust the poles is a huge benefit for being mobile, I found myself hole hopping with it more than I thought I would.

Dropped my rod holder in the hole before I could even try it out, so that was a bummer. But two holes, my heater and flasher all fit with ease.

I might switch the location of the rope for pulling, to me it would make more sense to pull the shack from the front so I can stop in front of the hole instead of having to spin the shack around, or pull it over the hole since the pull rope is attached to the back of the sled.

Got a little mud on it already, we need some snow  ::)

Da Pack!

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2021, 09:50 AM »
Sounds like a nice shelter.  So, you would not recommend buying if planning on using while walking?   If not, what pull over shelters similar quality would work walking?  Too bad, as this one seems like the best!  :)

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2021, 09:35 AM »
Sounds like a nice shelter.  So, you would not recommend buying if planning on using while walking?   If not, what pull over shelters similar quality would work walking?  Too bad, as this one seems like the best!  :)

I guess it kind of depends on where you fish, the majority of lakes I fish have very little foot or vehicle traffic, so I have to pull through snow and slush pretty regularly. I honestly wouldn't pull any flip over by hand. If there is a well established path, then this shack pulls just fine. I added a ~20' pull rope to it to make it even easier. I had the clam nanook awhile back and pulled that out in my younger days, the hideout is significantly easier to pull than that was.

If I was going to buy a 1 man flip over to pull primarily by hand, I'd look into either the frabill or shappell 1 man shacks, both of them make a very lightweight shack. I'd also probably skip out on the insulation to save on weight, but you lose out on a lot of the benefits of a insulated shack then.

Hard part with shacks is weighing your personal pro's and con's and accepting that it likely won't be perfect in every situation, there doesn't seem to be any one shack that fits the best of all worlds.
Da Pack!

Offline Boogerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:51 AM »
I own a hideout , bought it 2 yrs ago.  Here in PA pulling by hand is the only option on 99% of our lakes.  I put mine on a smitty sled which makes the drag easy.  I like it for the most part, it warms easily with the buddy heater.  I just try to keep the stuff I bring to a min to save on weight. 

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2021, 08:55 AM »
With the arctic freeze this past weekend I decided to hoof it about 3/4 of a mile through 8" of fresh powder last night pulling my hideout. It was surprisingly easier than expected. Not something I would want to do on a regular basis, but manageable with a couple short rest breaks.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.