Author Topic: Lite Weight Drill Augers  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lite Weight Drill Augers
« on: Sep 05, 2021, 03:43 PM »
What's the best choice (and why):

Eskimo Pistol Bit, Strikemaster Lite Flite, or K-drill. 6" hole is what I will need.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Lite Weight Drill Augers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2021, 06:54 PM »
What's the best choice (and why):

Eskimo Pistol Bit, Strikemaster Lite Flite, or K-drill. 6" hole is what I will need.

The cheapest one you can find.

I had a 7.5in k drill a few years ago. Auger was fine....but it cuts slow......I sold it for what I bought it for after 3 trips. I thought the unit would be smooth for in the wheel house......it wasn't. When I'd drill the hole....it threw ice shavings so aggressively that it threw them all over the wheel house floor....even using a drill hole bucket. Then the 7.5in áuger they call an 8in back then......was to small to use my 8in one shot skimmers to clean the holes. Was not impressed with it, but it's resale holds fairly well. 

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I would get the pistol bit. It uses shaver blades that are easy to sharpen/get sharpened and cheap to replace/readily available. I believe you can use sweedish mora blades on them too. Also has a center point so it won't walk on you.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2021, 07:32 PM »
Note unless the 2022 season  model 6" Eskimo Pistol Bit gets an upgrade ..it dosent have a center point ..on glare ice it kinda required. Otherwise.

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Make/Model                                          Price

HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight    $$$
Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION.. Mora/Straight     $$$$
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved    $$$
K Drill...                      Chipper             $$$$
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight    $$$
Nils.................. ..........                       $$$$$
Razr S                                                 $$$
Mora hand auger....     Mora/Straight      $$
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Wow - that's a lot of info., Thanks! Just a little more info for you... I have a Mora auger on a clam plate. It works great! But I tried my buddies pistol bit and another ones K-drill last year. I couldn't believe the light weight, it was great! So now I'm planning on a switchover this year.

As far as drills go, I have that covered with owning several Hilti drills. These are the real contractor grade units. They rate them at 750 in/lbs I believe, but they run more torque than most other drills with higher ratings.

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2021, 08:17 PM »
I used a 8" mora on a clam plate for 2 years and it worked good but skated once in awhile and quite grabby at breakthru.switched to the ht edrill because it was priced right and its light,smooth cutting all the way thru with its center point and ring around the bottom of auger.and mora blades fit it is another bonus.its a bit taller than my mora too so i dont need my extension.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2021, 11:58 PM »
Wow - that's a lot of info., Thanks! Just a little more info for you... I have a Mora auger on a clam plate. It works great! But I tried my buddies pistol bit and another ones K-drill last year. I couldn't believe the light weight, it was great! So now I'm planning on a switchover this year.

As far as drills go, I have that covered with owning several Hilti drills. These are the real contractor grade units. They rate them at 750 in/lbs I believe, but they run more torque than most other drills with higher ratings.

I would lean toward a Mora style/shaver bladed auger ..as you could use your current blades from your 8" Mora as back up and/or your primary set as they may be  stainless steel(most other auger blades are not stainless steel). But if you go K-Drill you may be fine ...when the K-Drill first came out they were recommending the best at the time Milwaukee with 725 in/lbs of torque 

If you go with the K-Drill going to need an adapter to get onto the Clam Plate.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/k-drill-power-auger-adapter-for-conversion-kit.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2021, 06:07 AM »
Good call. I did not realize the 6" doesn't have a center point. Strange  ???

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Just some more food for thought - the new sponsor, Nisus, has some nice looking augers with a good price point on them. They are supposed to be in stock this month. I plan to give one of those a try.
As for the current big name brands - I have to agree with agronomist, cheaper the better. At this point we're comparing ford vs chevy vs dodge (except for the pistol bit, I don't get why they haven't added the centering point). I currently run the K-drill, this will be my 4th season with it. No complaints outside of it being slower than the others and using a little more battery. I'd like either a shaver blade, or a modified shaver blade which is looks like Nisus has a few different options for. I don't fish dirty water or open old holes, which is really the only benefit of a chipper style blade.
Da Pack!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:42 AM »
Thank you! I just ordered this unit. $120 and a $15 coupon at checkout. Have to try it. Mora blades are a bonus to me since I got four spare sets from Gander Mountain going out of business a few years ago.

Thats a 6 inch auger ..you do know that

And Please make a separate post/ unboxing review if you can ..this brand is new on the market and could give ice anglers a new option/consideration ..plus do a follow up on ice review . I think you are the first to order .

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Thats a 6 inch auger ..you do know that

Yep. That's the size we use.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Yep. That's the size we use.

And Please make a separate post/ unboxing review if you can ..this brand is new on the market and could give ice anglers a new option/consideration ..plus do a follow up on ice review . I think you are the first to order .

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:52 AM »

I'd be curious to see how you like it as well! Keep us posted!
Da Pack!

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2021, 10:57 AM »
I'd be curious to see how you like it as well! Keep us posted!

Will do!

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:15 PM »
Will do!

Interested as well, considering getting the 8” one.  Will you be able to tell if the mora blades will fit as a replacement? 

I think my only real concern is not being able to find replacement blades.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2021, 08:31 AM »
Will do!

Thanks ..just a tip on the auger cover ..get a ball bungee ..drill a hole under the current strap placement notch ..and slip/weave the ball bungee through ..

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

Very similar to this below ..

