Author Topic: Chubby Darters are producing for me so far  (Read 946 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Chubby Darters are producing for me so far
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:01 PM »
With only the 4th trip onto the ice, chubbies have brought up perch, crappie, walleye and trout - all on a #3 dace. Have also picked up perch and crappie on the #3 perch glo, reg perch and a #4 red glo caught some eye's as well.

All I used tonight were the chubbies and did pick off the more active fish. Lot of marks were coming up and inspecting and on the way home it dawned on me I never stepped down to a lesser aggressive presentation with a forage minnow or rattle spoon. Probably would have picked off a number of the lesser active fish. For now I'm enjoying using the darters and plan on picking up some more variety of colors and sizes.

Will pick up some more Lindy darters too. Bought my chubbies on sale at cabelas earlier in the year and there were only a few blue lindy's, they didn't do much for me tonight but I gave them a good try!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Chubby Darters are producing for me so far
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Sounds like a hot Chubby Darter bite going on.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:29 AM »
Have another rod rigged with a less aggressive presentation ready to go.

If you bring them in, that's half the battle.

I usually use a dead stick with a minnow in a hole 3-4 feet away from where I am jigging.

If I have my portable set up,  I have a rattle reel that clamps on to the poles of the shack.

Here's a nice splake that hit my rattle reel set up last winter.

Wiener

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Plan on doing so. I;m not a live bait guy any longer though with the advent of plastics and Berkely type products. May have to rig up a rod with a Gulp minnow and see how that works out. Minnows and the minnow laws are designed by a corrupt govt in Wyoming!  Let alone the pricing of a dozen. ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I have had good luck with #3 chubby on walleye and perch last year.  will try for some trout this season.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.