Indiana > Ice Fishing Indiana

Lake Michigan Coho

<< < (6/7) > >>

pearcheyes:
Thanks for the relies and I was mainly referring to the early spring coho where they are really close to shore

R.S.:
never found the need for a boat this time of year.  just chunk out some shrimp or crawlers with trout paste from shore.  the major creek mouths will fill up with fish very very soon.

TeacherPreacher:
Not really a Coho man, although caught bunches back in the day when all the craziness started. A few years ago we had a couple of days in March in the 70's so took my 16' Starcraft out at Portage with a buddy that loved spring Coho. Trolled around in front of break wall  and west a ways with silver and black Hot'nTots , no weight.  Had  a limit in a couple of hours. Never got more then couple hundred yards off the beach.
Teach

2LMKR2:

--- Quote from: pearcheyes on Mar 10, 2022, 08:11 PM ---Looking to try trolling for coho .I don’t have down riggers or planer boards or dopey divers but can you just troll with diving plugs and still have some luck hooking up.And what plugs would anyone that trolls for them recommend.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

You don't need anything fancy to troll this time of year. Planer boards just spread out your lures. You can still run 4 or 5 flat lines without too many tangles, just watch your turns! That's how I started years ago. Most any minnow type of lure will work. Hot'n Tots, Thin Fins, Rapalas, Reef Runners all work great! You can vary your spread depth by running a few deep divers. I use keel trolling weights quite often, I use a 30” to 36” momo leader with a snap swivel to attach the lure, and a ball swivel on the other end, then a snap swivel on the main line for the leader. If you want the lure to run deeper just add a 3/8, ½, 5/8, ¾ oz trolling weight between the main line and the leader, and you can run with or without weight and change or adjust in a matter of seconds.

pearcheyes:
Going to be expensive trip for sure if I would hook up or not but been watching you tube videos and I have the fever.Another question what size rods would anyone recommend .I don’t have any trolling rods per say but sportsman whate house has some relatively cheap combos that would probably work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version