Author Topic: Chubby darters  (Read 5019 times)

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
Chubby darters
« on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:33 AM »
Watched there promo and was impressed by the falling action of this bait. I can see it should work on eyes but even the smallest one seemed too big for perch. The showed them catching jumbos on em but how about med. perch? seems too big. Any input?
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Chubby darters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2007, 07:36 AM »
The #3 size I think, the newest size, will catch those med. sized gills and perch.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I caught about a 7 1/2" gill on my first day out, last time I caught about a 10" perch. I also lost about a 16" walleye at the hole about 2 minutes earlier, he didn't even show up on the MarCum and came flyin in and pounded it. I've had pretty good luck on crappies with them as well.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2007, 01:33 PM »
If Medium sized gills and 10" perch can eat em maybe the size 3 is smaller than it looked in their promo.Like i said the action on the fall looks deadly and might try em soon as i find em.    Thaks Guys
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:34 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKOGauyYh4

Just posting the video if anyone wants to see what was referenced.  Looks interesting.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2007, 09:36 PM »
i started this same thread like 3 days a go... ton of cool stuff on it u should check it out just scroll threw the pages. a guy put up pictures of all his fish and stuff. just an fyi
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:30 PM »
i wen't out and bought some and watched 'em under the aqua vue pointed down and that video doesnt do it justice. Can't find any #3's but jigged a hot perch #4. missed 2 but man are they sexy on the fall. 
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:38 PM »
I have been looking for the #3's also.  Still haven't found any at the local shops.  I will be buying some when I find them though.
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2007, 11:42 PM »
Bought a few of the #3's from sportsmans warehouse.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2007, 12:39 AM »
I've got 13 of 'em comin' from Salmo. They were $124.45 for mostly #3s and a few large ones. The Biggest one they want $25. for and I can't quite justify that, yet. I want to see how well they work on the fish I got 'em for.

It seems rather an exagerated price but if they work what the hay. If I don't have to carry a bait bucket around they may be worth it. We'll see.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2007, 04:24 PM »
idk i just cant see paying 25 bucks for something that u have to use on light line. theres no gurantee that its gunna stay on the line
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline nontypical

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2007, 05:06 PM »
I've got 13 of 'em comin' from Salmo. They were $124.45 for mostly #3s and a few large ones. The Biggest one they want $25. for and I can't quite justify that, yet. I want to see how well they work on the fish I got 'em for.

It seems rather an exagerated price but if they work what the hay. If I don't have to carry a bait bucket around they may be worth it. We'll see.
wow that seems kind of high.i bought some about a week ago no.3s and 4s and they were 6.99 a piece which i thought was pretty high.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 12:37 AM »
wow that seems kind of high.i bought some about a week ago no.3s and 4s and they were 6.99 a piece which i thought was pretty high.
Yea...I wouldn't mind picking up a few to try, but that price is pretty salty. Especially if there's a possibility they will get "chomped off" by some toothy critter  >:(  >:( ...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline rchaze60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they are down there.... they will come up
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:19 AM »
I picked up few to try this yeargot em on sale at Fleet Farm here in Minnesota so I will post on how they do here cant wait to try them

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I was hitting the perch with minnows pretty good and I decided I would use the chubby darter so I would not have to rebait as often.   Well I didn't have it down the hole more than 10 seconds and BAM I was getting pulled under. 
I knew by hit it was a pike or a walleye, but what I didn't hear was my drag going out.  My drag was not set and I struggled to adjust and release the bail but within 10 seconds I was snapped off.  I was not upset about loosing  a $7  lure, but the wonder of what took it.  I have heard about the 10+lb fish caught on 4lb line but I have yet to experience it.
I still had money on my Gander card and so I reluctantly bought another one.  So we will see..... 

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:07 PM »
idk i just cant see paying 25 bucks for something that u have to use on light line. theres no gurantee that its gunna stay on the line

It is the 5.5 inch model, meant for larger fish...dont have to use light line, works excellent for pike  ;)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Scheels here had them for $5.99 each on sale about a month ago

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2008, 05:18 PM »
I purchased some Chubby Darters 2 weeks ago.  First trip out with them, one bass, one walleye and one perch in the first 15 minutes.  I'm hooked.  I will be buying more. 

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2008, 08:31 PM »
we did very good w the chubby darters catching perch on them this weekend, I want to order 1-2 of the GIANT hubby darter for some toothy critters.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.