Author Topic: Ice updates  (Read 165006 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice updates
« Reply #540 on: Dec 26, 2017, 05:11 PM »
Any updates for Edmonton area lakes?

How about Cold Lake?  Is it froze over yet?

Edmonton area is great ice.  I've heard 14-16 inches on most lakes.

Cold just froze over...mostly.  The guess is some will be walking out in a few days.  Maybe a quad or two towards the end of the week.  Certainly in the bays.

Offline perch_herder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #541 on: Jan 02, 2018, 12:41 PM »
18-20" at Manatokan Lake, solid black ice all the way through

Offline Icenflies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #542 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Any updates on Cold now?

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #543 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Any updates on Cold now?

From AO site:

Friend of mine just came off the lake. 9-10 inches of good ice out from French Bay.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335645

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #544 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:43 PM »
It looks like someone else found 17 inches on French Bay - see same AO post.  I think it is safe to say that both are probably correct so there is a lot of variation in Cold Lake ice depth which should come as no surprise to anyone.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #545 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Anyone been to Sylvan recently? Looking for info at Sunbreaker Cove and hoping there's enough ice for an empty one ton hauling a shack on a utility trailer. Want to get it on the ice this weekend!!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #546 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:30 PM »
Over 2 ft of ice at lac la nonne on Jan 13 .  I had a 1 tone truck and 25 trucks decided to park around me by noon
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #547 on: Jan 14, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Lots of people out on Cold Lake today. Few tents out from the marina a good half mile and a couple vehicles out that far. Looks like quite a few out from government launch quite a ways as well.

Looks like the slaughter is on full bore. Should be a pretty high mortality rate in this cold weather 😐😐
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #548 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Lots of people out on Cold Lake today. Few tents out from the marina a good half mile and a couple vehicles out that far. Looks like quite a few out from government launch quite a ways as well.

Looks like the slaughter is on full bore. Should be a pretty high mortality rate in this cold weather 😐😐

"Game on", as they say. 

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #549 on: Jan 14, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Put my shack out on Pigeon on Saturday, probably around 24" of ice at the point just south of the Mulhurst boat launch. Went back today and there was a new, huge ice heave running east/west, maybe 1/2 km south of the boat launch, starting a couple hundred yards from shore and heading to the middle of the lake.

We caught a couple walleye and saw a few others on the camera, as well as a few pike.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #550 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Put my shack out on Pigeon on Saturday, probably around 24" of ice at the point just south of the Mulhurst boat launch. Went back today and there was a new, huge ice heave running east/west, maybe 1/2 km south of the boat launch, starting a couple hundred yards from shore and heading to the middle of the lake.

We caught a couple walleye and saw a few others on the camera, as well as a few pike.

That heave crosses the entire lake to Grandview.  Showed up before last weekend.  Also a big one out in front of Grandview as well now.  Different heave.  Blocks you from getting anywhere.  This year it is really bad and I think it is lack of snow and huge temp swings. 

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #551 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:30 PM »
That heave crosses the entire lake to Grandview.  Showed up before last weekend.  Also a big one out in front of Grandview as well now.  Different heave.  Blocks you from getting anywhere.  This year it is really bad and I think it is lack of snow and huge temp swings.

Hmmm, I wonder how I could have missed it when I hauled my shack out. I was probably staring at the cabins on shore trying to figure out which one belonged to an old buddy of mine. Good thing I was close to shore and didn't drive into it!!!

Offline AdverseCity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #552 on: Dec 02, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Any ice updates for this year? I just checked the north end of Newell yesterday and it has 6" so I'll be out there later today.

Offline Zip-in-Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #553 on: Dec 02, 2018, 12:11 PM »
Haven't posted much on this site for a while, lets see if this works ...... 

Sylvan Lake - Nov 28th - Sunbreaker boat launch 50 paces out.

Z-z

Offline AdverseCity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #554 on: Dec 02, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Lake Newell at the north end has 5.5" which is enough for my quad and flip over shack.

EDIT: Caught 5 so far with the biggest at 38"

Saw a monster down the hole that watched my jig for a couple minutes, it might've beat my PB at 44"

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #555 on: Dec 02, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Thanks for updates guys, keep em coming.

