Author Topic: Changing hooks on #2 Shiver Minnows  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
Changing hooks on #2 Shiver Minnows
« on: Mar 12, 2012, 11:32 AM »
Has anyone tried to up-size the hooks on #2 Moonshine Shiver Minnows?  I would like to step up to a #6 hook, but I'm not sure if it would effect the action or come up and hook the line above the lure.

Currently, they have #8 VMC 9608BN hooks on them.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re: Changing hooks on #2 Shiver Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:14 PM »
It wont effect the action but chance are you will hook the line a lot once you add a split ring to hang the hook. Try looking for short shank crank bait hooks. It might help. One question why do want to put bigger hook on them? I build these same design lures and like the number 8 for all fish. Never had a problem with them straightning on big fish and never missed fish due to size of hook either.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2012, 09:47 AM »
#1.  They use a split shank hook, so an o-ring is not needed.

#2.  I get quite a bit of missed walleye with the #8.  Especially on the Size 3 Shiver which also uses a #8 hook.  I upsize all of my hooks on Jigging Raps and sometimes even add a Fastach clip to get the hook further from the body of the lure to increase hook up percentage.  When you upsize a large Ice Darter, Puppet Minnow or #7-#9 Jigging Rap to a big Daiichi #6 treble, there's no hang up around the line.  Not sure about a Shiver though.  Most guys ice fishing the Great Lakes upsize their hooks.  I probably wouldn't if I was fishing inland lakes in MI, since the fish are usually smaller; I'd just use the Fastach.

Just trying to figure out if I should order the split shank hooks or not.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:16 PM »
cold_feet,

What lures do you make?  Got a website?  I may be interested....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.