Author Topic: How old is your vex?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How old is your vex?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:31 PM »
Bought my FLX-20 in December 2018 for $350. Was able to stack some coupons at Gander outdoors, not exactly sure if they were supposed to be used on locators but the cashier accepted it.

My old Humminbird Ice-45 lasted 10 seasons, it started acting about after about 5 years then limped it through 5 more years. Paid $350 in 2008, sold it for $150 in 2018 to a guy who said he knew how to fix it buy soldering some of the wires/ connections.

I am hoping this Vexilar lasts me 20+ more years! Once my son is a little older I plan to buy him a vexilar as well.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:35 PM »
Bought my FL-18 around 2005 and it is still on the original battery. It is a warhorse that has been bounced around and beat up and always performed flawlessly.

That said, I generally reach for the Striker 4 with the 15/45 'ducer these days. That wide beam is great in the shallow water I usually fish.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Still got and use my Zircom Clearwater Classic from 1994.
ive got one of those too.

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2023, 03:30 PM »
Looks to me that the old units are tried and true over a long time. Hopefully the newer units endure the tale of time and aren’t throwaways like everything else today.

Offline Tacoma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2023, 04:31 PM »
Bought an FL 8 back in the mid 80's only thing I ever did was replace the battery and still have it. Picked up an FL 28 when they came out.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:50 PM »
I can only guess how old my FL-8 is. Mid to late 90's. Still works as good as ever. I ended up breaking the transducer six or seven years ago, which I replaced with a tri beam. It still works fine today, but it's my backup. I've got an FLX-20 now, less than five years old, but I can tell it is going to hold up every bit as good as the FL-8 is.

Before the FL-8 I had a Lawrence green box, I don't remember what they were called. Looked kind of like an ammo can. It kind of worked at first, but it got so many problems over time I gave up on it. The old days were not so great for fish finders. Vexilar changed everything. Even the batteries. Those old 6V lantern batteries were junk. I'd give some of the newer tech a try if it were packaged better. My Humminbird Helix 8 is phenomenal at what it does, but it would never survive with me on the ice.
-Tom

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:05 PM »
On a seconds marcum troller after 4-6 years. It was cheap which is why I bought it. I guess you get what you pay for.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Chaim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:11 AM »
My FL20 turns 16 this year.  Purchased at Gander Mountain in Kalamazoo Michigan when I worked there in the early 2000's.  Still works like a champ today.
I'm surrounded by Iceholes...

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:53 PM »
I have had the fl8 se for quite awhile now. Have only had to replace a battery and a transducer. Well made.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2023, 02:53 AM »
23rd year on my fl8. All that it has ever needed is a new battery every couple years. Proven reliability. Just like my 2 old schooley rods, they both just plain work. I have a few "nicer" rods. But my schooleys work just as good. Other guys on ice tell me I am old school. Maybe so, but I catch just as many fish as they do. I always have fish in freezer when I want it.  Steve

Offline btwildfood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 19, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Love my FL8-SLT! Bought it in the mid-to-late 90s. Was one of the first in the electronic ice fishing revolution in the Eau Claire, WI area. Worked perfect with the original battery for several years, but started getting dimmer. My eyesight was getting worse at the time, too, so I didn't even realize the machine was getting worse for a while. I sent it in to Vexilar about 11 or 12 years ago to get it cleaned, new brushes, and new color LEDs installed for my colorblindness. They said the transducer was weak, and replaced that too(at no additional charge). Since then it has worked perfect every time.
    I modified the original Genz Ice Box quite a bit since then too...and gave it a lithium battery to reduce weight and increase batt life.
I love this little work of wonders! I even like the silence when I turn it off! LOL!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2023, 04:48 PM »
My fl-18 is 17 years old .  Bought it Jan. 2006.  Replaced the battery once but figure its because I charge it every 2 months.  Got the ultra pak and the bag to go with it.  Cleaned the wheel and brushes once.`Have two transducers for it a 12 & 19.  Love it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.