Author Topic: Sylvan Whitefish Video Tips  (Read 510 times)

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sylvan Whitefish Video Tips
« on: Jan 07, 2024, 08:44 AM »

I don't fish for Whitefish often, so I usually depend on some tips from other online acquaintances when it comes to these critters.

Last year Mike Binns Pointed me to Sylvan lake. JAN 2023 my father in law and I tried without luck. We saw a few swim by without catching any.

Fast forward almost 365 days to December 2023 and it was a whole different story. I parked the vehicle on the ice and walked out to the spot. Started drilling holes and I was in 14 feet of water... so I drilled toward shore to get into 8 feet of water.

I was marking perch and whites in 9 to 10 feet. So I set up the tent. Saw a few whitefish pass without interest. Caught a 9 inch perch and lots of little ones.

The morning produced no whitefish for me. Fortunately, the afternoon brought on a fantastic bite.

I finally started catching fish on a yellow wire worm above a Northland Tackle Rattl'n Flyer Spoon.

I actually hooked 2 on the wire worm and another 7 on the spoon. They like movement, and small jiggles seemed to do the trick.

Keeping the rig a couple feet off the bottom to half way up the column worked well.

The limit is 5 and they are very nice quality whites. We smoked some and made stuffed jellied fish with the rest. The fish was excellent!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sylvan Whitefish Video Tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2024, 10:38 AM »
Great video and thanks for sharing it with us.

Always have enjoyed your video's.

SHOTGUN

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:22 AM »
Great video and thanks for sharing it with us.

Always have enjoyed your video's.

SHOTGUN

Thanks for watching!
THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2024, 07:33 PM »
Good work Brandon / Fishing Dr, you found some nice whites & perch. :)
Nice to see an ice fishing video on not often documented species like whitefish. :tipup:

Did you catch any on the jawjacker or jigging jawjacker? ???

The only whitefish I have found through the ice so-far, have been when the burbot were spawning.
They were in there eating burbot eggs like mad.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.