The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Auger Problem! Interesting!!!!!  (Read 24629 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Strikemaster Auger Problem! Interesting!!!!!
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Long story shortened.
Had a crack in the plastic gas tank on my Strikemaster Mag 2000 auger.
Went to SM and gave them the exact numbers from the engine number plate, TC 300 is the model number.
I ordered and received the new tank, $38.00 and it does not fit. There is a tab on the top portion of the tank that simply is not in the right position and is too short to go over the mounting bolt on the head.
Phone calls to SM and all I get is "that is the correct tank for your unit". Letters to Customer support don't get answered and here I sit with a new tank that has to be forced and broken to make it work.
There is nothing I am doing wrong- The part is wrong or was made wrong and they just won't accknowledge the problem.

Very disappointing from one of the leaders in our sport!!!!!

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: Strikemaster Auger Problem! Interesting!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 01:06 PM »
WOW!  Thanks for the input Gary!  I have the identical problem, with the exact unit!  I was contemplating buying a new unit, but melted the seams together instead.  Didn't realize that little piece of plastic would run 38 bucks!  WOW!  and the hassles your running into? NOT WORTH THE TROUBLES EH! 
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Actually the replacment tank is $25 but then they rape you for another $13.96 in shipping and handeling.
I tried every glue I could find but nothing sticks to that plastic. Didn't try melting it and not too sure I would recommend it.
Glad you got yours working.
I will be able to make this one work but it really is sad you have to rebuild a new part to make it work rather then getting the correct part to begin with.

Gary

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2005, 01:38 PM »
It's probably even more for me!  Shipping to Alaska isn't cheap. :-[  Why wouldn't you weld it back together with a soldering iron?  You honestly didn't think I did it with gas in the tank, did you? :D  "If" you still have the tank, give it a try!  I not only recommend it, but DID IT!  I wouldn't even think of using adhesives to close the gap.  It's almost impossible, unless you use a kit for gas tanks sold at auto supply companies.  Don't know if they make one for plastic tanks?  Anyways, a solder iron works good, and saved me $$$ and hassles by the looks of your ordeal...

Guess this is off topic.  Your ordeal with Strikemaster is ridiculous!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline farmer ted

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2005, 03:14 PM »
Hello, I noticed a new hand auger that is imported from china with the Strikemaster name. It looks to be a mora, but with black paint. I forget the name. I hope they dont discontinue the Mora and Lazer that are made in sweden. Maybe your fuel tanks are imported? Where has the quality gone?

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Actually the replacment tank is $25 but then they rape you for another $13.96 in shipping and handeling.
I tried every glue I could find but nothing sticks to that plastic. Didn't try melting it and not too sure I would recommend it.
Glad you got yours working.
I will be able to make this one work but it really is sad you have to rebuild a new part to make it work rather then getting the correct part to begin with.
Gamolot have you tried epoxys there great. Furthermore ive had my share of the strikemaster (experiance) all i can say is try a jiffy  cost a little more but well worth it.sounder
Gary

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2005, 03:36 PM »
I had the recoil on my strikemaster break last year and i just brought it back and bough a Jiffy. Best thing i ever did, cuts 10x better and much faster.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2005, 04:13 PM »
If I didn't already have two SM Mag 2000s I might have tried the Jiffy.

My tank is not repairable. Took a tumble in the shed and has cracks all thru it and I already tried with three different epoxies. Seems like nothing sticks to this kind of plastic/PVC stuff.
I would have been perfectly satisfied with the price of the new tank and the shipping if I got what I paid for. I don't have a single complaint with the augers otherwise.
I am also willing to bet there is a second style or size tank that will fit but trying to get an employee to do the research and get me the right part is where the problem lies.
Nothing new about this!!!!!

Gary

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:37 AM »
After waiting almost two weeks for a reply from customer service I finally got it.

Here is my original email after getting nowhere with phone calls to CS.

Subject: Need help and some answers!

I thought I was doing the correct thing by buying parts directly from you. My Auger is still not working!

Please help me.

My auger has a crack in the fuel tank and leaks. I purchased a new tank from you, Invoice number 0088501-IN, on 12/14/05.

