Author Topic: Spring bobbers?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Spring bobbers?
« on: Dec 05, 2003, 06:34 AM »
Does anyone have a favorite spring bobber??
I have always used the best value models (ie cheapest) and used electrical tape to attach.  Unfortunately, they sometimes rotate on the tip after some use.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Come on northern Illinois ice!!!!!

Kinky

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re:Spring bobbers?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2003, 06:46 AM »
I keep one rod set up with a spring bobber for friends that are just starting out at ice fishing. It's easy to see the bite. I prefer a light tipped rod.

I use the flat spring type and attach them as follows;
- tack the spring to the rod with a drop of hot melt glue..sticks are available from the hardware store

- whip finish the spring to the rod

-coat with clear nail polish or clear epoxy

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2003, 01:00 PM »
I usually take the spring out of a Bic@ lighter and tie it to the end (top) guide about 1/2 to 2/3 of the ways back on the spring lenghth using some mono , paint the end of the spring white then red with some of the wife or daughters nail polish. Thread your line thru the middle of the spring. It is very sensitive !!   But then again , the wife is sensitive too after seeing that i stole her nail polish !!!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2003, 02:07 PM »
I have been making my "spring bodders" out of 80 pound Maxima and a leader sleeve.  I cut a piece of mono about 7 " long and run one end through one side of the sleeve and form a loop, about 3/8 ", and run the end back into the sleeve and crimp.  I put a bit of bright paint on the loop to make it easier to see.  I slide the un-crimped end throught the tip-top guide bridge and fasten it to the rod.  You can use glue, tape, thread wraps, etc. .  I have started using small "o" rings.  I can slide the mono to any length I need, or even pull the bobber off the rod if I need to.  I don't know how I made this so long, I just started to say I always keep at least one rod with a spring bobber rigged for the tuff bites.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:14 PM »
I do the samething as turkey hunter but use duct tape, i like your idea on tying it on with mono. One problem i have is it ice's up in the spring bobber and i have to put it in my mouth to defrost.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline afishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2003, 09:43 PM »
The Bait Store , a local shop, has a straight wire spring bobber with the tight spring and loop on one end and the other end he has wraped with a red or green plastic tubing and a 1/2" loop (eye). I connect the loop on the end eye of my rod with the little spring, but I put it on so it points back at the real. Stays out of the way and doesn't get bent up so bad.
Stay warm Afishingfool

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2003, 04:09 AM »
Thanks Tony...looking forward to seeing them..and you!

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2003, 04:53 PM »

i use .020 piano wire. Cut a piece about 7 -8 " long wrap it around some thing small like a bic pen maybe two three times, it will spring open to about 1/2 to 3/4" pinch it shut sodder it or hot glue it closed. About 1" from the back bend it 360* lay it on top of the tip and wrap it with thread through a few half hitches in it and use clear finger nail polish. I have some that have been on my rod's for years. Paint the wire white first then put a coat of day glow red on it. The nice thing about the bigger loop on the end is when you done for the day all you have to do is back the jig out of the hole and too the rod, that way you arent so hard on the wire when you put it away. I make mine about 4 -5" long. If a fish even leaves fart around the jig I'll see it. ;D ;D
Always keep your line wet!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003, 06:29 PM »
I take the easy way out on this one.  K&E brand wire bobbers for me thanks.  I've tried the flat spring steel type with the painted tube on one end, and wire boggers by Lakeco.  Neither worked as well as the K&E in my book.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.