Author Topic: Cheap ice depth finder?any good?  (Read 6556 times)

oby

Cheap ice depth finder?any good?
« on: Nov 23, 2003, 06:09 AM »
Hello,
  Could anybody tell me if a $70 portable depth finder from cabelas do the job for ice fishing?  I fish mostly ponds and small lakes.  I'm just using it to get an idea of the bottom and the depth.
   Hope the ice isn't too thick this year, so I can use my hand auger.  Good luck. Oby

mngonefishing

Re:Cheap ice depth finder?any good?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:10 PM »
I would spend the extra $$ and buy a used fl-8. it should only be about 30 dollars more. it will be worth every penny. You wont have to drill a hole to get the depth with a fl-8 just pore some water on the ice and place your puck down and read the depth. good luck.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:14 PM »
MGF is right fl-8.

Wables

« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:25 PM »
I rigged up an old Eagle for ice fishing last year, and it worked better than nothing.  I then bought a Vex and haven't looked back since.  IMHO, there is no comparison between the two.  The only thing I will say about the LCD is that if you have too short of an attention span to watch the Vex, you can look at the LCD every 30 seconds and see what you missed.  (My 7 year old will be using the LCD this year.)  I would hate to see you spend a C-note on an LCD for ice fishing, when you could spend another fifty and get a used Vex.  That reminds me, using a open water transducer for ice fishing is a pain in the arse whichever way you do it.  Being able to just drop the transducer into the hole is well worth the extra money.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:34 PM »
Hey mngonefishing,you say for 30 bucks more you can
buy a used fl-8,that would be 100 bucks.
Now where can you find such a deal like that.
Just curious.......
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:46 PM »
What Cooley said.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2003, 07:37 PM »
I don't know how good they are , but on ebay they have a little hand held unit that's sposed to work on/thru the ice for about $50.00. Haven't seen anybody post a thing about these yet or if anybody's even bought one.

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2003, 12:49 PM »
Yeah, where can you get a vex for a bill.  Is buying used the same a s getting someone elses problems?
t'pup!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2003, 01:17 PM »
The best deal I’ve found on a Vex is at www.Vexilar.com.  You can get a refurbished FL-8 for around $250.00.  On e-bay I’ve seen used models sell for more than that, and the refurbished models come with a warrantee.  Let me know if you find them cheaper.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2003, 06:21 PM »
You should be able to find a used flasher for $100.00 or less. Heck i have seen old hummingbirds go for way less than a c-note. Whew! A rebuilt fl-8 goes for that much money? oby, if you can't afford a fl-8 look for any older used flasher, my neighbor has a real old hummingbird and i think it cost $99.00 new.

mngonefishing

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2003, 06:41 PM »
I bought my son a used fl-8 on Yahoo auctions for 106+11 SH Total 117.00 dollars. (now maybe I can play with my own fl-8) It may take a couple of weeks looking. good luck

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2003, 02:31 AM »
Cheap ice depth finder?
the chepist depth finder i know of is a chunk of lead and an alligator clip.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2003, 05:54 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I was thinking a padded bucket top would be nice to own.  Owning a vex would be like dreaming.
   I did finally get a hut for xmas birthday annervisery and all that next year too!!!
  Da-Roc

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:50 PM »
Da Roc: Money must be kinda tight round your house. I feel for ya bud. Dont buy a bucket lid. Buy those foldy-up lawn chairs.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline nocash0000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2003, 07:42 PM »
hahahahahahah.that's great you guy's crack me up.
walk the hard water side.

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2003, 10:12 PM »
You can get cheap depth finders for under 100bucks its the fish finders that cost you the big bucks. My buddys got that hand held depth finder for 90$. But i would rather use the vexilar.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

kciH

« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2003, 01:09 AM »
I've seen the cheap Humminbird LCD's for sale at a discount retailer for under $70.  I used one of these for a few years with a simple box I built for it.  Worked great, but I fish from a portable most of the time when it's really cold.  You could see a bare hook and crappie minnow on the screen with the sensitivity turned up.  All in all, it was a pretty good deal for what I paid and it would go 5-6 trips easily without recharging a 12V7aH battery that I also used to run my radio.  Not nearly as good as the purpose built stuff, but it was cheap and I caught lots of fish in a state with a short ice season.

big_buddah

« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2003, 12:49 PM »
I use a old humminbird bird trap have used it for years and it works great you can find them for around $30.00 to $50.00.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2003, 01:32 PM »
I just now found a Humminbird TMH-60 birdtrap on EBay. The auction was ready to end and my bid of nine dollars bought it! Even with shipping it'll still be under twenty dollars.
I use a old humminbird bird trap have used it for years and it works great you can find them for around $30.00 to $50.00.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2003, 06:35 AM »
I've fished the past 10 years with an Eagle Fish ID. No major complaints, just gotta accept the limitations. With mine I was able to zoom the bottom five feet in 30-40 feet of water with good resolution. It finally popped its last ping, and I've got an Ultra Pack on my Christamas list. There's still a part of me that likes a lot of the LCD features, though, and I'm looking at the Lowrance X67C Ice Machine. Whatever I get, I want zoom with vertical pan control. Anyone know anything about the X67C? 8) :'(

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2003, 07:22 AM »
Peguin, go to the Ice fishing tips thread and under equipment there is a topic on the x67c

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.