The tank I received is part number 410284, fuel tank kit for TC-300.

My auger is serial number TC300 3194H (B)

I attempted to install the new tank and it was a very tight fit on the top mounting tab. The new tank is now broke and I am certain it is not the correct tank for my TC 300 auger. The tab needs to be longer by about 1/2".

I want to go fishing but I need to have my auger working first.

Can someone help me with this problem?

Here is the reply:

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your e-mail.  The gas caps have been redesigned and are universal.  Please call and talk to a customer service rep for assistance.  It is easier to help you over the phone than by e-mail.  Our office hours and phone number are below.

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,

StrikeMaster Corp.

Tough finding good help these days I suppose and even tougher finding help who understands the english language!
What a shame!

Gary

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:14 AM »
Cust. Service people seem to figure if they keep passing the buck then maybe either someone else might know what the problem is OR you will just go away  >:( ::)

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Wow, that's really disappointing.  I just bought a new strikemaster this year, and if i had read this before hand, i would've reconsidered my purchase.  These companies should understand how stories like this get around the internet and make them look really bad.  IS ANYONE READING THIS FROM STRIKEMASTER???  There has to be workers at Strikemaster that ice-fish and may visit this site from time to time..HELLOOOOOOOOO???

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:42 AM »
Maybe you should e-mail them the link to this posting and let them see all the advertisement their getting. ;D Maybe it will wake them up a little.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:59 AM »
I haven't had any trouble with the Lazer Mag-Express that Santa just delivered, but you guys are scaring the crap out of me.  I hope you can reach a satisfactory resolution Gamalot.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

PIKEGUY

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:11 PM »
Maybe you should e-mail them the link to this posting and let them see all the advertisement their getting. ;D Maybe it will wake them up a little.

Great Idea!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:14 PM »
Yes, email them back and tell them that you expect complete resolution to your problem.  Tell them that nearly 10,000 members of www.Iceshanty.com are curious about the quality of customer service help that you receive in the matter.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:17 PM »
this shocks me fellas.  I have had no problems with strikemaster.  OF course it helps that they are only 20 miles from my house and I can bring the thing right to them.    Maybe we all should email them and see if a group gets more attention.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:35 PM »
OK guys...Every time there is a problem with a brand X  auger, then brand X is bad or defective. Let me tell you how this works.....The engine TC300 is made by Tecumseh engines....not brand X auger company. Brand X buys engines from Tecumseh or even the hole thing from Ardisam ( The manufacture of many augers and auger gear box's). Ardisam buys engines from Tecumseh.  The reason the tanks don't fit is because Tecumseh has made a change ( improvement) in the tank. There is more numbers on your auger following the TC300 that tells me (and most Tecumseh dealers) which gas tank is for your engine.Brand X is not aware of the difference.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:58 PM »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :wacko: :blink:  Toothyfish, I've seen you post this one twice and both times I'm a little lost!  Speak English man! :D   Sounds like bad business no matter how you look at it?  Do you agree? :blink:
TEAM ALASKA

PIKEGUY

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:50 PM »
There is more numbers on your auger following the TC300 that tells me (and most Tecumseh dealers) which gas tank is for your engine.Brand X is not aware of the difference.

After waiting almost two weeks for a reply from customer service I finally got it.

Here is my original email after getting nowhere with phone calls to CS.

Subject: Need help and some answers!

I thought I was doing the correct thing by buying parts directly from you. My Auger is still not working!

Please help me.

My auger has a crack in the fuel tank and leaks. I purchased a new tank from you, Invoice number 0088501-IN, on 12/14/05.

The tank I received is part number 410284, fuel tank kit for TC-300.