Nice pike Adverse!  Congrats.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #556 on: Dec 08, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Pigeon North side had 4.5 inches of good ice and 1.5 inches of white ice.  Some small heaves that do not bad, look again.  I've seen a couple that separated by 2 feet and the ice in between was paper thin.  So not really ready for travel though there where idiots with a truck parked near shore and then quaded out.  They were nowhere near me - down the way about .5 km.  If you don't see those splits in the ice, drive quad over, bye bye.    Not exactly a good ice year so far.  I'll probably skidoo it in about 2 weeks.  Looks it should be good for that kind of travel by then.

Offline sns2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #557 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Thanks, Snap.  I'm itching to get out to Pigeon with my new fishfinder:)

Offline koho9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #558 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:08 PM »
Anyone looked at ghost lately?  Is it even frozen over yet?
Boys fish in summer
Real men fish in winter

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #559 on: Dec 17, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Gull Lake at Sandy Point.  9 inches of ice near shore.  Maybe 6 tops out further.  Tons of flood water now that it has been swiss cheesed a bit.   Poorest ice quality I can ever remember for this time of year.  The ice chips out when cut. 

Now with the bad news out of the way.  The temps are going to take a dive starting this weekend.  At least for a few days.

Offline FURBALL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #560 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Anybody been out on Crawling Valley lately? Might head out there Sunday

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #561 on: Dec 25, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Adversecity I like your idea for loading your well-made shack . I think that I might borrow the idea to load my latest ...which is two 4-foot by 8 foot shacks bolted together on the ice to form a 8 by 8 shanty .

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #562 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Sylvan lake has about 13"
Tight lines and big fish

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #563 on: Dec 26, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Cold Lake iced over a couple days ago I would imagine French bay won't be long it will be ready for foot or quad access.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #564 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Cold Lake iced over a couple days ago I would imagine French bay won't be long it will be ready for foot or quad access.

Nice!  Sure a late year.   Good luck when you get out.

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #565 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Nice!  Sure a late year.   Good luck when you get out.

Thx snap.

I actually don't ice fish for lakers, they don't seem to be a particularly strong fish when it comes to releases. I do fish them extensively in the summer with lighter gear and I enjoy them purely as a game fish not a eating fish. But I find they have to be treated very gingerly in order to get a good live release on them and I just don't know if this is happening in the winter through the ice. I go for drives out on the ice now and again after a weekend and by the looks of the blood bath that's on the ice I'm inclined to think it's a slaughter out there at times. I've been chasing them for about 15 years now and have lived out here for 6 and have been on them steady for that period and I've sure noticed a decline in the quality of fish over that period. Still lots there but the quality is gone down hill big time.

But that's just me, many enjoy it, I can tell by all the blood on the ice.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #566 on: Dec 30, 2018, 02:25 PM »
any  Ice updates on McGregor lake?
With the wind and warmer temps this year  , im just not sure what it might be like yet.
-Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline ote.fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #567 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Spent the day on Gull today. People driving on the lake with trucks. Brownlows Landing was well over 14”  a couple hundred yards from shore. Moved to east side off Wilson’s Beach campground and ice was substantially thinner. 8-10” 100 yards form shore. We walked out another 50 yards and there was water on the surface under the snow and only 6-8”.  People were driving on but only closer to shore.  West side by RV Heaven was 8-10 as well. Saw a couple uninterested whites, caught a small perch, and hooked on a couple of jack but that was it for New Year’s Day.
Green statement: No trees were harmed by this post, but billions of electrons were really agitated.

Offline ote.fly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #568 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:03 PM »
Lac La Nonne had 16” of good ice. Didn’t see much but pike today though.
Green statement: No trees were harmed by this post, but billions of electrons were really agitated.

Offline mapleleafman3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • This fog's as thick as peanut butter!
« Reply #569 on: Jan 06, 2019, 02:37 PM »
McGregor was 10 plus on Jan 2 and almost got blown across the lake. Warm and wind don't seem to be affecting the ice thickness. I was at the North end just south of the boat launch.
Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles *bounce*!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.