Author Topic: Aqua-Vu  (Read 4612 times)

Minim

Aqua-Vu
« on: Nov 21, 2003, 08:47 PM »
Which is the best aqua-vu for ice fishing?

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Aqua-Vu
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2003, 09:00 PM »
Any model Aqua-vu is good for ice fishing, with the exception, ironically, of the new "Ice Pro" model which was designed for ice fishing specifically.  Of course that's just my $.02....

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2003, 09:53 AM »
Whichever one you buy, make sure you also get the little stand that holds the camera in place.  It you don't, you'll spend most of your time trying to find your jigs -- line twist in the cable tends to make the camera slowly turn from side to side.  With the stand the camera does not move because the cable is locked in place.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2003, 03:47 PM »
I'm sure that whichever model you get, it will make the overall ice experience more enjoyable. But, LuckyDog is right - buy the tripod. When you do, tie the ball (that attaches to the cable) to the tripod. If not there is a better than average chance that the ball will be down the hole after a couple of uses. I know,and so do a few of my friends, from experience.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2003, 05:30 PM »
I have the Aqua Vu MC2x with the 60 foot cable. It has done a great job but I have noticed that about halfway up the screen the image "bends" to the right. I connected the video out jack to my tv and the picture was fine so it must be the screen. I still get a clear picture but the perch look like they are bent.

Mike P. Sheahan

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2003, 07:02 PM »
I am an avid Aqua View user, but I would have to advise you to check out the new Marcum underwater system.

They made some huge improvements in design over the Aqua view this year with the new 360 degree rotating motorized camera, and the way the lights are positioned above the camera.  

That is exactly what profesional photographers do.  Get the lights away from the lens to minimize the refecton you get back.  That is what causes "Red Eye" in snapshots, and why pros don't get it, and also why at night the Aqua View is nearly useless.  Too much reflection back off the crap floating in the water.

My 2 cents.

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2003, 11:13 PM »
I bought a marcum vss500 last year because my buddy had an aqua view and I though it was just trick then when I saw the marcum with the motorized arm I had to have it. Big mistake-- right out of the box the unit didnt work, the picture would come on and shut right back off. so it took 3 days of calling and e-mailing to get someone to respond to me. Then off to marcum i shipped it.I got it back fast (1 1/2 weeks) but then the first time I tried to use it the picture was now trapezoid shaped. so tried to get in contact with them again, finally did and was told that I didnt know how to turn the two adjustment knobs on the back(like an old tv)well that still didnt fix it so off to marcum it went again. I got it back again pretty fast still had to pay shipping both times they told me that they just replaced the unit. well this time only half of the picture would show on the screen. I wanted to just stuff this thing down the hole (If it hadn't cost so much I probably would have) so then cabelas to the rescue,they told me if I wasn't happy just send it back and they would credit me . which they did no problems and no questions asked plus gave me my shipping back(thats how a company should take care of a problem)thats why i buy stuff from them almost every month I quess. my buddies aqua view worked all last year with not one problem and this year he bought the mo-pod(aqua views motorized pod w/remote control) so far seems to work pretty cool.  :(

Gillles

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2003, 02:02 AM »
jamie,

I've been debating on either buying a marcum or an aqua view, your recient summary of the marcum may make it a much easier decision.  What aqua view does your friend have?  I'm wondering what unit to by for both ice and open water.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the MX series.  Does anybody know of a underwater camera that is better than the aqua view?

Poll:  What is the best all around underwater camera on the market?????????

Minim

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2003, 11:50 AM »
 ;D I checked out the Aqua-Vu Ice Pro which is specifically built for hut ice fishing and is nice and clear with it's 7" screen.  The camera is mounted striaght down.  They're selling like hot cakes and the one I looked at was on hold. :(

Butthead

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:39 PM »
I have a marcum(OVS 400) and love it.  It has never let me down.  Makes ice fishing a lot more fun.

Offline wallyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:47 PM »
has any one tried the atlantis type are they any good

NAD42

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:53 PM »
No probs with my AQUA-VU Z-120 ...had good (day)viewing down 115' in Lake George...quite the thing...buy the tripod!

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2003, 07:25 AM »
dont waste money on the atlantis, i bought one took it back and the tackle store said every one they sold was returned :-[

Minim

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Have you checked out the new Lowrance X67C IceMachine?  It's a fishfinder and flasher in one.
Go to www.lowrance.com and have a look at their downloadable demo, very impressive!

The Wad

« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2003, 03:14 PM »
I have the Aqua Vu MC2x-60, and personally, if I were going to buy one right now, I wouldn't waste the extra $100 on the multi-colored lights, the infrared lights work fine, I haven't found a single situation yet where I could actually see anything with the multi-colored lights, the relection off particles in the water is way too bad. I would save the cash and buy the Z series.

Gillles

« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Has anyone else experienced what the Wad above this has experienced.  I'm in that perdiciment now, I'm not sure if I should by the Z or the MC2x.  What to do?

NAD42

« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2003, 08:36 PM »
Gillles, the Z series is all that you need. You'll be able to see what you need/want to. I have the Z-120 and it kicks butt....listen to The Wad, an owner of the MC2X....that posting says it all.

Gillles

« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:23 PM »
NAD42
Thanks for the info.  Whats the Z like during low light period or at night. By chance does anyone know if its possible to get the Z-120 below $350.

NAD42

« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I've only used it at night once and it was so so...I didnt have the tripod stand then so it was tough keeping the camera steady and the IR lights lit up all the disturbance in the water...I think the first 1/2 hour or so at dawn is the worst time for viewing...once it gets light out, you'll be amazed, even down 120 feet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.