Author Topic: Changing treble to single hook???  (Read 2409 times)

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
Changing treble to single hook???
« on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:01 AM »

Does anyone change the treble to a single hook? If so why? I am sort of thinking that a gill won't take the treble. I picked a bunch of these up cheap at gander mountain. Mainly target crappie, perch, and gills.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Changing treble to single hook???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I will sometimes replace the trebles with a single and other times I will replace them with a smaller sized treble.

No matter which hook I have on I usually tip them with something.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Straight single hook replacement or single hook/jig on a dropper using the spoon as a fast dropping attractor, people have been doing it effectively for years

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Keep trebel on some and go for a dropper trebel on others for the finicky bite.  Hali makes a good dropper setup.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Thanks fellas
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I second the Hali.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I put single hooks on the the majority of my spoons. I usually use red thin wire "Mosquito" hooks that are super sharp and thin. I also take some of my spoons and turn them into droppers. Actually I have one of those spoons in the pic with a dropper setup with a small jig on the end and caught quite a few fish with it.

Offline Fredric

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Sweden
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Have you tried pimping your trebles? In Scandinavia, that is the second most important thing after getting a proper jigging spoon. You can still tip them with something if you like. Choosing the right colors and size of the hook can make a huge diffrence in my opinion. By using a double snap you can switch to another size or color in a second. I often start to try to find a color thatīs similar to what I guess the fish normally eats. I also carry droppers in different length to increase the distance between the spoon and the hook if necessary. A longer dropper is effective to attract slower fish and shorter for the more aggressive ones.

I never use a single hook under the spoon. The few days when the fish donīt like the trebles I use a small tungsten momyshka and increase the distance to my spoon even more. About 4 inches.

It is interesting that our techniques is a bit diffrent and I believe we can learn something from each other.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2009, 01:00 PM »
when i find a jig spoon that worksm I usually buy a few and modify two of them, one to a single hook, the other to a dropper.  My fav spoon to do this with is the slender spoon by CJ&S,

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2009, 04:21 PM »
I think it's a brilliant idea Fredric and I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about them in the states. I guess I was out of the loop. But i'm in now. Someone was nice enough to tip me off to them  ;) I looked them up and can't wait to try them out.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2009, 06:35 PM »
I usually cut the treble into a double hook first.  I usually do this for stream trout fishing and my hook up ratio has improved.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2009, 09:26 PM »
super sharp hooks is the key also run your lure over the palm of your hand if it sticks its sharp :o also trebles give you a hook to dress up fredrics treble looks good to me look out trout  
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:01 PM »
I usually change out to a single hook as I find that the smaller the presentation usually the better the reaction.

J-

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Does anyone change the treble to a single hook? If so why? I am sort of thinking that a gill won't take the treble. I picked a bunch of these up cheap at gander mountain. Mainly target crappie, perch, and gills.
If its in my ice fishing box its always single hooked. Think about it, your on a big school of perch, every fish you catch just about has your hook half way to its inners lol you have to stop and fish it out sometimes being a real bummer especially if its a treble. with a single hook it takes half the time allowing you to get back in the water quicker therefor catching more fish. I didnt think this to be an issue till a friend of mine (a veteran ice fisherman) layed it down to me just like i did for you. it also allows better fish survival for i have seen people just rip a treble out of a fish only to leave it on the ice with half its guts in its mouth to die and its usually the smaller ones you wouldnt keep anyways. 1 less fish to catch in the future

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:52 PM »
If its in my ice fishing box its always single hooked. Think about it, your on a big school of perch, every fish you catch just about has your hook half way to its inners lol you have to stop and fish it out sometimes being a real bummer especially if its a treble. with a single hook it takes half the time allowing you to get back in the water quicker therefor catching more fish. I didnt think this to be an issue till a friend of mine (a veteran ice fisherman) layed it down to me just like i did for you. it also allows better fish survival for i have seen people just rip a treble out of a fish only to leave it on the ice with half its guts in its mouth to die and its usually the smaller ones you wouldnt keep anyways. 1 less fish to catch in the future
  That was the same line of thinking that I had; Up unt'll a couple of weeks ago when I went crappie fishing w/ Fredrics' spoons & tiny trebles......I was absolutely blown away w/ the hook-up % and also the ease of taking the hooks out....The tricked out trebles were way smaller than I had ever used ; They surely made a believer out of me!!!....I would say that the vast majority were hooked by only ONE point on the little trebles, And the hook came out of the fish as easy,& in most cases easier than they would have on a single hook.....(I'm a BELIEVER!)...One trip is not a very scientific survey / But That is what happened......Gonna test 'em out some more, because I ordered more jigs & trebles & droppers....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.