Author Topic: CJS Slender Spoons  (Read 6297 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
CJS Slender Spoons
« on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:53 PM »
About to make a purchase from Custom jigs here a few hours.  Looking at the slender spoons interested in trying them out.   I will mostly be targeting crappie bass and bluegill/sunfish and a hopeful walleye.  Anyways I am looking into getting the 1/16th oz model but need help with color choices.  I plan on getting the silver with red, but would like another suggestion for a different color. 

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: CJS Slender Spoons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:00 PM »
I have done well with the red, and silver, and the charteuse and silver.  However, my favorite is the charteuse and gold.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:59 AM »
Silver with red and gold with green are my favs but I have done well with about every color.  I even powder coated a few on one side with glow red, green, yellow and blue.
]

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:13 AM »
i have do very well with the gold / glow  silver / glow , but as of late ive been adding a red stick on eye [ very small]  try adding plastic to them too .
wicked spoons!

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Plus one for all the colors said.   I haven't used the new colors yet but bet they'd be good.  I have used the black and purple one and the other black one (can't remember the 2nd color) with no luck.

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:02 AM »
If you haven't purchasd yet you should pick up a couple of the 1/8 size. 

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I tend to like chartreuse with gold, or just about any color with gold or copper in stained water. In clear water I usually prefer silver combos. Also, I like to replace the the trebles with a short chain and a super sharp (think Gami or Owner) hook.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I absolutely love the slender spoons, I started using them last year and they doubled and tripled what I caught. I have the best luck with the gold, any colors. I bought a couple of the gold with the glow for this year.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I've fished them a bit, and caught a few fish on them. Silver and holographic was the best one for me. They did not do anywhere close to as good as the smallest size demon jigging spoon. Crappies and bluegills LOVE that thing! Clown color.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I would steer clear of the 1/16 model if I was you unless you are fishing very shallow water. Go with 1/8 oz they fall very slowly and its a pain fishing that 1/16 oz in water deeper than 10ft. That's my opinion. I just use gold and silver both with green stickers. The 1/16 are nice for pannies. But I have em hit the 1/8 also no problems.

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:26 AM »
My favorite is Gold and Glow. Next would be Gold and Chartreuse and this year I'm trying Gold and Red. I have a Silver and Blue, but I'm not sure why. I believe it is the action and flash that attracts them in. One of my favorite lures. 1/16 oz., but then again I fish shallow water predominantly.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:32 PM »
I just bought a couple to try out.  I got the gold with glow sticker.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I always use the Slender spoons on ice. Gold and green is my favorite.
<===Lefty===

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I don't know what it is about it, but the 1/16oz slender spoon is magic for mid-day crappies, especially big ones.  I like the silver/chartreuse color.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Finally scratched the ice itch today and was able to get out on a sketchy 2" of ice.  Anyways Used the 1/16 oz silver and red slender spoon tipped with some waxies and was able to land this beauty. Do you guys use them with or without live bait?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:07 PM »
Nice bass. I use Meal worms or a Piece of Shrimp.
<===Lefty===

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Do you guys use them with or without live bait?

I use minnow heads.

Offline gaspumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:37 PM »
They are very similar to jack spoons.Work good on perch on Lake Simcoe.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:42 AM »
i tip it with a minnow head for evening work, maggots for mid day use.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I really like the colors offered on the CJS slender spoons in the pro series so last winter I picked up one in pink tiger.

I though that color would show up well in our murky waters. It did and I had some luck on it for pike and burbot, unfortunately I had a burbot break me off. :P.

I will have to see what colors are in stock in the pro series next time I purchase one or two, but I like look of the , the gold /electric perch, gold / firetiger, nickle / pink tiger and the new gold / fruity vegetables. 
The regular slender spoon in gold / glow looks like a good color option also. :)

WW

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Just picked up 11 1/8 in most colors...  Cant wait to try them out.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I got myself 4 in the largest size and the lake trout hammer them. Also caught a surprise steelhead. They have great action to them. I picked up a few in November for crappies and cant wait to try them.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2014, 10:48 PM »

These guys use slender spoons a lot! If you watch videos for what you are targeting, they will definitely have some good suggestions. I have yet to use them, but I will be ordering some soon!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I saw that you want to target some lakers this year. I would get some of the big slender spoons. I've had quite a few lakers slam them this year. Also caught a bonus steelhead on 1.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:14 PM »

These guys use slender spoons a lot! If you watch videos for what you are targeting, they will definitely have some good suggestions. I have yet to use them, but I will be ordering some soon!

Not anymore. They are now sponsored by VMC and use their spoons on ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Not anymore. They are now sponsored by VMC and use their spoons on ice.
[/quot

Kev   You don't miss anything do ya?

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:46 PM »
InDepth Outdoors switching to VMC was, no doubt, a financial decision. Does not affect the tremendous fish catching abilities of the Slender Spoon. And its made in Iowa.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Nah, I miss a lot.. but I like to watch that show so I noticed it pretty easily last year. After 2 or 3 episodes of VMC this and VMC that I went to the show's forum and noticed VMC banners everywhere. Notice how they never mention CJ&S anymore? Always tingler this and rattle spoon that, then pug bug and that mustache worm from TriggerX . Used to talk about nothing but the slender spoon and CJ&S plastics. So did the fish in MN stop biting CJ&S lures or did VMC and Trigger-x offer more money?  ;)

Seems to be as follows, from my observations...
Jigs and Jig heads- VMC
Ice plastics- Trigger-X
Ice spoons- VMC
Open water plastics- BfishN (CJ&S)
Open water jig heads- ??? (not mentioned anymore, looks to be a mix of both VMC and BfishN)
Open water lures- Rapala
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Don't forget to try the CJ&S demon jigging spoon as well. Slender has caught quite a few fish for me this year already but the demon out fishes it 20:1 when its on my rod. Some days they just inhale the slender, but a lot of days they will inhale the demon when they won't even look at a slender. Better have both. Plus the "last years demon jigging spoon" in the specials section of CJ&S website is a heck of a bargain, that is all I use. $1.50 for a spoon, can't beat that! CLOWN color with 3-5 maggots on it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Don't forget to try the CJ&S demon jigging spoon as well. Slender has caught quite a few fish for me this year already but the demon out fishes it 20:1 when its on my rod. Some days they just inhale the slender, but a lot of days they will inhale the demon when they won't even look at a slender. Better have both. Plus the "last years demon jigging spoon" in the specials section of CJ&S website is a heck of a bargain, that is all I use. $1.50 for a spoon, can't beat that! CLOWN color with 3-5 maggots on it.
I have the Demon Spoons as well. I just bought some spoons off e-bay that are just like the Demon Spoons but larger. Great paint on them and can't wait to try them out. I like the Glow Chartreuse.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.