Author Topic: Clam Nitinol spring bobbers -Absolute garbage(pics)  (Read 22254 times)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam Nitinol spring bobbers -Absolute garbage(pics)
« on: Nov 25, 2013, 03:32 PM »
i purchased an ultra lite combo and want to add a spring bobber. what would be a good choice? mostly fish for panfish and trout in shallow water.i spooled it up with 4lb test line.

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Nitinol spring bobbers -Absolute garbage(pics)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I'm not a big fan of spring bobbers but all I can say is to not get the type that look like a spring from a pen that you shove in to the tip top of the rod, they freeze up almost instantly in cold weather once they're wet. The kind that clips on to the end of the rod and has only one hole is a little bit better. St. Croix has the best spring bobbers but I would guess that's not what you have on account of the fact that most of them include one built in.

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Frabill Tungsten

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:05 AM »
If I'm in a shack, I like the little springs from Frabill. Otherwise, the regular old schooley style spring is hard to beat, IMO.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline dugan01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Ok  I am a jigger. I use two poles. One I have no bobber on and have had it for 5 years.  Then every year I buy a new pole with a nice bobber on it for 60.00. Then break it! Every year. . I  don't like the spring bobber because it never fails.. When the school comes through my line will get hung up in the spring... Makes me wanna jump!!! So I'm looking for a bobber that will stay the heck!  Out of the way.... Any suggestions for me?? And thank you!

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:32 PM »
The St Croix spring bobbers rarely have issues with line.

Try fishing a Tuned Up Custom Precision noodle rod and do away with the spring bobber. The tip is extremely light and takes the place of a spring. The rest of the blank has plenty of backbone to drive the hook home and handle a big bass or pike if needed.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Have you tried the strike indicators that they use on the ice n easy rods. Used them for years and love them. Especially for a dead stick. No spring on them to get jacked up in you line. Check them out with a google search

Offline dugan01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:41 PM »
I loved that St Croix stick. I bought it at fleet farm and the bobber was awesome!.... But! I broke the tip off!  So my next question would be to replace the whole mount for the bobber....... Do they sell that mount so it could be tied to any pole?? Because that was a great setup

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:53 PM »
been only using the doug smiths got-cha wire bobbers 2$. comes in 5 colors. just wrap them on with sewing thread and some finger nail polish like florescent orange
he lives in mattawan michigan

picked up 2 frabil titanium wires this season to have more adjustment

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:02 AM »
to use the St. Croix spring on other rods you have to get either a size 8 spinning rod and get a 1/8th inch rubber grommet from Lowes or home depot or a place like that. the grommet fits into the guide and the small hole in the grommet holds the spring well. I have never had ANY problem with the spring bobber and absolutely LOVE it!! The adjustable feature makes in VERY sensitive. I'm hoping to try it out on St. Croix's premier rod this weekend.
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline pimplejigger84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:33 AM »
For the past four or five years I have exclusively used the HT Marmooska spring bobbers and I like them a lot. They are cheap, easy to install and work really well. They are fully adjustable to the weight of your jig and to how limber you want it to to be while jigging. The only negatives I have with them  are that they are somewhat hard to find, but they can be ordered online. Also, the ends can break if they are bent, but if you are careful they should last. I usually get at least a couple seasons of of one. But again, they are cheap and easily replaceable.

Here is a link to the product from one of our sponsors, Fish USA:

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/HT-Enterprises-Marmooska-Spring-Bobbers

Offline dugan01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Thank you all..... Keep the ideas coming. A guy can always lern, something!

