Indiana > Ice Fishing Indiana

Ice season

(1/7) > >>

bigr:
As of right now the season at best will be short to over. A polar vortex would change all that but that's not going to happen anytime in the next two weeks then it will take another few days after it hits. I'm hopeful we can get on what i call safe ice by late January but again right now that's being very optimistic. Not having ice doesn't shut down the fishing but i just didn't get my fix during that late dec run. Either give me ice or an early spring, say February.

Hexagenia51:
I noticed that most of the lakes I drove by today were skimmed over again, which tells me if we would just get another cold front or two, we could get back on. We need a “clipper” as the meteorologist say and we would have a chance. I see cold temperatures in Wisconsin and Minnesota but our weather has been coming out of the southwest rather than the northwest. Fingers crossed for a shift in the jet stream. Hex

Oaktree1215:
Might as well live where it's not cold in the winter. It's terrible being cold and muddy and not getting to get out fishing.

bigr:

--- Quote from: Oaktree1215 on Jan 11, 2023, 08:21 AM ---Might as well live where it's not cold in the winter. It's terrible being cold and muddy and not getting to get out fishing.

--- End quote ---
You can still get fishing just not on the ice. The bite is back on at the Sally and i would bet you can pick up fish on the Missy also. Having said that it still sucks not having ice when we should have ice. Seems like it always takes a polar vortex to make ice. Polar vortexes are too cold for this old man to fish during so i have to wait til it warms a bit and by that time it seems it starts a slow to sometimes a fast melt. Am i asking for too much for say 30's for highs and teens for lows for a month or so. 

fishinator:
I'm beyond bummed. Wasn't able to get out during the short cold snap we had due to work.
  Booked a couple shanties on sturgeon bay mid February to fish for whitefish,  just hoping they have ice so I can at least get my fix.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version