Author Topic: Best line for jigging outside (0 deg F) in 30+ ft  (Read 977 times)

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best line for jigging outside (0 deg F) in 30+ ft
« on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:49 PM »
What do those of you who fish outside, in about 0 deg F, deeper than 30 ft use for line? I tried 10lb fireline crystal last year and it iced up so bad it made a huge mess when trying to reel fish in. I have had decent luck with 6# gamma copolymer ice, however, in 30+ ft there isn't much hook-setting power. I'm going to put 6# fireline on one spool with about a 18" 10# seaguar abrazx ice leader and give that a try... hopefully it doesn't ice up as bad as the 10# fireline. Any tips?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Re: Best line for jigging outside (0 deg F) in 30+ ft
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:10 PM »
what species are you jigging for ?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Two to four pound Fireline Crystal is my choice.  It's far easier to strip ice off the line.  The two pound is so thin, the water freezes so fast that it just frosts off the line.  Ten pound Fireline is too thick and has major headaches.  I don't put too much time on that outdoors.  I've used six pound Fireline outdoors before but it was most just for deadsticking.

It's also important that you should pinch the line to melt or wipe off excess water before it touches other metal component of the reels.  I hate seeing my line roller all iced up.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:02 AM »
jigging for walleyes...

when I was using the 10lb fireline the roller freezing up was more of a problem than the line freezing if I remember right... It would freeze to the reel and I'ld have to hand over hand the line to get the fish in.

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:44 PM »
fireline crystal

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I personally dislike fireline for any cold fishing. I have not tried the crystal, nor will I, but last year I used line that was supposedly for ice fishing made by fireline and it iced and coiled right off of my reels. Big waste for my style of fishing. I use a high quality mono now stren ice, is what I use   ( may not be the real name) but it is stren and says ice somewhere on the box. I have had very few problems with it.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Fireline Crystal works for me.

It seems to be softer than the regular fireline anyway.

Wiener

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Sounds like I will have to give the fireline crystal another shot... hopefully the 6# works for me. Has anyone tried fluorocarbon? I use fluorocarbon for leaders but I haven't used it to fill any spools... doesn't have as much stretch as regular mono so I would think hook-setting power would be better. Also, it sheds water pretty well so it doesn't freeze up... thanks for the replies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.