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Always have a spring bobber on, may not need it but it's always available. Prefer the sliding types where it can be fine tuned to the baits weight or pulled in to act as the rods tip. Been using the ones from www.yourbobbersdown.co m for a long time, no problems. Catch alot of flak on this but I do cut the rod tips off down to the first eye. Leaving just enough rod in front of it to epoxy them in front. Shortens the overall rod for using in the Scout but works on the 4' walking around ones as well. Never had any problem with this and it fits my approach/technique very well

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Been using the ones from www.yoursbobbersdown.c om for a long time, no problems.

typo
www.yourbobbersdown.co m

which one do you use light action i'd guess?
i use every thing else from there, might as well check those out too. thanks

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:47 AM »
no spring bobber here...i use one with my dead stick...but for jigging i use a tiny tipped jig pole...then add a bobberstop(the little string ones)...i adjust the string to the top of the water in my hole...so in essence...my string is my bobber...works for me. ;D
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:53 AM »
typo
www.yourbobbersdown.co m

i use every thing else from there, might as well check those out too. thanks
Have the Pink and Green on my rods, the lighter weight ones seem to be more aimed at some of the ultra ultra light presentations they do in Europe, aka a spike on a #18 dry fly hook in shallow water going after total poundage of dink Perch. Bigger ones handle Wolframs well

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:09 AM »
the frabill titanium spring bobber or the clam nitinol spring bobber are good clip on bobbers.or the st Croix bobbers are great too.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:11 AM »
For the past four or five years I have exclusively used the HT Marmooska spring bobbers and I like them a lot. They are cheap, easy to install and work really well. They are fully adjustable to the weight of your jig and to how limber you want it to to be while jigging. The only negatives I have with them  are that they are somewhat hard to find, but they can be ordered online. Also, the ends can break if they are bent, but if you are careful they should last. I usually get at least a couple seasons of of one. But again, they are cheap and easily replaceable.

Here is a link to the product from one of our sponsors, Fish USA:

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/HT-Enterprises-Marmooska-Spring-Bobbers

so do you hang this over the end or rig it like a schooly where the bobber is top side so when the wire comes down, it touches the end guide?

i put in 10 orders already with them so why not try some thing new while shipping is free and no tax
i have always had the wire over the end of the rod, but the way schooly rig makes them work, sounds better
i ordered 3 of those at only 8 bucks a pop. reel,rod and strike indicator. the pros are using them, so must be some thing to them.

thanks

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:27 PM »
been only using the doug smiths got-cha wire bobbers 2$. comes in 5 colors. just wrap them on with sewing thread and some finger nail polish like florescent orange
he lives in mattawan michigan

picked up 2 frabil titanium wires this season to have more adjustment

Can you go buy them right from him or at a store?

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:04 AM »
Picked up a two pack from FishUsa. Tried them inside jigging the good ole 5 gal bucket while waiting for good ice and was very impressed. Got the chance to try them out yesterday and unfortunately nitinol stands up to it's name sake as "memory metal" out in the cold, they retained 100 percent of it. Couldn't even use a #16 diamond jig without it flopping over and staying locked in that bend. They straighten back out when warmed up inside.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Some pics:

In the freezer

back out

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Typical, pass on by anything branded Clam....

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Well for us we're sold on the Action Bite Indicator.  Been using them for over 5 years now once I stumbled on them all other indicators went in the garbage.  If you're interested here's a link to their site.  Made in the good ole USA.  Oh and the ones you may see at Bass Pro shops are a copy of these and made in China.

http://actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Thanks for heads up.....was thinking of trying out. Guess I'll have to keep using 2 pack frabills

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:12 PM »
used the frabill titanium last year, best add-on spring bober I've used and its easily adjustable for the weight of the jig your using.

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:15 PM »
Never had a reason to feel one way or another about the company, but how do you screw up a simple thing like a spring bobber so completely. I realize it's only 9 dollars, but it burns me up a bit for the simple fact they are just shamelessly rooking people with this product.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Well for us we're sold on the Action Bite Indicator.  Been using them for over 5 years now once I stumbled on them all other indicators went in the garbage.  If you're interested here's a link to their site.  Made in the good ole USA.  Oh and the ones you may see at Bass Pro shops are a copy of these and made in China.

http://actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html

mine kept breaking at wire to mount.they won't take much bending there. i had to put sharp bends to hold different weight jigs to keep the wire straight

Typical, pass on by anything branded Clam....

X2

i'm trying frabil titaniums and like it so far (12 bucks retail).
also the yourbobbersdown wires, but they are not titanium

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:42 PM »
Those Clam bobbers look like junk. I bought the Frabill spring bobber last year and its the best. Expensive but really nice.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.