Author Topic: Clam Nitinol spring bobbers -Absolute garbage(pics)  (Read 22256 times)

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
Re: Clam Nitinol spring bobbers -Absolute garbage(pics)
« Reply #90 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:33 PM »
I didnt put them on they are built right into the rod. These i bought are the combos. Im thinking you have never seen them have you  ;)
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »
.....but then it would bend up, no?

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:54 AM »
No it dont bend up... scroll up and look at the picture. Same on my combos they bend down way past the rod tip with no weight on them at all.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Dec 24, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Although there is a problem with some of these I jumped to the wrong conclusions about Clam, they went above and beyond to get in contact with me about this situation. I have no doubt a lot of time and testing went into designing these and they are serious about getting to the bottom of things and fixing what needs to be fixed. I should have contacted clam initially. Unfortunately this thread turned into some good old Clam bashing and that took away from a level discussion. I was too quick to start throwing rocks.

Seems likely they may have just received some nitinol shipments that did not meet the same specifications they ordered. Either way, if anyone happens to come into possession of some bum product, just contact customer service. It may help them identify the breadth of the defect and you'll get taken care of in the process. Ironically, although the bobbers I purchased were defective, Clam still gained a customer. I can't speak of the clam of the last few years but I can tell you this, the guys in place right now are serious about getting things right the first time and promptly taking care of any problems that do pop up down the line.

I've gone back and edited out the harshness of my prior comments in an attempt to keep things more in line with what this thread should be about. I wish I could edit the title, but when this thread got merged with the other it made it impossible for me to do so. "Clam nitinol spring bobber problems" would be much better if a mod would be inclined to do so.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 25, 2013, 01:50 AM »
Welcome back walkndude! Glad things worked out for you and that you were able to rectify the problems that you had with Clam Corp. Also very glad Clam Corp is taking this quality control problem seriously, for years they were the "go to, #1" name brand product and they need to get back there.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Dec 25, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Even though i have this issue with the three i bought it will not stop me from buying more clam products. I love all my products from clam. This is just a glitch in The system so to speak. Clam contacted me once saying they are testing the materials used in the bobbers it might have got mixed up somewhere. But i know they will make this right. Problem is i dont have my receipts anymore and i hope that dont cause an issue but im sure it wont as these are brand new.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Well sadly I have trown more clam products away that just didnt hold up, out of the many many products I have bought branded by Clam the only things I can say are holding up are my rod slicks and rod locker... Keneai a big dissapointment, 3 pairs of gloves that were worthless, light fan combo was a joke, fly box that falls apart, so I pretty much walk by the Clam products anymore, wasted money on them and took more than enough chances with them and most of the time the product fails me....Whats sad is that they flood the market with their gear and in many shops thats the only options so thats what many buy....

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:26 PM »
actually showed a guy in line at gander mountain with the 2 pack in his hands this thread.  he went and put them back and got the frabills. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #98 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:11 AM »
my nintinol bobbers are junk too.start bending down after about a hour in the cold and stay that way till warmed back up.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:18 PM »
my nintinol bobbers are junk too.start bending down after about a hour in the cold and stay that way till warmed back up.

Same as mine and good luck with them!!! Im not sure what else to do other than cut it off and just have the rod. But if thats the case i woulda bought 13wickeds!!!! Not a happy fisherman right now and i got three of the rods with the nitinol bobbers.

Offline Carl.j.o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:27 PM »
IMO I love the old school style you know the flat spring steel like the used to put on the schooly  rods it had a big eye on it and did its job rarely ever broke one. Maybe its time to take a step back from all the new stuff
FLAG!!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 14, 2014, 11:11 PM »
i tried a spring bobber this year (one that i made from the springs in cd and dvd drives), and it worked well for telegraphing light bites from perch, but as soon as a big trout rushed in and grabbed my bait it just caused problems.

mostly, i'm sticking to ultra-sensitive rods; but i'm trying out floats as well for my dead rods. so far, it's worked better for me than just letting the fish bob the pole itself, so that's a win.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #102 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:45 PM »
So are all nitinol springs clam makes nunk for cold weather then or were other lots of the spring fine?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Sep 05, 2014, 09:28 PM »
So are all nitinol springs clam makes nunk for cold weather then or were other lots of the spring fine?

there was one bad batch where the metal composition was not right. it was identified and the remaining stock of bad ones was destroyed at the warehouse. the ones for this year should be fine.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Sep 05, 2014, 11:42 PM »
I must have had part of the bad batch.  Works good in a heated house but is worthless outside, even when it was above freezing last year.  Wish they were better because I really liken the idea.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.