Author Topic: Large storage tote alternative to jet sled  (Read 2107 times)

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Large storage tote alternative to jet sled
« on: Sep 15, 2021, 08:33 AM »
So here's where I am at and want opinions.

I have an ATV and just purchased a snowmobile. So I have run flip overs and jet sleds for years. Last year I ran a hub shack exclusively and don't plan to go back to a flip.

This leaves me thinking about storeage. I've used jet sleds but don't find them deep enough or tough enough. I've blown through a few sleds before and I know I can put a cover on them but I just don't like the soft cover filling up with snow and slush.

I would like to get a storeage tote large enough to hold my rod bag (42") flasher, tipups, etc. My plan is to build a smitty type sled that I can put the tote on when needed as well as my hub shack. I dont want the tote or box to be permanently mounted though because I want to be able to put it on the snowmobile rack and/or atv rack depending on my needs.

I looked at the plano sportsman tote but it's only 37 inches.

Does anyone have a similar setup or suggestions?
Rob

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Large storage tote alternative to jet sled
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2021, 10:09 AM »
Only options that come to mind are Christmas tree totes which would be too thin of material or a gun case which would be too flat most likely

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I may need to just keep the rods in their own hard case and use a normal size tote for the rest
Rob

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2021, 10:28 AM »
I guess you could make some PVC pipe cases/cover ..and attach them onto a tote ..horizontal or standing up .some bungee cord to keep the rods in place

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Was going to suggest a concrete or drywall mixing tub, but those seem to top out at 36" too. Can't find a picture, but when I built a smitty, I made mine extra wide so that I had a space for my hub to sit outside the tub. The tub fit everything else, would think a hard rod case like one of the eagle claws could fit where I have my hub. I just added some eyebolts so I could tie down with bungees, quick and easy.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2021, 06:49 PM »
So here's where I am at and want opinions.

I have an ATV and just purchased a snowmobile. So I have run flip overs and jet sleds for years. Last year I ran a hub shack exclusively and don't plan to go back to a flip.

This leaves me thinking about storeage. I've used jet sleds but don't find them deep enough or tough enough. I've blown through a few sleds before and I know I can put a cover on them but I just don't like the soft cover filling up with snow and slush.

I would like to get a storeage tote large enough to hold my rod bag (42") flasher, tipups, etc. My plan is to build a smitty type sled that I can put the tote on when needed as well as my hub shack. I dont want the tote or box to be permanently mounted though because I want to be able to put it on the snowmobile rack and/or atv rack depending on my needs.

I looked at the plano sportsman tote but it's only 37 inches.

Does anyone have a similar setup or suggestions?

My buddy had a Frabill sled that was like a big tote that had a screw off lid to put a 5gallon bucket in and a long door that opened you could put gear in. It hand the hard top Might have been called an ice shuttle or something. Worked ok and would be great to use with a hub.

We just found it’s easier to pull a flip over out with a 4 wheeler and storing all the gear in the flip over sled.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2021, 12:21 AM »
Contico tuff boxes are great.  But they're kind of spendy and does have some weight to them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.