Author Topic: Out with a bang!  (Read 1056 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Out with a bang!
« on: Mar 31, 2018, 04:21 PM »
Well, my previous plans bailed on me so I decided to try and fill that 2nd class A tag a Pigeon. 

So, went there.  None too early. -27 on the way there....**censored**!!! 

Tried in 9 FOW for a while but not too long. Nothing...no wallies... Thought about trying more but instead headed to my new white fish spot I found.  The hyper coil on the strike master hypered its ass into broken.  Piece of crap.  I'll have to get it replaced.  Anyways,  eventually got it started again by holding down the handle and messing around with the "hyper useless" coil.  Get setup and as soon as I turn the flasher on I'm marking fish at 10 FOW.  And lots. 

Drop down the jaw jacker and there are fish all over it.  At least 3.  Nothing hit it while I got my other rod and dropped it down.   As soon as I did, the marks headed up towards the dropping hooks.  It was hard to see  below but I could make out several shapes go by the hooks about 10 feet down.  And they were big!

Brought the hooks up, dropped down, and watched as a leviathan came in.  I was only 4 feet below the ice.  It turned took a shot....went away out of view and then came back and inhaled the bottom hook.   I set it and you could feel  that huge weight right away.  Line starts peeling off on the floor that I bunched up and it gets onto the rod.   That sucker almost spooled me!!   I’m guessing it ran for about 100 yards.  A good, good, fight later and I landed a total fat, fat, fatty.   7.4 lb white.

Didn’t matter after this.   I could have left happy then.  Still, had some more whites come around and come close.   About 60 minutes later though I marked a fish.  Looked down...waited..  It came by about a foot under the ice.   Brought the hooks up and re-dropped them a couple of feet.  It came in and did another pass and I hooked up less than 2 feet under the ice.  So visual!    A really amazing even better fight and I landed my 2nd which was a 5.6 lb white.

That was enough for me.  Packed up and headed home.  The 7.4 lber is in the brine already and the other is going to be fried.  Some huge slabs o meat on these fish.    Now that is a season ender!!!

Definitely a season to remember.  Great fishing and lots of lakes explored.  About 12 or so lakes explored.  And some old reliables were....reliable  ;D

Offline allenford

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Out with a bang!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2018, 05:17 PM »
holy smoke, congrats! that is a awesome season ender for sure.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Out with a bang!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Goin out in style my friend, goin out in style ;D

SHOTGUN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.