Author Topic: Chubby darter review.  (Read 4885 times)

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Chubby darter review.
« on: Dec 11, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Tried out my new chubbies today.. Got on the ice 1/2 hour before light. rigged up two poles one with northland hot glow perch rattlespoon. other poles with 1 1/3 luminesent orange darter.. drop buckshot in the hole to the bottom go to real her up a few inches snag up on the bottom. drop the chubbie in a different hole 10inch crappie latches on before it hits the bottom. Started slamm'n the crappies for a while.then i see my marcum show some red light up near the bottom. give my chubbie a little twitch and bam!!!! Set the hook fish strips line for about a second and nothing. Freak'n northern cut me clean..Just so happen i have a spare luminesent darter..Two maore crappies and you guessed it.Another good fish cuts me clean. I hate pike!!!!!  Love those new little chubbies though..Now I just have to find some more

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Chuby darter review.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:15 AM »
Thanks for the review rr. Haven't really tried mine yet. Just bought a couple last year but never made it out was tooo late in the season. Sorry to hear about the bite-offs. Sounds like you might want to try a couple of the bigger ones  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline johndeere

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2007, 07:47 AM »
I tried the chubby darters last year and didnt have a bit the whole ice fishing season but this year I bought the new smaller size and just had to give them a second chance. Caught my first walleye on one. It was a great feeling. I didnt have it tipped with a minnow head or anything, just plain. Then I tried it with a minnow head on the first treble hook and caught another walleye. I also had a few perch nibble on it but they werent big enough to get the hooks in there mouth. I was watching them on the aqua view. Im now impressed with the chubby darter.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2007, 10:54 AM »
Saturday night while fishing in an ADK lake just into dark, Jighead had tied on a Chubby for the first time. He yelled over about 10 minutes into using it and said " I have a heavy fish on the Chubby". He pulled out about a 20" walleye on it. Now he is hooked on it. I have been using them for 3 years now and have had a good amount of success catching walleyes on them. I give them the 2 thumbs up :thumbsup:

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I"ll be targeting walleye tomm. hope to do some serious lip ripp'n

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:07 PM »
I'll be honest, I didn't catch all the perch on it but did catch a few.  Also got my PB LMB on it last week.  Same lure too.

Offline infamous

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 10:29 PM »
so the chubbies prevail after all!

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:07 PM »
You guys are killing me! I decided to boycott the darter because of the price..But now... ::)
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:19 AM »
do they work well just as an artificial bait or do you need to tip them with something?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:26 AM »
I had not bad success with them one day last season for pike on the hot perch color.
That day I was fishing them with out any bait just fairly aggressive jigging.

I picked up a  glowing orange chubby darter a few weeks ago, hopefully it will be a success to.

I wouldn't mind trying the smallest one and the giant chubby darter. ;)

WW

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chubby darter review.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:02 AM »

I wouldn't mind trying the smallest one and the giant chubby darter. ;)

WW

You mean like these #3's?  ;D   A group of us ordered these over a month ago. Can't wait to try the new size out.

Ken                                          

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:11 AM »
You mean like these #3's?  ;D   A group of us ordered these over a month ago. Can't wait to try the new size out.

(Image removed from quote.)

That would be nice under the tree on Christmas morning!!!! Send some my way santa bean!

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:21 AM »
I was able to look at a couple of prototype #2's last weekend. They looked really good also but the rep said it needed something other than a split ring to attach to the line in order to gain the same action as the others.

dc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.