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2021, 09:49 PM »
Used a 7.5” kdrill for three years, worked great but like agronomist said, it’s really rough, and it cuts slow. If I didn’t have my 9ah battery on it would catch at the bottom of the hole and stop the drill. This will be my third season with the 8” strike master liteflite. I don’t think you can go wrong with either it or the Eskimo pistol bit. My brother in law has that one and it works just as well.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:14 AM »
I used a 5 inch Lazer for years, and last spring went to the 6 inch pistol. Nothing cuts faster than the Lazer, but between the aggressive blades and the steel flights, it would grab to a dangerous degree on soft ice.layered slush. The Pistol is lighter, and the plastic flights do not jam in the hole like the steel ones. I have not tried them all, but I can say that you will not be sorry with a pistol bit, or probably one of the clones available. I have not ever felt the need for a center point with either drill, or a clam plate either. If you try it without the clam plate, you will save a few more pounds. You can always add that back in if you don't like it.

:tipup:

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:08 AM »
I used a 5 inch Lazer for years, and last spring went to the 6 inch pistol. Nothing cuts faster than the Lazer, but between the aggressive blades and the steel flights, it would grab to a dangerous degree on soft ice.layered slush. The Pistol is lighter, and the plastic flights do not jam in the hole like the steel ones. I have not tried them all, but I can say that you will not be sorry with a pistol bit, or probably one of the clones available. I have not ever felt the need for a center point with either drill, or a clam plate either. If you try it without the clam plate, you will save a few more pounds. You can always add that back in if you don't like it.

:tipup:
Lazers are a great by hand but friggin scary with a drill. I actually sold my 7" Lazer last month and will be getting a new bit for my drill setup because I got tired of about breaking my wrists with that bottom grab last season. I just use the Mora by hand for thinner ice.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2021, 01:33 PM »
The break through is tough on the lazers..even on the Mora at times ..one bad injury/wrenching you could be impaired or worse yet out of commission for the season . Having a center point is a plus ... I am a Clam Plate fan boy ..on my 7.5 K-Drill ..8" HT E-Drill ...and soon to be 8"  Eskimo Pistol Bit..but to each their own and its always good to have options .

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2021, 05:19 PM »
How are the Nils hand augers when using a drill?

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 08, 2021, 08:45 PM »

They cut like mad! They make a power version that somehow cuts a bit less aggressively, but the hand version can be adapted to a drill and drills fast! Like any aggressive drill with steel flights, you can get jamming or grabbing if you let the hole get packed with chips. The new composite drills are lighter, but I feel the best thing about them is the flexible flights still convey chips out of the hole, but if they start getting stuck, they seem to flex and keep spinning smoothly. All mine with steel flights have a tendency to stick in the hole and jam my wrist in layered/slushy conditions.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2021, 09:12 PM »
They cut like mad! They make a power version that somehow cuts a bit less aggressively, but the hand version can be adapted to a drill and drills fast! Like any aggressive drill with steel flights, you can get jamming or grabbing if you let the hole get packed with chips. The new composite drills are lighter, but I feel the best thing about them is the flexible flights still convey chips out of the hole, but if they start getting stuck, they seem to flex and keep spinning smoothly. All mine with steel flights have a tendency to stick in the hole and jam my wrist in layered/slushy conditions.

Thanks for the info!  I picked one up, barely used, this summer for cheap (guy used it once and is moving South).  For the auger and an adapter I was all in for $90

It’s a 6” one, so looking for an 8” setup and thinking of the Vevor that’s mentioned above.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I picked one up, barely used, this summer for cheap (guy used it once and is moving South).  For the auger and an adapter I was all in for $90

It’s a 6” one, so looking for an 8” setup and thinking of the Vevor that’s mentioned above.

The larger you go, the more important the weight and smooth cutting of the modern composite drill matters. I have used 4.5 and 6 inch Nils without a CLAM plate, and they were fine- not sure about an 8 inch. If you are going new, go with a drill designed with a drill in mind.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:40 PM »

Nils are the best, and it's not even close. They cut smooth, break through smooth. And are a solid design that is easy to drill by hand.

Downside is sending in the blade head in for sharpening & buying a spare blade.
 They use to be expensive, but not compared to what companies want for these synthetic augers.

Put a power point cutting head on, and your good to go with a drill unit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2021, 10:54 PM »

Are you using a hand mora on the clam plate? If so the weight should be similar to the ones you mentioned. If not lighter. The only reason to move from the mora IMO is if you are getting a unit with a center point, which is a great thing for safety to keep the Áuger from skating.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2021, 11:25 PM »
I agree with the 6” Nils. I run it with a Milwaukee Fuel, and haven’t had any issues with “skating” or “grabbing” at the bottom of the hole. I’ll drill through 24” of ice with no
problems, and use a 5AH battery that lasts me all day. I’m sure you can find a faster auger, but as far as I’m concerned, the Nils is well worth the extra $$$. I’ll bet you will find the 8” will get the job done as well as the 6” does.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Sep 09, 2021, 05:13 AM »
Are you using a hand mora on the clam plate? If so the weight should be similar to the ones you mentioned. If not lighter. The only reason to move from the mora IMO is if you are getting a unit with a center point, which is a great thing for safety to keep the Áuger from skating.

I do not have the clam plate, I’ll be running it with a Milwaukee 2804 and likely using the 6” only for early season brook trout.

Like I mentioned I’m looking at the vevor and it does have a centering point, which along with safety I think will be helpful for late season pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.