My auger is serial number TC300 3194H (B)

Looks like he did give them all the info

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I looked this engine number up...There are 5 possible tanks. The 3194H took me to #410284 fuel tank / clear 20oz. w/blue choke. This is a tecumseh part number...list price is $27.88. You should be able to go to any Tecumseh / lawn mower shop and order this. If you think it is a wty. issue then ask for wty. If I had a customer with a cracked tank that had no customer damage to it I would try and Wty. the tank. So the tank they sent you looks to be the correct tank.  I can not speak for strikemaster but can speak for Tecumseh since I am a dealer for them. Tecumseh will not Wty. a part unless it is installed by an authorized Tecumseh dealer.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2005, 04:07 PM »
:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :wacko: :blink:  Toothyfish, I've seen you post this one twice and both times I'm a little lost!  Speak English man! :D   Sounds like bad business no matter how you look at it?  Do you agree? :blink:
Wow! I thought I was using the same English spoken in all the world. Maybe it was the long sentence's that lost you. :woot:

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Thank you Toothfish, I do appreciate your time and effort here.

I still do have a problem as pictured below.

On the phone SM says I have the correct tank! Your records indicate I have the correct tank! This picture should tell all that the tank does not fit and is not the correct tank.
Please note where the hole in the tank is in relation to the stud on the engine that it is supposed to mount to. The tank is firm against the engine housing but the tab is simply not long enough. Streatching it to make it go over the stud caused it to break.
I can't get thru to SM that the tank is not correct. Your records also say this is the right tank but this picture sure ought to show my dilema.

Thanks
Gary

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:59 PM »
I don't know if SM read it here or was tipped off or are just responding to my gripeing but CS left me a message and number to call in the morning.

Might get some help after all.

Will report back after I speak with them.

Thing that bothers me most is I love the auger and just want it to work again.

Gary

Offline Furdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Soon Everyday will be a Saturday :)
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:12 PM »
How old is your auger????

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:30 PM »
3 years, maybe 4!

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:40 AM »
Gamalot if your only problem is what is pictured I would recommend going to the hardware store and buying a fender washer and installing that between the nut and the tank tab.  I would agree with you that you shouldn't have to go through the pain but I'd just finish installing it and send them a letter.  Telling them that when the auger needs replacing that it won't be with another SM and you will encourage your friends to do the same.  That usually gets some response.  Just make sure you are polite about it.

chris
Cheese Head

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:08 AM »
Gamalot, I see your problem....I have never seen THAT before!!. There is an alignment problem for sure! A fender washer would work ...but I know and you know it's not right!!!!!   If I had the auger in the shop I could make a better assessment of the problem. Looks as though the tank is fitting the blower housing correctly....Nothing bent... ??? It is always possible the tank is made wrong but if it is they will have 100's of them and will know they have a problem. I am talking about Tecumseh..the manufacture of the engine. If you get nowhere ..e-mail me with serial number on engine (we have the model and type #) and I will talk directly to Tecumseh and see if they are having a tank problem.
PS: Was the "ear" on the new tank the same length as the "ear" on the old tank?

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:08 AM »
I had a problem with the throttle cable on my Lazer Mag.  When I called customer service they didn't have a clue what I could do to fix it.  I called back, asked for technical support.  The nice young man I talked to walked me through several possible solutions.  He was correct.  Maybe talking to a "technical" person would help you getting the correct part number.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:41 AM »
Info update!!!
Just got off the phone with both Strike Master and Tecumseh.

Apparently there is a problem with the top tab not fitting correctly!

Sometimes it breaks as mine did and other times it streaches but at no time is it right!
Tecumseh is working to figure out a fix and I should have an answer in a week or two.
No glue will stick to this type of plastic so forget that idea!
If you do purchase one of these incorrect tanks, put the tab over the top mount first and then force the tank on to the carb studs. This should help in the streatching and keep the tab from breaking.
If you can wait, then I would until Tecumseh gets it figured out and makes new tanks.
I did use a fender washer to secure the top tab and it will work for a while but it is nowhere near as solid as it should be and will not last long.

OH YEA, This is purely a Tecumseh problem so those who feel I was slamming SM and those who think I should junk this auger and go for a jiffy should probably take a look at who made the engine on your auger!!!!!!!
I think they will come up with a replacment tank that will fit and that this is an isolated problem most likely caused by the vendor of the plastic tanks.

Hope this helps and thanks again Toothfish and all who followed and offered solutions.

Gary

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:14 AM »
Great!!!  :clap:  Gary ...you got to the bottom of it.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.