Author Topic: Auto fisherman and Circle hooks...WOW!!!!!  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Northwinds

• IceShanty Rookie
Auto fisherman and Circle hooks...WOW!!!!!
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:00 PM »

Tried a new method for rainbow trout today,set out a auto fisherman armed with #10 circle hook and a wax worm.For those not familiar with these(auto fisherman),they are a set-up that uses a spring loaded principle,  by using a slip bobber and giving about a foot of slack,the trout can swallow the bait and swim about a foot before the catch trips and sets the hook.The auto than plays the fish,allowing it to run,plus taking the slack up when needed.The circle hook nailed them in the corner of the mouth about 75% of the time.It worked very very well,missing few and handling trout over 10 lbs.For those wondering,it is a commercial pond. The auto is available from the Fishin' Hole. TRY ONE!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Auto fisherman and Circle hooks...WOW!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Do you have a pic of this set up and how do you think it will work for walleye.

Offline IceFishr01

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is not just a way of life, it is life
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Doesnt sound like any fun, you dont have anything to do with playing the fish or actually actively fishing anymore. Maybe for old men who just sit in their trucks with the heater going. ;)

Have fun with that.

Cheers,

Offline Northwinds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:05 AM »
 I think it would be deadly on walleyes,I'll get some pics up in a few days.

As I said,I am using these in a commercial trout lake,it's harvest time and I try to yank them out as fast as possible.It's a heck of a lot more sport than a net  and  you have more control over the number's harvested.Not a lot different than a tip-up,but the circle hook is the key.... hooking percentages went way up,in fact, you miss very few fish plus , the corner of the mouth hook up is about as good as it gets! ::)

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Sounds like its working for ya! Awesome!

I found when I use my sled ad it's a bit windy, I place my rod under my seat cushion. The rocking of the sled creates a small jigging effect. It's easily been seen on somedays to triple my hook sets, and landing the fish.

Glad you are slaying 'em with that.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:16 AM »
They work well for walleye to.
I gotta chubby

Offline Northwinds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:18 PM »
IContact,
 I am using a device that is totally different then what you were kind enough to post a picture of.I went out and looked and the box said Auto Fisherman on it not automatic, oops,made a mistake.The one I am using is a galvanized metal disk about 3.25" in diameter.It has about 25' of real heavy braided line on it.When you pull the line out it winds a spring,just like a retractable cord on a vacuum cleaner.I tie a 4' leader of Berkly Vanish on the end of it and attach the circle hook to that.When a fish hits it ,it can swim about a 1' before the trigger goes off .A big trout will hit the end of the heavy cord so I put a spring on frame and attach the auto fisherman to that,only had 1 fish that broke the 6 lb leader so far.
 How does that set-up work that you  posted the picture of????

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:27 PM »
I know the one you are talking about as well but I like retrieving fish with a rod and reel.
I rig the Auto fisherman a little different than they recommend. I use a float and leave about 6 inches of slack between the rod tip and float. You will see just to the right of the rod tip there are two little silver wings sticking up, the line goes from the rod tip through these wings and then down into the water. When the fish strikes, he swims away until the slack is taken up, that pulls the rod tip free of a small pin, causing the rod tip to snap upward quickly, setting the hook. You need at least a meduim action rod, to accomodate the bend in the end of the rod. I broke the rod tips on two graphite rods while setting them, before I switched to a little softer action tip.
I gotta chubby

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.